2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Getting Ready For Spring Reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Ready For Spring Reconditioning

Hey guys.

Well, hopefully spring will be closely upon us. Having this said, not only do you finally get to go out and wash your car the right way, but you also have to do some solid maintenence from the previous winter hell. In this case, I'm referring to my car. I think she's got about 25k on her now. So she's no spring chicken anymore. Especially after only a year and 4 months. She's approaching another oil change. I'm getting an Injen CAI come spring, and I run a gas treatment bottle about once a month (for good measure). Always use BP 93. Anything I should look into that benefits our 2.4? Such as, I've heard guys do a synthetic oil conversion, different spark plugs, etc. I'd like to hear some pro's and con's about these different things. I have no concern on spending a little bit of money to get it running better. I'm even interested in just general other thingsthat can boost performance or drivability even a little. I'm not sure if I want to get an exhaust (due to mine being auto and I think I4's with autos and big mufflers sound gay) or anything like that, but just give me some pointers. This is my first BRAND NEW car, so I'm trying to do everything I can to keep her running well. I'm also getting a tune on my tranny too. Post up anything, plugs, wires, etc. Anything.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM

switch over to synthetic for sure. Better stuff.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Word. To do that properly (since i'm at like 25% now) do I have to fill it with synthetic, then flush and put synthetic in again? Or just completely flush it, then pour it in like normally? I've never done a conversion before. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Word. To do that properly (since i'm at like 25% now) do I have to fill it with synthetic, then flush and put synthetic in again? Or just completely flush it, then pour it in like normally? I've never done a conversion before. Thanks!
just flush it and fill it up like regular....and the gas treatments im not so sure you should be putting that in.....and also ive heard alot of good reviews about the bosche platinum 4 spark plugs so you might wanna try them
Old 02-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mike25
just flush it and fill it up like regular....and the gas treatments im not so sure you should be putting that in.....and also ive heard alot of good reviews about the bosche platinum 4 spark plugs so you might wanna try them
The factory AC Delco double platinum plugs are 10x better than any plug that Bosch makes. Anytime we've used Bosch, the car comes back within 6 months with multiple misfires.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 PM

don't flush it. Waste of money for such a new car. Just drain and refill with the synthetic.

Go for an exhaust---I know auto/I4s don't sound great--factory or aftermarket-- but you'll pick up a gain if you bolt on a better system. Damed if you do, damned if you don't
Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Alrighty now. I've decided I'm going to synthetic oil. what's the proper procedure? just drain old, pour in new? lol. Any additives to suggest? Or aren't additives good for synthetic? And lastly, what should I use? Mobil-1 (like the s/c), Royal Purple, Redline, etc. I was figuring on Mobil-1.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Banned

Proper procedure is

Drain old oil
Put in new filter
Fill with synthetic.

No need to flush, it'll be fine. Once synthetic has run through the motor it will do its on "flush" and by the first oil change your gravy. And no need to change earlier with synthetic, even on your first synthetic run.

As far as what to run, I'd go Amsoil, their truly the best, better than mobil1, but harder to find. Otherwise go Mobil1 or Redline. Royal Purple breaks down before 3K miles in most tests.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Mobil 1 or Castro,Syntec--they are the ony ones approved by GM.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Word. I think I'm going Mobil-1. Simply because I'll go to the GM dealership and get the oil cap from the s/c that has the Mobil-1 logo and says synthetic on it. That way, when I go to trade it in, people will be reminded that it's synthetic. Plus, it looks cooler than the stock piece.

Also, any reccomended additives? I have one I bought like a year ago and just never dumped it in. It's one by The Outlaw or something like that. I used the Slick 50 one on my Monte transmission a few months back and it seemed to help a bit...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Word. I think I'm going Mobil-1. Simply because I'll go to the GM dealership and get the oil cap from the s/c that has the Mobil-1 logo and says synthetic on it. That way, when I go to trade it in, people will be reminded that it's synthetic. Plus, it looks cooler than the stock piece.

Also, any reccomended additives? I have one I bought like a year ago and just never dumped it in. It's one by The Outlaw or something like that. I used the Slick 50 one on my Monte transmission a few months back and it seemed to help a bit...
don't use any oil additives.

At least thats what is recomended by the companies that make the oil
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM

just changed my oil 2 days ago. put in mobil 1. first oil change so far. LOVE the synthetic. i dunno if its cuz my oil change was over due, but my car feels ALOT better with the synthetic in it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by roccobladr
just changed my oil 2 days ago. put in mobil 1. first oil change so far. LOVE the synthetic. i dunno if its cuz my oil change was over due, but my car feels ALOT better with the synthetic in it.
Word up man. This comming weekend is supposed to be like 50 or something. Maybe i'll finally be able to do a good wash/vaccuum and hopefully get to this oil change! Is the oil easy to do yourself on this car? For my last oil change, I had a complimentary one from my dealership.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 AM

my dad and i did it. the hardest part was findindg the screw and the oil filter! had no idea why the oil filter was there lol. other then that, its just like...changing oil.

i guess the hardest part was finding a spot to put the jack.

theres a half decent how to on here if u need. if not feel free to PM