2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

LSJ Throttle Body Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good, but $90 is a little out of my price range, sorry.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
well at least you know it works perfect. ZZP sent me a used one and its messing up.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM

idk about running like **** with no tune either. i guess everyone could be different, but i get the feeling most of you were tuned before the TB install, which may throw it off more. i put mine on, disconnected the battery for 10 mins and drove it. i get 30-32 combined MPG.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Ya I was tuned before I put it on. It ran kinda crappy after I put it on
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by noorjariri
make an adapter plate, it would be easy as hell in any machine shop
Meaning I go to a machine shop and make it myself, or I find a machine shop near me and ask for it to be made (with specs in hand) in one of the following: [Lawrence, KS 66045], or [Overland Park, KS 66223], or [Kansas City]?

If I am supposed to go to a Machine Shop, can someone link me to the physical address/location or webpage for one close to one of the locations listed above?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm going to knock out a few birds with one big stone here..

><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Originally Posted by wayfarer
post a pic of the adapter plate in this thread. I have machining capability, bet I could make it.
I saw this, and we're messaging, and I just revisited this thread and just now put 2 and 2 together. If you don't have specs for the adapter plate I can try and email ZZPerformance via their site, or eBay seller question to see if I can get specs.. I believe it's on their site though somewhere..

Originally Posted by startingline05
lol, you do know hp and trifecta is just tunning software right? The person tuning it is what makes the tune aggressive or not.
How would I get from start to finish including downloading a program for my laptop etc? I know I would have to buy a cable to go from OBDII to USB (correct me if I'm wrong please).

Originally Posted by Dragonsfire12345
that is correct, not sure if will go into limp mode but I'm sure it will run like **** without a retune. As for minor retunes being free that is correct. I'm a trifecta dealer for San Antonio
I've been working with Brent from the Kansas City area, and I texted him about it:

----------

Me: Hey Brent, it's Michael. You tuned my 06 Cobalt SS for me recently. I was thinking of doing a throttle body swap to a more responsive LSJ throttle body; Would a datalog and retune be free?

Him: I'll check

Me: Thanks

Him: You will need a retune. I'm trying to pin Vince down if a charge. You gonna install yourself?

Me: Yeah, I am.

Him: Tune update is free. Next time there may be a charge.

----------

Essentially I'm asking if this is something typical, or by him saying "Next time there may be a charge." does that mean he doesn't want to really have to do more free retunes, or is Vince actually going to charge him for it?

Originally Posted by LS6Rally
I did the Swap, as well as Noor, and chevy girl.

I did mine for about $135.

TB was $50 shipped, Plate was $70 shipped and $15 for the wiring adapter. my car was already 8 pin, but the wires are not pined out the same. and i believe your car should be 8 pin as well.

i would suggest this kit and that used TB you can get for $40.

ZZPerformance - LE5 Throttlebody Adapter Plate #ZZ-LE5-TBAP

would be 160 ish out the door, which isnt bad.

secondly you do not need a tune to run this TB, the car will run and operate fine.
Where did you get the adapter plate that cheap? And if I could buy the 8-pin to 8-pin adapter harness for $15, I would just to make it easy.. But if I can't, I have a lot of experience cutting, splicing, and wiring electronics in my car (not that it's such an amazing or difficult thing to do). Would I be okay if I knew I had confidence making the connections that I would need to avoid the harness conversion charge? I pulled a diagram off a thread from here, I believe it was a thread by Beck:

Name:  TBwiringharness.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  49.6 KB

This would be assuming I cut the wires and switched the wires I need before the pins.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody is going to give you specs, they're going to sell you their product, but...

I looked at the pictures-- you can make it. get a piece of 3/8 plate, drill and tap throttle body holes, drill and countersink manifold holes. Cut out and shape center hole. silicon gasket maker --- DONE!

if ya wanna get trick use a heat isolator material-- phenolic plastic, hardwood, etc
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Nobody is going to give you specs, they're going to sell you their product, but...

I looked at the pictures-- you can make it. get a piece of 3/8 plate, drill and tap throttle body holes, drill and countersink manifold holes. Cut out and shape center hole. silicon gasket maker --- DONE!

if ya wanna get trick use a heat isolator material-- phenolic plastic, hardwood, etc
Uhm... Yeah I'm not at all familiar with at least 50% of this post lol, it's confusing. If I'm attempting to 'DIY' do something myself that I am uneducated with, I love thorough step-by-step instructions that include (too much) detail. Kinda like the How-To Guide I made:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...roblem-288938/

It's like telling someone who has never made a PB&J sandwich every step starting with going to the store to buy bread, all the way to eating the sandwich. I'm not stupid, I just like the safety net/assurance that I'm doing something exactly right the first time.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Phenolic would be awesome! i will say that the ZZP adapter is tapered. its bigger on the LSJ TB side and then nacks down to teh Intake inlet for the 2.4. if it were just bolted down it would create so much turbulence you would probably lose power.

i bought my plate used from NHanson
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM

Phenolic would be awesome! i will say that the ZZP adapter is tapered. its bigger on the LSJ TB side and then nacks down to teh Intake inlet for the 2.4. if it were just bolted down it would create so much turbulence you would probably lose power.

I guess I have 2 questions then, in order of importance, because I just bought a throttle body for $40.

1. Can I just splice into the throttle body pigtail and swap the wires below, before the male plug? 1st color goes to the pin plug, '/' indicates where I cut the wiring, 2nd color goes back to the stock wiring. Again, this is to avoid buying ZZP's, especially if their adapter just switches pins like I will do. I will secure and insulate my wiring.

tan/gray
brown/yellow
yellow/brown
blue/tan stripe
tan stripe/blue
gray/tan

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l...b-2-4-a-83001/

2. Is there any other option than buying ZZP's adapter plate? Is it just changing the stock LE5 opening to the LSJ before the intake manifold?

"The intake manifold on the 2.4L has a 66.5mm opening but the stock throttle body is only 64.6mm. This makes the throttle body a restriction to airflow. By using our adaptor plate, you can bolt an LSJ TB onto your intake. The LSJ TB is 67.4mm and our adaptor plate tapers this to match the intake manifold. The 10% larger TB setup will increase HP from 2-7 HP depending on how highly modified your car is." - From ZZPerformance

So the intake manifold's diameter is 66.5mm. Stock TB is 64.6mm in diameter. The LSJ TB is 67.4mm in diameter.. So I need a plate that goes from 66.5mm in diameter on one side to 67.4mm on the other side? Could I take my stock plate and use a drimmel or sand paper to do this? What about boring it out using 60 Grit?

Last edited by 06Cobalt2.4; 11-05-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM

yes you could splice the wires. im sure others have. i believe Beck was one of them. either way is fine, Electrical work and Me dont get along, so i stay away from things if i can reasonably go another route.

there is no stock plate that your TB mounts too, it just bolts to some threaded inserts in the plastic manifold. the way the o ring style gasket is set up im sure you could hog out the opening a little to allow for better air flow (its only 1mm). the issue will be either making a plate to bolt yours to, or red drilling the LSJ TB to bolt up to your intake mani, as you cannot change where the threaded inserts are on the Manifold itself
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM

That makes sense. I just got back from O'Reilley's Auto Parts, where I took my stock one completely out to inspect the manifold. As soon as my LSJ TB comes in the mail, I have one of my friends that said he would help me make it work without spending $120 on the ZZP kit. Will post pics if I discover something.. Otherwise, electrical work is fairly simple if you can match colors, crimp wires into connectors, and use electrical tape. I just don't feel that paying $34.99 for a 'plug and play' harness would make me feel accomplished enough.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM

shows you how much I know about LE5's-- I didn't know the manifold was plastic! At that point, phenolic wouldn't be needed, the manifold itself isolates plenty. Yeah, you'd definitely want the taper in there
Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM

i like the idea of the phenolic as it wouldnt be affected by the elements, you surely have road salt in Colorado! the NA cars came with plastic intakes.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM

they dont use salt here. they use a SHITLOAD of gravel, and some chemical that makes the roads REALLY slick if it freezes before it dries! (happened last year)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes you could splice the wires. im sure others have. i believe Beck was one of them. either way is fine, Electrical work and Me dont get along, so i stay away from things if i can reasonably go another route.

there is no stock plate that your TB mounts too, it just bolts to some threaded inserts in the plastic manifold. the way the o ring style gasket is set up im sure you could hog out the opening a little to allow for better air flow (its only 1mm). the issue will be either making a plate to bolt yours to, or red drilling the LSJ TB to bolt up to your intake mani, as you cannot change where the threaded inserts are on the Manifold itself
I wire nutted my wires for the longest time.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 AM

so did you end up doing the swap im about to and was curious how the throttle response was
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dezertdime06ss
so did you end up doing the swap im about to and was curious how the throttle response was
I didn't really notice anything different.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dezertdime06ss
Yeah, I did the swap and the throttle response is a little better. I noticed a bit more pull right off the line, then around 80 mph it pulls harder all the way through than it did without the LSJ TB. I'd reccommend it, but check eBay first, I used one with 60k on it, and got it for $40, but had to buy the ZZP adapter plate.