2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Making a list...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also gutted my AC compressor, complete AC weighs 25 lbs but minus Condenser, plumbing and with a gutted compressor this is what It weighs:

Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha been there too. Snapped off the clutch bolt on the compressor when trying to remove the 5 rib for the 6 rib pulley for the ac. Got pissed off and took the whole system out.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM

Finally! Figured out my exhaust leak. ******* flange is warped on my **** cobalt addiction header(identical to bad mab cept in quality obviously). Already had a crack welded a few weeks back. They must have been from day one can't imagine it was from heat being how thick they are. Shows signs of leaking at cyl 1 mostly and 4 a bit. Dropping it off at a machine shop today to have them plane the surface.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 AM

****. Machine shop tried to surface the flange the best they could but basically said hope this helps as the flange just needed too much material removed to make it perfect and being that it was stainless it would take forever to plane it down...$60 later still leaked...and still annoyed...

Just ordered a real bad mab header.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
****. Machine shop tried to surface the flange the best they could but basically said hope this helps as the flange just needed too much material removed to make it perfect and being that it was stainless it would take forever to plane it down...$60 later still leaked...and still annoyed...

Just ordered a real bad mab header.
I have a brand new one for sale
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM

aww ****, shoulda checked the for sale section freek.

Raining here and im lazy, havent pulled pistons never mind engine. Rewired my harness, added a network plug to connect my MAF IAT PID to my 3bar MAP so that it ran along the main harness and was disconnectable where it connects to the injector harness. My wiring jobs were spotty before, inexcusable considering I work with aircraft grade wiring projects lol but didn't have the tools. We condemned a few tools at work as they would not calibrate properly and I took the opportunity to confiscate them and now have the opportunity to wire myself up nice and sexy. I blanked all my AC wiring except the PID for my WB, chased it back closer to PCM area and will probably work on the wb and boost gauges tonight. maybe.

Also going to common ground the whole show, have access to all the wiring and fittings so why not. When my ZZP block shows I'll be ready for it!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Eh. I wanted the hardware and gaskets too...last thing I want to do right now is spend more time/$ on performance parts...and bad mab already got it out! sweet!...Would really like getting in to the aesthetics, like intake, interior work, fascias and possibly a hood, but everytime I am about to I have some stupid mechanical issue.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM

High heat wrinkle paint, turned out nice.

And Timmah emailed, my hingin' is ready. $380 freight shipping
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM

That looks good, where'd you get that paint from? My VC is currently getting powered coated candy raspberry
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Canadian Tire, $13.99 a can. Awesome stuff, I'm not done yet with it.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM

ETA on new block?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Twas freighted Monday or Tuesday according to Tim.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Ready to pick this out, gonna rent a lift next week. Plenty of room to come out, a naked shortblock helps. TC separated easy from the flexplate, all it took was the pressure from my thumb.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 AM

So I hope this goes well for you this time man...

As for me...

I am done with this build and giving up. It was fun.

Burning oil like crazy suddenly. ~ 1.5q/500miles. Did a compression and leak down test and numbers are great. Stopped by a shop and they said in all likelihood its the oil control rings since those numbers are good. Cyl 1 mostly, little bit from cyl 4. Easy to tell when I take my header off...cyl 1,4 leave black soot in the primaries, cyl 2,3 are white from e85. Still runs great, pulls awesome, but it needs to be corrected and I want a fast car I can just hop into and rip. Going to get a Solstice GXP, a few bolt ons, tune and go.

I am going back to stock and trading it in. Picking up a used long block next week. Pulling my block and selling a few of the parts out of it. Also selling everything else I can.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM

fawk, driveway builds are hit and miss I guess. Sometimes so much work for so much frustration. If its any consolation, you managed better than I...my record of $$$ spent for actual performance #s is pretty abysmal.

Should have done head, stage 2 turbo and suspension for $6k and called it done. anyone who did would wipe their a$$ with my car.

Just be careful, some of those LNFs are nothing but trouble too!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM

No doubt. I bet I'll have problems just the same.

After tearing into the hhr again I was thinking I may just keep all my SC/engine parts for now and get an LE5 Solstice. With the cams/ported head that will make a fun N/A build for starters and I bet I wouldn't even have to tune the damn thing lol. We'll see. Just want to drive a fun car and not work on it everyday. Save that **** for winter. I've got a bit of time to think it over though...I am being picky about the package the car has. Its either going to be a great deal on a higher mileage LNF or an LE5 with the club package so I get the nicer wheels/suspension/LSD.

Pulling the head off this morning, taking out the pistons/rods, inspecting everything and just stripping the block down like you so its easy to get out. Hopefully I will be ready to put in the junkyard block on Wed.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 PM

At least you got **** to sell, if you want. The only item I'd feel comfortable selling out of this old block is the NBS. My ROI on all that $$$ sucks a$$.

Anyways, $525 in taxes and brokerage fees. yay. And no its not here, should be released from customs tomorrow.

Funny, ended up on the first page of this now epic thread and it looks like I'll end up with exactly the build I first planned on...but with a far more expensive block and a used TVS. I'll never afford a turbo after this, almost 5k for ZZP block alone. yay.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Yeah, posted on another thread of mine but rod bearings 2 and 3 were not happy looking. I know 2 for sure and now I'm guessing those are the caps that got mixed up. So the rods might be fubared, crank pin 2 is fucked, rod 2 was worse than 3.

I do plan on having pistons measured, on the faint hope they goofed and I get my $600 back. May as well get rods tested as well. Sell em cheap if they are ok. Because I didn't install these the second time around I don't know what they did. bleh
Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 AM

You got a TVS eh? Nice. You are going to make some very good power with that.

I am going to drop my block off at a shop and have them check it out to see what the problem was with the oil burning when the hhr is up and running again. Wondering if the rings didn't bed in properly or if I removed too much material with the honing I did. If they deem everything ok for a rebuild, I will have them balance the rotating assembly and put it back together so I can just bolt a head on during winter.

Right now I plan on getting an LE5 Solstice. Running my ported head/zzp cams on that block. That will be an easy, reliable swap for the summer.

The junkyard engine going in the hhr has 47k miles which is pretty good considering my car has 58k miles on it. Might be going in today...leaving the zzp clutch and powell mounts in the car because I don't have the originals. $1100 down the ******* right there.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 AM

I'm sure someone would be willing to send you their stock mounts plus cash for your Powell
Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 PM

yea no doubt, clutch too! Get an scrapyard f23 and you've got yours to sell.

No I don't have a tvs, just on my wishlist when this all gets put back together.

Gonna need meth too, that will be my first purchase if, god willing this all goes smoothly. Probably snows MAF based setup from zzp.

Had Moog CABs pressed in, also trying out those camber bolts for some negative camber.

Ran a 4 gauge wire from negative battery terminal to front chassis ground under the driver side headlight to start my common grounding, will connect the rest when the block is in.

Oh, and zzp gave the customs broker the wrong phone # so that was a 5 day delay. Block would have been here today otherwise.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM

Yeah only thing is though after I buy another oem clutch and wait around for a few weeks its just not worth it. Dont want to wait around for the broke ass "I'll have money next paycheck" buyers. I have some parts off the car that aren't going back on that I can sit on, but otherwise its out the door.

Noor, if you want stage 2 its yours straight trade for stock mounts. Just pay shipping both ways and cover a 6 pack of Spotted Cow. Sell the stg 1 if interested idc. pm if interested. Just not waiting around, my storage is getting full of bs and I want rwd.

Someone is just going to get lucky with an LSD, powell mounts and a zzp clutch otherwise and not know it. lol thats the best part.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Are you selling the AIS kit?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM

No lol. That may be the only thing I keep.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 AM

HHR I appreciate it but I can't really have my car down and don't feel the need for te stage 2 mounts at my power level. Thanks for the offer though man! When you think your gonna pick up the solstice?

edit: But if you ever get second thoughts about putting those cams in your next car and want to get rid of them, let me know

Last edited by noorj; 07-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Making a list...