2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Making a list...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I am visiting family in N Wisconsin and we are usually snowmobiling, but there is only an inch on the ground and its going to melt tomorrow.

What break in procedure are you planning on doing for your engine when your done? My friend had his Subaru rebuilt and he is running break in oil for 500m then draining and doing break in oil again for another 3k miles. I dont get it. I was just planning on running break in for a couple hundred miles, doing some pulls then putting in my normal synthetic.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a good question, I wasn't keen on the cold winter weather and my hard aftermarket rings running conventional oils for my intended break in, but I knew I'd have to do it and hope for the best. Now I'll have a few months and no -20 nights for those brutal cold starts when it happens so I feel better about running that brad penn break in oil that zzp sells. 1000kms or so, maybe a bit more if I'm lazy then back to mobil1. I've never heard of doing it twice, but from what i've read the oem rings are much softer and blow by can be a problem so maybe I'll end up using high quality conventionals for longer than I'd expect.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm hoping you make big power
Old 12-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Gimmie an honest 300ish to the wheels and I'll be content knowing I'm forged rotationally, have high quality front end parts (mostly moog and timko), a zzp tranny, can spin to 8k if I please (7.5k for longevity) and should have a DD that is safe and dependable for years to come.

In 3 months I'm done spending $$$ on this cardboard car and moving on to some other obsession lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Nice to see you put that blower to use. I've got that exhaust all put together on my car. I thought it was going to be insanely loud. It isn't that bad. I need to get a new TB and was looking into the LS4 but I can't make up my mind. I think I am going to start a thread asking people that have and/or are using it to chime in with opinions.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Not gonna lie guys.. but after reading the last few pages this really makes me even more excited for starting my turbo/trans build in Feb/March
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM

I just can't wait to tune my car. Lol, not going with the LS4 throttle body. I wish you the best of luck to make good reliable power.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Good call, it isn't necessary. Nice to see other LE5s get some loving, truly great engines that can take a beating. Except those stupid sleeves...gah

Twas on the phone today with Jeff over at Engineered Performance, inquiring about the LSD for the 4t45E. In stock, $599 with a $100 refundable core charge. He no longer makes the die stamped model, so they are all CNC machined pieces. He says he has clients with 100k miles on them, still good as new. He really likes our tranny, called it the mini-me of the 4t80 out of the northstar and says it is quite stout. In fact, he even tried to sell me on an EP 4t45E...$2900 all in, core charge included and of course with his LSD. Kinda threw a curve ball at me, I had my heart set with ZZP. We touched a bit on what he does, I sent him links to ZZP and IPTs tranny work and will be in touch with him further this week.

And life, its good
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Oh right, you went TVS...hmm, If I had an LSJ with TVS I'd probably give it a shot. $130 from ZZP, and they resale for top dollar and sell pretty quick if you don't like it or can't get it to cooperate. hhrfreek has one lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM

And Ive still got your M-62 in the same box you shipped it in. I'm thinking a throat opening port job and possibly a full bearing rebuild if I find a local machine shop who has done all that before. Then, I'll order ZZPs 3.0" LSJ 6 rib pulley and the stage 2 SC kits 5 rib belt and run a brand new to me blower. The 3.1 blet and pulley are uber tight after the phenolic gasket addition but the 3.0 would likely fit quite nicely.

Right now it is just nice to have a spare blower, can never have enough spare parts.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM

JE 9.0 pistons and ZZP 2.4l Rods:

I just grabbed a cherry picker from a friend. I might pull it tomorrow and get it underway...I don't think I can wait any longer...I think about this all day and night...this **** has to stop

Still have to pick up rod bearings, slave cylinder a timing chain tensioner and a few tools
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you both are replacing the majority of your stock rotating assembly with forged components. What is the weak point? Rods, pistons?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Sleeves lol. I've heard of a few cast oem pistons cracking even when na...the build book says replace @ 250whp, zzp says the powder forged oem rods have bent @350whp, any 2008+ may also have cast rods which hold even less.. Its really just insurance, a process of eliminating future problems as the zzp stage 2 turbo pushes 300 through the stock internals just fine.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Awesome, take pics please!

And let me know what size that etorx on the inside of the head is, I have a small set but want to be sure.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
I just grabbed a cherry picker from a friend. I might pull it tomorrow and get it underway...I don't think I can wait any longer...I think about this all day and night...this **** has to stop

Still have to pick up rod bearings, slave cylinder a timing chain tensioner and a few tools
Hopefully everything goes smoothly for ya
Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM

OttawaMark

Awesome, take pics please!

And let me know what size that etorx on the inside of the head is, I have a small set but want to be sure.
I will take a bunch of pics and upload a few to the thread and just keep'm coming to my gallery. I hope to get setup and pull the engine tomorrow since I have the day off. If I don't get to it...it'll be after new years because I still have a few xmas parties to attend then I am heading to Green Bay for the Packer/Lion game.

I will let you know on the torx size...hopefully my set has it covered too

I acquired a cherry picker, an engine stand, ring compressor and ring file from a few friends to make life easy. Also ordered my throwout bearing and chain tensioner. They should be here in the morning.

I will post some pics of the clutch when it arrives...the ZZP clutch got a little dinged up during shipping/handling and I am sending it back for exchange, but they are out of stock atm so it'll be a little bit before that arrives.

The first order of business will be porting the head...

Mindrot

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for ya
Me too!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Sleeves lol. I've heard of a few cast oem pistons cracking even when na...the build book says replace @ 250whp, zzp says the powder forged oem rods have bent @350whp, any 2008+ may also have cast rods which hold even less.. Its really just insurance, a process of eliminating future problems as the zzp stage 2 turbo pushes 300 through the stock internals just fine.
Do you know of anyone who broke something in the LE5 with a proper setup and good tuning?

I don't follow the LE5 as closely as the LSJ but "the majority" of the times I have read about failures they did not seem to point directly at the strength of the engine components. Its usually lack of fuel, improper cooling mods, stuck waste gates or poor tuning that eventually does the engine in.

I know Hahn has pushed LE5s to 400whp in their project cars without failure. Does anyone else know of any other examples of that kind of performance without failure?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Not sure, mcgee blew a sleeve at 12psi but he is pushing 350+, I have heard of of pistons chipping but who knows what happened, 5th to 2nd shifts or something tarded like that. I've had zero engine problems and don't expect to, but not going to push anywhere close to 400.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Glad to hear that you like the blower. I purchased an OEM TB. Unfortunately mine was bent by the previous owner.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:52 AM

Engine is out!! Took me about 6 hours working by myself. I had to smile when it was done...man I did not think it was going to take that long. I don't have my pics on me because I forgot my laptop at work, but I will get some up in the next few days. Engine is sitting on 2x4s right now. Can't wait to tear into that sucker. Going to take two days off of the car though because I am heading to Green Bay to watch Aaron Rogers throw a few more TD's
Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 PM

If I can cherry pick the engine out in 6 hours by myself I'll be thrilled. Much tighter confines, I was leaning towards jacking the car up and pulling the subframe out from underneath but that is a lot of jacking and bracing. I can do it, have plenty of experience as a Field Engineer designing shoring, lagging and lifting systems but I may just buy a picker and lift the engine out of the car instead.

Enjoy the game!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
I am heading to Green Bay to watch Aaron Rogers throw a few more TD's
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Uploaded a few pics. There are a few more in my gallery. Engine out, head off. Tomorrow I hope to have the head port underway and valves lapped.

E12 torx There are 4 of them. Two of them I couldn't get out unless I ground my torx bit down a bit as there was not enough room for the side of the bit to clear the side of the head with my 3/8" drive...I will take a close pic tomorrow to show you.

Is that normal for the exhaust valves to be that color? It looks like I should get some valve seals as well as there is a little crud building up on a couple of them. The exhaust ports are dang small...obvious why big gains are made with porting. I am going to match them up with my header.

Also I think this may be contributing to my lack of timing and intermittent kr. All pistons have a shitload of build up on them. I should have tried seafoaming this bitch to see if it would have helped instead of ordering lower compression pistons.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Top of my pistons look much the same, funny enough they were spotless up until all my KR nastiness this past summer. And I seafoamed this fall, made lots of fun smoke but pistons got no cleaner.

Is this basically how you intend to lap your valves? V6Z24 | How-To - Valve Lapping

Those stems look bleached white? is that right?

Exhaust ports are sooo pinty, the LNF head I've got here is really really tiny.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM

Yeah that crud is on the pistons good. Like I threw a burger on it and burnt the **** out of it. It doesn't come off unless I scrape it off with something sharp.

I guess that is normal for exhaust valves after I did a quick google search...though this is the first set I have seen up close

I am doing this for lapping:

Valve Lapping - YouTube

The guy doesn't show the compound, but I am going to pick up some 280grit with the tool.

Last edited by hhrfreek; 01-02-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Making a list...