2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

Regular oil vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i would get a few car basics books to help you learn. once you start to understand the basics, and hwo things work, it gets alot easier.
Great idea. It helps to do a little "research" before you start wrenching on a car, even if it's something as simple as an oil change.

You can start by reading the how-to very carefully. You really cannot screw up an oil change. Drain old oil, fill with new oil, replace filter. As long as you don't overtighten the drain pan bolt or do something stupid like pour the oil in your gas tank you will be fine.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought a couple books a while back, i didn't know how to do anythign on a car. at all. and they really help alot. but you have to start basic. i would say to get a haynes manual, tells you how to do pretty much everything, but for a complete beginner it woudl probably be very hard to follow. i'll look at what books i have in the morning and let you know.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i bought a couple books a while back, i didn't know how to do anythign on a car. at all. and they really help alot. but you have to start basic. i would say to get a haynes manual, tells you how to do pretty much everything, but for a complete beginner it woudl probably be very hard to follow. i'll look at what books i have in the morning and let you know.

I have the haynes manual. But I'm the type that needs to be visually showed in live action with things. ( NO JOKES!! no pun intended. rofl) But I'm a quick learner, and very good hands on. I'm going to try and see if maybe I can go to Lincoln tech and be a mechanic. It would be a good job for me cause I used to love to take apart and put back together things as a kid. (they do get good benefits right?? that's kinda important for me)
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Some people are just that way, they can read about it and be told about it but until they see how it's done it doesn't make any sense to them. Just the way it is for some, ask your dad he probably knows how to change the oil in a car, he could show you. It would be a learning experiance for you, and some good "bonding time"
Old 06-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
Some people are just that way, they can read about it and be told about it but until they see how it's done it doesn't make any sense to them. Just the way it is for some, ask your dad he probably knows how to change the oil in a car, he could show you. It would be a learning experiance for you, and some good "bonding time"
Yeah he does. He discouraged me by saying just go to the dealer it's a pain in the ass. Then again that makes sense cause back in the 70's... ya really didn't have a choice I mean it sounds like a piece of cake especially with our cars having the filter on the engine. I just need jack stands and an oil pan.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally i would try to learn how to do it man. if ur looking to put in synthetic...its cheaper to do it yourself..and changing oil is terribly too easy.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM

1st - Drain used oil into oil pan (and save it for camp fires or something, you can also take it to walmart or a local mechanic shop to dispose of it, for free)

2nd - Pull off the old oil filter and dispose of it.

3rd - replace plug on car engine oil pan.

4th - poor oil into new oil filter to prime it, make sure to rub a litle oil on the rubber gasket on the filter to help it seal better.

5th - put the oil filter back onto your car.

6th - poor remaining oil of that container into the engine and add 4 more courts.

Or at least thats how I was taught. If anyone has a different way that they do it please share. Make sure your engine is cooled down a little bit before you try changing the oil. It is very hot if you don't. I haven't heard of anyone trying to change their oil right away, but I'm sure people have tried. And you want to make sure all the oil in your engine has settled to the pan as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by nutsandboldts05
1st - Drain used oil into oil pan (and save it for camp fires or something, you can also take it to walmart or a local mechanic shop to dispose of it, for free)

2nd - Pull off the old oil filter and dispose of it.

3rd - replace plug on car engine oil pan.

4th - poor oil into new oil filter to prime it, make sure to rub a litle oil on the rubber gasket on the filter to help it seal better.

5th - put the oil filter back onto your car.

6th - poor remaining oil of that container into the engine and add 4 more courts.

Or at least thats how I was taught. If anyone has a different way that they do it please share. Make sure your engine is cooled down a little bit before you try changing the oil. It is very hot if you don't. I haven't heard of anyone trying to change their oil right away, but I'm sure people have tried. And you want to make sure all the oil in your engine has settled to the pan as well.

yeah.. **** you mother earth!!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by XtortedCobalt

Pretty bad that I do it, considering I don't really want to contribue to ruining the ozone, but it burns slow enough and helps the fire.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

rofl! I read some where that have your engine warmed up b4 you change the oil?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
rofl! I read some where that have your engine warmed up b4 you change the oil?
It's gets thinner when warm, just make sure it's not hot! ooweeeyys
Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Yeah, just dont burn yourself.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM

You will get more of the old oil out when it is "hot".
Old 06-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

hmm I paid 30 at the dealer but they didn't use mobil 1. But that's ok, I'll just do it my self next oil change
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Wal-mart= non existant where I live Do you think the dealer will have what I'm looking for? Or should I buy it from like pep boys, and tell them to put it in? (at least have 1 oil change done by them) I've never used synthetic or had a dealer change oil so thats why all the ?'s. First NEW car (but not first car)
come over the goethals one in secaucus.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM

hmm I paid 30 at the dealer but they didn't use mobil 1. But that's ok, I'll just do it my self next oil change

Tsk, tsk, all this advice and you still went to the dealer. Promise us you will do it yourself next time.

You can do it without jackstands, if you're somewhat limber and have long arms. I reach in just in front of the passenger's side tire and get the drain plug out that way. It needs a shallow drain pan to fit under there! And that pan gets very full, so be careful when you slide it out later.

Be sure to lube the little O-ring on the bottom of the filter nipple; if its not lubed it can bind in the casting and cause the filter to crush. There is a TSB out about this; its been posted here on the forum. If you've ever placed a filter in the casting without the cap on it, you'll see the nipple fits pretty tight in the bottom of the casting, and that is why its important to lube it (use a drop of oil for this).
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
WHAT?!

Apparently he can't spell necessary
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM

It's because the 2.4 doesn't require it. If you didn't request it.....they won't put it in. I save about $90 in oil changes by doing all three vehicles of ours ourself. It pays, especially because I don't trust these nit wits making $7.50 an hour to even change the oil.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt443
It's because the 2.4 doesn't require it. If you didn't request it.....they won't put it in. I save about $90 in oil changes by doing all three vehicles of ours ourself. It pays, especially because I don't trust these nit wits making $7.50 an hour to even change the oil.
Yep. Contrary to popular belief, the dealer (MOST dealers) does NOT give a **** about you or your car. They are a business, they see dozens if not hundreds of cars that come in and out of their shop on a daily basis. They are there to make money and nothing else.

After 4 pages of ruckace you still go to the dealer to get an oil change... lol

Last edited by chris88z24; 06-04-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM

i just changed mine this morning
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM

I think the cobalt is one of the easiest cars I have ever done an oil change on.....and I've done A LOT of oil changes...lol
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt443
I think the cobalt is one of the easiest cars I have ever done an oil change on.....and I've done A LOT of oil changes...lol
It really is. And the paper oil filter makes NO mess when you take it out. The S/C is kind of a pain since the filter is right under the blower but it's not THAT hard to wiggle your hand in there. I only weigh 140lbs so it's no problem for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM

i changed mine yesterday and used the castrol full syn. bought it all at walmart for a grand total of 27 dollars. (thats 6 quarts worth of oil and the filter). but the shitty part is, when i was pulling the extension out of the 1 1/4 socket, the adapter fell into the engine somewhere and now i cant find it. so now ive been driving around with that somewhere in my engine bay.
if you didnt have to have the hands of a freakin 2 year old to get to the oil filter it wouldnt have happend!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM

I have been using Amsoil for a long time and I think its the best you can get. Royal Purple is great and Mobil 1 is fine too.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by LaserblueSS
i changed mine yesterday and used the castrol full syn. bought it all at walmart for a grand total of 27 dollars. (thats 6 quarts worth of oil and the filter). but the shitty part is, when i was pulling the extension out of the 1 1/4 socket, the adapter fell into the engine somewhere and now i cant find it. so now ive been driving around with that somewhere in my engine bay.
if you didnt have to have the hands of a freakin 2 year old to get to the oil filter it wouldnt have happend!!!!
Sucks to be you. The oil filter on the 2.4 is very easy to get to.

Quick Reply: Regular oil vs Synthetic Oil