ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

HARROP TVS, What You Need To Know & FAQ

Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
  #51  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
something else to keep in mind. the tvs does not hit like the m62 on terms of instant torque. think of it like a big turbo. my guess is due to the rotating mass, and air volume moving in there. if you spin it high enough {above 7k} you can see some good power numbers. the power doesn't drop off like the m62 does either.
Area47 is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
  #52  
Banned
 
Join Date: 06-03-08
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,383
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimHarr18 View Post
out of curiosity, what size pulley are you running?
sorry for not replying...was in the field with the army for the week. As someone already said its the stock 80mm pulley that comes with the tvs. I wanna build the engine before i drop pulley size...thinking about 2.7 or 2.8
Snakes709 is offline  
Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 09-14-08
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 3,425
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
something else to keep in mind. the tvs does not hit like the m62 on terms of instant torque. think of it like a big turbo. my guess is due to the rotating mass, and air volume moving in there. if you spin it high enough {above 7k} you can see some good power numbers. the power doesn't drop off like the m62 does either.
thats a good comparison.. the m62 would kinda "die" in a way after about a 100mph from my experiences..the TVS doesnt want to pull up it seems.. nice wide powerband..and area..what happened to the head studs? lol just read ur sig

with a 7200 rev limit its making power all the way to redline.. feels strong
06_SIC_SS is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 AM
  #54  
Banned
 
StreetDreamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-23-06
Location: Mo-town, WV
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_SIC_SS View Post
thats a good comparison.. the m62 would kinda "die" in a way after about a 100mph from my experiences..the TVS doesnt want to pull up it seems.. nice wide powerband..and area..what happened to the head studs? lol just read ur sig

with a 7200 rev limit its making power all the way to redline.. feels strong
The stock cams die around 7200rpm. I stretched the Harrop out to 7500rpm on the dyno and even with a ported head the power just plateaued after the 7200rpm peak. Get ya some bigger bump sticks and watch the power climb with an 8000rpm redline.
StreetDreamz is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
  #55  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetDreamz View Post
The stock cams die around 7200rpm. I stretched the Harrop out to 7500rpm on the dyno and even with a ported head the power just plateaued after the 7200rpm peak. Get ya some bigger bump sticks and watch the power climb with an 8000rpm redline.
with the stock head it flattens out after 7200 then tanks about 7600. when i had the gmr cams in there, it just kept making power to 8k
Area47 is offline  
Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
  #56  
Banned
 
StreetDreamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-23-06
Location: Mo-town, WV
Posts: 1,287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
with the stock head it flattens out after 7200 then tanks about 7600. when i had the gmr cams in there, it just kept making power to 8k
Holy **** did we just agree on something?!?!

And it would be nice to run those cams...if they still existed lol.
StreetDreamz is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 AM
  #57  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
it happens sometimes. not a lot though!

there are some gmr cams floating around still. however. with stock lash adjusters. i would not run them. solid lash adjusters are required
Area47 is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 AM
  #58  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 09-14-08
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 3,425
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was lookin at the comp cam blower cams.. so hopefully these may be a nice solution this is a little on down the road though
06_SIC_SS is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 AM
  #59  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 11-19-07
Location: -
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
it happens sometimes. not a lot though!

there are some gmr cams floating around still. however. with stock lash adjusters. i would not run them. solid lash adjusters are required
To the GMR lash adjuster issue...

Is this caused by a smaller base circle that extend the adjusters out of their range?
or...
Do the GMR cams have an aggressive grind that the hydro adjusters simply cannot cope with??
Speedytec is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
  #60  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedytec View Post
To the GMR lash adjuster issue...

Is this caused by a smaller base circle that extend the adjusters out of their range?
or...
Do the GMR cams have an aggressive grind that the hydro adjusters simply cannot cope with??
the smaller base circle. the 272's i ran had a larger base circle and put the adjusters right at max extension so to speak. the gmr's are smaller than those and killed them in 8k miles.
Area47 is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 AM
  #61  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 11-19-07
Location: -
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, clear.

Now I've heard a trick from a UK guy that you can extend the hydro adjuster range a bit by removing the retaining clip inside. You only have to take care that they will not fall apart during assembly...
Something I will try during winter for my GMR's, otherwise a solid adjuster option.
Speedytec is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
2K5SS/SC?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-08-05
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 6,200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not too familiar with cam specs, but if we took the specs of the GMR cams and had them made from new blanks would this adjuster issue still exist? Basically could we use the lift/duration specs and whatnot still and get a bigger base circle this way? I'd be willing to spend the extra dough for some some Comp cams made from blanks.
2K5SS/SC? is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 AM
  #63  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 11-19-07
Location: -
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC? View Post
Not too familiar with cam specs, but if we took the specs of the GMR cams and had them made from new blanks would this adjuster issue still exist? Basically could we use the lift/duration specs and whatnot still and get a bigger base circle this way? I'd be willing to spend the extra dough for some some Comp cams made from blanks.
Something I also thought off.
(And I have a pair of GMR cams waiting in a box...)
Speedytec is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
  #64  
Rent me! per hour
 
Area47's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-07
Location: Still fixing others mistakes.
Posts: 24,186
Likes: 0
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
the trade off of torque being killed by the gmr cams was not worth it to me in the end. i likes torque {irony i know}
Area47 is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
2K5SS/SC?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-08-05
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 6,200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
the trade off of torque being killed by the gmr cams was not worth it to me in the end. i likes torque {irony i know}
Ugh... What sort of torque loss are we talking here? I think I may have to make a decision real soon then that I really do not want to!
2K5SS/SC? is offline  
Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hows every1s car running with just 60s, stu mod, h/e, injen cai, 3"dp, and stock catback? im only looking for like 280whp which seems to be like a given on the tvs.
drew1991sf is offline  
Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
WickedSS2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-05
Location: West Carrollton (Dayton), OH
Posts: 8,725
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first dyno w/ a patched together tune was 290hp/249tq. Mods were airbox mod, 60's, garret h/e, stock header, stock d/p, 2.5" magnaflow catback.

So you should easily hit your 280whp goal drew
WickedSS2005 is offline  
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya thats plenty for me i just want to take down a good amount of cars
drew1991sf is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 12:50 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do u guys think i should go ported head or tvs? i cant decide. i can get a ported head for 1k fully assembled or 1850 for a tvs.
drew1991sf is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM
  #70  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-18-07
Location: Wburg, PA
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drew1991sf View Post
do u guys think i should go ported head or tvs? i cant decide. i can get a ported head for 1k fully assembled or 1850 for a tvs.
I would like to hear the answer to this also...
DangotBoost is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup cuz i have enough for either one but i wouldnt have alot of money left over after the tvs so if i do, do it i wanna make sure its gonna be 100% better than a ported head.
cuz otherwise i can do ported head and rims :]
drew1991sf is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
  #72  
Banned
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,682
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were smart drew you would go to euthanasia and get a ported head for much cheaper.
Zach06CobaltSC is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 7,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will it come assembled and the parts with it be low mileage? thats the only reason i would go with sean from ottp
drew1991sf is offline  
Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
WickedSS2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-05
Location: West Carrollton (Dayton), OH
Posts: 8,725
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please take the ported talk to a different thread. This is TVS specific. If it's ported head vs tvs, that is a different thread...

Thank you
WickedSS2005 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 AM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-03-08
Location: Delaware
Posts: 790
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a quick question.

Right now my mods are:
TVS 3.1 pulley
60lb injectors
Stock TB
Intake
OTTP h/e
Hatrickstu mod
Hahn header
ZZP 3" dp
Hahn 3" cat back

I want to now swap out the 3.1 pulley for the 2.75, switch to 79lb injectors, and add meth injection. What kind of numbers can I expect from a change like this. And what meth kits or what variation of meth kits would you recommend?

Also is it possible/worth it to tap the intake manifold instead of the cai for meth to avoid spraying meth through the blower? Would this be better or worse?

Here are my numbers right now:



Also would it be possible to just slap on a 2.9 pulley to my current set up? Would the 60s be able to handle that and could I do it without a retune?
ajm5036 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HARROP TVS, What You Need To Know & FAQ


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.