ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

LE5 swap into a LSJ car possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Name:  20120921_062303_zpsab0a76a7.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  417.4 KB

A band saw..a big band saw. Lol
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahh okay. thought it was some sort of saw.

but lasers are starting to become more popular now thought you mighta had one
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 05RallyYellowSS
The LE5 block isn't gonna last and the LSJ head has more potential, so aside from saying that you have VVT, what's the point? The record holding engine is still an LSJ without VVT.

May as well stick an LSJ in an LE5 and delete the VVT altogether if the LE5 PCM is so much better. I never had any problems tuning my LSJ. How much more do you really need?
The LE5 is inferior to the LSJ. Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose? Dudes have spent shitloads building up and modding their LSJ SC cars only to fall well short of the 400whp mark while dudes in Honda civics strap on blowers and pass that on pump gas without even touching their internals. For any serious power you're gonna need a turbo and a block that can take it. The LE5 block is weak.

My buddy is doing the opposite. He's using a LSJ block in a LE5 Sky but keeping the LE5 head and going turbo. I'm not sure why he's doing the whole LSJ/LE5 hybrid thing since the LSJ head has more potential. I'd be willing to bet that when everything is said and done, he put's the LSJ head back on and makes more power.

Check out this list...

Ward's 10 Best Engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The LSJ is on there..
The LE5 is a GEN 2 block. While the LSJ is a GEN 1 block. The early LE5's hold up pretty good to some decent power numbers. ZZP has had their 2.4 turbo running 350whp or so for a while and its holding. I wouldnt call the LE5 block inferior. The sleeves can be a weak point but that can also be said of the LSJ's and the later 08 LE5s some of them had weaker rods. But honestly it sounds like you havent actually dealt with the LE5 very much. Also I wouldnt say the LSJ head has more potential when the LE5/LAP head hasnt been modded much. So honestly its not real clear. But the LNF uses the same VVT setup as the LE5 and can even use the LE5 exhaust cam (intake cam I believe has the fuel pump lobe for the direct injection). And I believe the heads are very similar. But yes if a tuner doesnt do a good job with the vvt tables and such then yes it would be possible to swap the lsj head on and make more power. But that could just be from not optimizing the vvt tables. So honestly I think you jumped the gun on the LE5 comments a bit.

But as the op said I know the LE5 pcm's definitely have more tuning options. I think the 08s have even more but I could be wrong on that.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
The LE5 is a GEN 2 block. While the LSJ is a GEN 1 block. The early LE5's hold up pretty good to some decent power numbers. ZZP has had their 2.4 turbo running 350whp or so for a while and its holding. I wouldnt call the LE5 block inferior. The sleeves can be a weak point but that can also be said of the LSJ's and the later 08 LE5s some of them had weaker rods. But honestly it sounds like you havent actually dealt with the LE5 very much. Also I wouldnt say the LSJ head has more potential when the LE5/LAP head hasnt been modded much. So honestly its not real clear. But the LNF uses the same VVT setup as the LE5 and can even use the LE5 exhaust cam (intake cam I believe has the fuel pump lobe for the direct injection). And I believe the heads are very similar. But yes if a tuner doesnt do a good job with the vvt tables and such then yes it would be possible to swap the lsj head on and make more power. But that could just be from not optimizing the vvt tables. So honestly I think you jumped the gun on the LE5 comments a bit.

But as the op said I know the LE5 pcm's definitely have more tuning options. I think the 08s have even more but I could be wrong on that.

I have a 2009 Pontiac g6 with the LE 5 in it. I was able to get a little more power out of it by using some of the cobalt le5 tables.. not a huge amount but definitely noticed a difference. Made it a little More peppy
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM

You're entitled to you opinion but it doesn't change the fact that the GEN 2 block sucks. If running the LE5 head was worth a damn then Turbo Tim wouldn't have used one from an LSJ on his 2.4. The engine you are referring to is for sale on ZZP's website and only has a couple of hundred miles on it. I spoke with them about it a year ago.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tjolley
Im on **** octane this very moment.. I've been fighting a 3 month long massive misfire issue. Turned ouT my 60 pound injecTors finally gave up and didn'T wanT To sTay wide open all The Time anymore..lol

Not to meNtioN I just receNtly got iN a pretty bad motorcycle accideNt.
How do you get around California emissions? I use to live their 24/7. I have everything registered in NC now which is much easier. 96 and newer pass as long as there's no check engine light so if something's giving you trouble, then delete it..lol. My SRT has straight exhaust and they passed it here no problem. Those Libs in California would have probably set my car on fire had I tried it there..

As to your car it sounds like you need my TVS and 80lb injectors to remedy the situation

Sucks about your accident. How bad did you get hurt?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM

A band saw..a big band saw. Lol
And a Monster in the background. Go easy on those..lol.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM

How do you get around California emissions? I use to live their 24/7. I have everything registered in NC now which is much easier. 96 and newer pass as long as there's no check engine light so if something's giving you trouble, then delete it..lol. My SRT has straight exhaust and they passed it here no problem. Those Libs in California would have probably set my car on fire had I tried it there..

As to your car it sounds like you need my TVS and 80lb injectors to remedy the situation

Sucks about your accident. How bad did you get hurt?

Tvs will come in the future...

Haven't had to smog the car yet..
I have friends that passed with gutted cats
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM

And a Monster in the background. Go easy on those..lol.
I get them for next to nothing..lol
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM

You're entitled to you opinion but it doesn't change the fact that the GEN 2 block sucks. If running the LE5 head was worth a damn then Turbo Tim wouldn't have used one from an LSJ on his 2.4. The engine you are referring to is for sale on ZZP's website and only has a couple of hundred miles on it. I spoke with them about it a year ago.
If only it was that simple. The LE5/LAP/LNF are vvt engines. Wouldnt be any point in running a VVT head on a non VVT engine. You say the gen 2 block sucks yet the LNF uses a gen 2 block. So I wouldnt say its opinion. Also the turbo 2.4 they have was being used as a daily for a while. It has more than "a couple hundred miles on it" And Im not referring to Turbo Tim's engine. Im referring to the actually FACTORY LE5 they tested their turbo kit on. Turbo tims engine is an entirely different engine. Honestly it sounds like you dont have your facts straight and dont have any first hand experience with any of the later ecotec's. The LSJ is a good motor but its not the end all of ecotec performance. Read up some on the LE5/LAP/LNF motors.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM

If only it was that simple. The LE5/LAP/LNF are vvt engines. Wouldnt be any point in running a VVT head on a non VVT engine. You say the gen 2 block sucks yet the LNF uses a gen 2 block. So I wouldnt say its opinion. Also the turbo 2.4 they have was being used as a daily for a while. It has more than "a couple hundred miles on it" And Im not referring to Turbo Tim's engine. Im referring to the actually FACTORY LE5 they tested their turbo kit on. Turbo tims engine is an entirely different engine. Honestly it sounds like you dont have your facts straight and dont have any first hand experience with any of the later ecotec's. The LSJ is a good motor but its not the end all of ecotec performance. Read up some on the LE5/LAP/LNF motors.

The lnf block is stronger than the le5. Cuz there is a
Extra 1mm of meat between the sleeve and the water jacket. If u look in the first pic i posted u will see a bulge in the water jacket and u can see how thin the block gets right there on the le5. The lnf has more meat there cuz its a 86mm bore.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM

The lnf block is stronger than the le5. Cuz there is a
Extra 1mm of meat between the sleeve and the water jacket. If u look in the first pic i posted u will see a bulge in the water jacket and u can see how thin the block gets right there on the le5. The lnf has more meat there cuz its a 86mm bore.
To my knowledge there hasnt been an LE5 block failure. There has been some sleeve issues when people truly start pushing the power and tunes on the LE5's.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Im hoping so..
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM

To my knowledge there hasnt been an LE5 block failure. There has been some sleeve issues when people truly start pushing the power and tunes on the LE5's.
which happens on all the ecotec blocks when pushed. point being ?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Point being us LE5 owners are a little sensitive about it...especially those of us who now own top $ zzp blocks they no longer recommend.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by zrated89
which happens on all the ecotec blocks when pushed. point being ?
Point being if they all have the problems how is the LE5 inferior to the LSJ? It might have its downfalls but then again so does every ecotec in some way.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Point being us LE5 owners are a little sensitive about it...especially those of us who now own top $ zzp blocks they no longer recommend.
Point taken. Believe me i bought mine 1500$ and not long later it was less than a 1000 and they claimed to have failures.
I hurd of them pushing a le5 to 600 hp with no failures.
So if i can get 500 with out issues ill be happy.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM

I misread you post in regards to which 2.4 but it doesn't change the fact that the block is weak. The LNF block is weak too. Just because you don't know of these block failures doesn't mean they don't exist. The LE5 block is weaker than the LNF, and the LSJ is better than both. The LSJ head flows better and has more potential. If it didn't, then why does the LSJ hold the record? Which brings me back to responding to the OP as to why would somebody want to put an LE5 in an LSJ. Maybe 300-350whp is good for you?

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I'd feel the same way. I almost bought one a year ago.

Tvs will come in the future...

Haven't had to smog the car yet..
I have friends that passed with gutted cats
lol @ gutted cats. Maybe in Modesto. Never in San Diego.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Point being if they all have the problems how is the LE5 inferior to the LSJ? It might have its downfalls but then again so does every ecotec in some way.
How is the LE5 inferior to the LSJ? lol....

I do agree that every ecotec has it's downfall. Especially in the timing chain assembly.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM

How is the LE5 inferior to the LSJ? lol....

I do agree that every ecotec has it's downfall. Especially in the timing chain assembly.
Damn I shouldve looked at your join date couldve saved myself a lot of time
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Damn I shouldve looked at your join date couldve saved myself a lot of time
Yes, to somebody as ignorant as you, that would make a difference. What's even worse is that you've been here as long as you have and still don't know the GEN 2 block is weak.

It's ok if you're an LE5 fanboy but you really shouldn't get all butt hurt about it. You obviously don't care about making real power.

Since you love ZZP so much, do some reading!

ZZPerformance - ZZP Girdled Block Gen3 #

"This is the newest ZZP block available, it is replacing the Gen2 block that has had a lot GM block failures. The failures were due to GM attempting to "improve" the cooling passages in the block, but all they ended up doing was removing aluminum around the coolant passages and causing cracks".
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM

Yes, to somebody as ignorant as you, that would make a difference. What's even worse is that you've been here as long as you have and still don't know the GEN 2 block is weak.

It's ok if you're an LE5 fanboy but you really shouldn't get all butt hurt about it. You obviously don't care about making real power.

Since you love ZZP so much, do some reading!

ZZPerformance - ZZP Girdled Block Gen3 #

"This is the newest ZZP block available, it is replacing the Gen2 block that has had a lot GM block failures. The failures were due to GM attempting to "improve" the cooling passages in the block, but all they ended up doing was removing aluminum around the coolant passages and causing cracks".

Actually Im not an LE5 fanboy. I have one but thats the end of it. Now have you seen flow numbers for the vvt heads? For that matter who has actually ported an LE5 head to see what it can flow before and after? And the gen 2's seem to hold upto some decent abuse. Including ZZP's own 2.4 turbo. ZZP has earned my respect but I wouldnt say I love them. But they have proven the LE5's can take some abuse. Now unless you have some flow data on the LE5 head Im going to go ahead and say your pretty much talking out of your ass JR.

As for the "real power" comment
Tell you what when the tracks open go run your cute little "REAL POWER" LSJ at the track. I will go run my Z28 at the track. I promise your time will be at least a 2 full second slowers if not more in the 1/4! My LE5 is my daily driver. Not my toy.

Btw show me 1 cobalt on this board making "REAL POWER" theres plenty making respectable power and some that will impress a good amount of people. But in the end they are fwd econobox's. the top guys are exsoccer and Ryan from zzp. But neither of those are are really street cars. Muchless to my knowledge they both have block upgrades. Furthermore after looking up some stuff it looks like on average the LNF's are making more power on their weaker blocks than THE LSJ. Man those are really weak blocks.......... And to add further insult theres an LE5 making 400+whp on the stock motor.

To the op sorry about the derailment

Last edited by CordiaDOHC; 03-08-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Actually Im not an LE5 fanboy. I have one but thats the end of it. Now have you seen flow numbers for the vvt heads? For that matter who has actually ported an LE5 head to see what it can flow before and after? And the gen 2's seem to hold upto some decent abuse. Including ZZP's own 2.4 turbo. ZZP has earned my respect but I wouldnt say I love them. But they have proven the LE5's can take some abuse. Now unless you have some flow data on the LE5 head Im going to go ahead and say your pretty much talking out of your ass JR.

As for the "real power" comment
Tell you what when the tracks open go run your cute little "REAL POWER" LSJ at the track. I will go run my Z28 at the track. I promise your time will be at least a 2 full second slowers if not more in the 1/4! My LE5 is my daily driver. Not my toy.

Btw show me 1 cobalt on this board making "REAL POWER" theres plenty making respectable power and some that will impress a good amount of people. But in the end they are fwd econobox's. the top guys are exsoccer and Ryan from zzp. But neither of those are are really street cars. Muchless to my knowledge they both have block upgrades. Furthermore after looking up some stuff it looks like on average the LNF's are making more power on their weaker blocks than THE LSJ. Man those are really weak blocks.......... And to add further insult theres an LE5 making 400+whp on the stock motor.

To the op sorry about the derailment
For not being an LE5 fanboy you sure do get butthurt about it.

You keep pointing to this board as if it were some bible. I guess for you, it is. Not everyone spends their time posting here or bragging about their cars. Do you feel threatened by a high HP FWD car? Why should I care about your Z28? My C6 will likely run circles around it. Hell, my SRT4 will probably smoke it as well but who really cares?

I've seen guys jump teeth on the LNF cars and I have seen block failure on both the LE5 and LNF. I know people that have better things to do than post here yet they know more than you, me, and possibly ZZP for that matter when it comes to Ecotecs. Stop acting like a dumb kid. This forum is not a representation of ones knowledge. Clearly you are a perfect example of that.

I'm sure the OP got what they were looking for. I wouldn't worry to much about YOUR derailment...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:29 PM

For not being an LE5 fanboy you sure do get butthurt about it.

You keep pointing to this board as if it were some bible. I guess for you, it is. Not everyone spends their time posting here or bragging about their cars. Do you feel threatened by a high HP FWD car? Why should I care about your Z28? My C6 will likely run circles around it. Hell, my SRT4 will probably smoke it as well but who really cares?

I've seen guys jump teeth on the LNF cars and I have seen block failure on both the LE5 and LNF. I know people that have better things to do than post here yet they know more than you, me, and possibly ZZP for that matter when it comes to Ecotecs. Stop acting like a dumb kid. This forum is not a representation of ones knowledge. Clearly you are a perfect example of that.

I'm sure the OP got what they were looking for. I wouldn't worry to much about YOUR derailment...
I will run against your C6 Not too worried about them. Already raced a C6 wasnt impressed. And no not threatened from a high hp fwd. Other than them torque steering into me
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM

I will run against your C6 Not too worried about them. Already raced a C6 wasnt impressed. And no not threatened from a high hp fwd. Other than them torque steering into me
We should run for the hell of it. Two ******** that got off on the wrong foot so now they're taking it to the track. It's not like I can talk **** about your Z28 since I love all things Chevy but I promise you my Vette is far from stock.

For the record I can't stand FWD. I was just being an ass....

Have a good night!

Quick Reply: LE5 swap into a LSJ car possible