Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

06 supercharged cobalt steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 supercharged cobalt steering wheel removal

06 supercharged cobalt ss
what are the proper steps to remove steering wheel?
the current one is worn badly, I have a nice factory replacement to put on in its place but concerned about airbag etc system.
do I need to remove bat connections or a airbag fuse before starting?
is it as simple as, (using pin in back) pop of airbag/horn assembly, remove nut, pull wheel, unplug switches (cruise, audio etc) remove wheel and then put on replacement, then reverse order?
or something airbag, fuel pump or safety related I need to know about.
I am use to working on vehicles that are too old for any airbag or computer integration.

Last edited by 71jcguy; 07-18-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Its about how you said, pretty simple procedure.
If your nervous pull the neg battery cable and both sdm fuses on the bcm. Wait about 5 min and you should be safe to work.

There is a hole on each side of the wheel, you'll have to get a something long with a flat face, I usually use a long punch or the straight side of a allen wrench. The airbag connectors have a clip you have to pull out on a bit to unlock the connector from the airbag. The clips don't comepletly come out, they only pop out about a 1/4 inch or less. then there is clips on either side of the connector. sometimes pulling the connector it will come out on its own but sometimes youll have to push the clips in before pulling the connector.
Be careful not to turn the airbag clock spring any when you take the wheel off. It has to be centered or when you go to one of the end locks itl rip the ribbon cable inside.

sdm fuses.pdf

airbag.pdf

Wheel.pdf
Old 07-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok thanks, I just didn't want to unplug something I don't need to or not do something I need to before removing and disconnecting the steering wheel airbag, or getting everything swapped, only to plug in airbag and have it deploy. essentially just needed to know if I can unplug and plug airbag back in after wheel swap with no issues.

Last edited by 71jcguy; 07-18-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Should have no problems doing that. Just a heads up the airbag connectors go only one way and each one only goes to one on the airbag. They cannot be plugged in backwards or swapped side to side. Just make a note which one was where, they are color coded to help.

Id pull the neg cable and both sdm fuses to one, be safe and two, so you don't set any codes and have to deal with that.