Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID problem

Hey I have 1st gen projectors with 8000k HIDs and Relay kit. I bought a new 8000k kit for my head lights. My problem is, instead of seeing that graciously strong focused light being emitted by my projector it has either 1. a dead spot in the middle of the light beam on the wall, or off centered (like the beam is some what there while theres a rouge beam being projected lower) or 2 the beam has a dead spot on the wall about 15 feet way from the projector and when it gets farther way from something (like driving down the street) the beam is no longer there and gets diluted (so basically its not like before with the strong beam but rather a faded beam that goes away down the road. Before (when i bought my projectors with my HID kit) it looked fine and actually didnt need brights going down the road because of how high I had my cut off line (dont worry i dont blind people). but now that i did the kit swap i found that something isnt right. Do you think its just the crappy kit that i bought (bought from Buyhids.com now and waiting for them in the mail) or do you think i just didnt put them in right. I know this in a long question and thanks for everything guys

P.S. hey is there a specified way of putting in new bulbs in the 1st gen projectors. I broke off the 2 tabs on the bulbs because they werent flush with the projector. Do you think that is the problem.. Thanks again
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the bulb isn't seated right. Sounds like it needs rotated. Try rotating the bulb, and turning on the lights until you get the output to look right.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
Sounds like the bulb isn't seated right. Sounds like it needs rotated. Try rotating the bulb, and turning on the lights until you get the output to look right.
ok, will do. i heard from buy HIDs that your supposed to have the LEAD wire down.. and will need to open the bottem of the projector to allow that LEAD wire to fit.. I did that and nothing changed.. will try to rotate it a little more and see. Do you know anything about the 2 tabs on the bulb?

Soon i will go with retrofits once I get the money... damn 400 bucks
Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 PM
AWD > FWD

I had my lead sideways actually. It worked fine for me. With the h1 bulbs the side of the bulb base with the cut out side should only allow you to really mount it one way.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
I had my lead sideways actually. It worked fine for me. With the h1 bulbs the side of the bulb base with the cut out side should only allow you to really mount it one way.
Well this is what i had before and it looked great when I bought my projectors initially. So again do you know anything about those tabs on the H1s, do you break those off or what. They wont sit flush in my projector.. so I sanded them down so it sits flush. any ideas on if this was a good idea or not. like i said i bought BUYHIDS bulbs so they will be coming in soon. so any ideas will help with these GOOD bulbs.. not the ebay crap i bought for 40 bucks and tried to make work which is a pita right now
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

i had the same issue with my hid fogs. the cut off line was the exact same but if you were to look at the light dead on you couldnt see one of them and i think is cause the hid itself isnt lined up correctly it must be alil off idk how when it only goes in one way but its either that or the assembley part the light sits in is off
Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
AWD > FWD

Part of it is how tightly the bulb is seated. If the light emitting point of the bulb is not the same as the halogen bulb it comes with (such as the filament on a halogen bulb, or the plasma chamber in the hid bulb) the light will not shine the same, and the output greatly suffers. Most hid bulbs are longer than the halogen bulb and the plasma chamber sits further into the projector than the halogen filament, so the output is not the same, and glare and dark spots occur. The only way to do this is to space the bulb further back, which isn't always easy, especially on fog lights where the bulb twists in.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 AM

Alright guys, thanks for your help. I guess what I will do is take out the lamp and turn on the bulb... and see if when i pull the bulb back (with my heat gloves) with small increments, i can see if the bulb focuses in the projector or if they can be fixed to the point of how they were before.. thanks again guys
Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

yeah my hids in my headlights arnt the same either even once i get the same cutoff line. they sit in the housing weird so its hard to get them the same when there put in. the least lil bit can affect the light output
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by heathkidder
yeah my hids in my headlights arnt the same either even once i get the same cutoff line. they sit in the housing weird so its hard to get them the same when there put in. the least lil bit can affect the light output
well its funny.. the guys at the Ebay store where i bought my projectors got them perfect.. lol
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

well the gen 1's may be different im not sure. i know i had a tough time aiming them cause there were glare spots
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by heathkidder
well the gen 1's may be different im not sure. i know i had a tough time aiming them cause there were glare spots
Well like I said ill just mess with the bulbs while they are on to see if there is something you can do about the light.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 PM

Just wanted to follow up with a solution to the problem I had with my HIDs, THE LIGHTS DO NOT GO FAR "ENOUGH" IN!!! Yea so now i will be waiting for my BUYHIDS.com HIDs to see if they have better setup (hopefully after the warranty i just bought) So just for everyone to know that if you have a dead spot on your light or the beam of light is messed up looking and not projected as a strong beam, just take off you head lamp then unclip the bulb from the bracket but DONT take the bulb out!!! Turn on your lights and move it slightly in or out to see if the dead spot gets bigger or the beam gets more focused. I guess if i want to keep these lights for a back up i will have to shave some material off the plastic base of the bulb.