Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED's?

im installing some LED strips under my dash this weekend and i want to know what i would have to do to make them automatically turn on when the headlights come on... splice into the hadlight harness?? which wire?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacobmprater
im installing some LED strips under my dash this weekend and i want to know what i would have to do to make them automatically turn on when the headlights come on... splice into the hadlight harness?? which wire?
i wouldn't recommend that if you like to keep your warranty just hook them up to a switch much easier and less messy
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM

i wouldnt hook em up to the hedlights. what i did is i used the center 12v power outlet next to the hand break.. i pulled the wires off the back and used that as a 12v power source then i placed a switched under the HVAC controls .. it's super clean and you can have them on when your in park. and being that they are LED's you can leave them on for days and not drain your battery. i used the micro LED strips and you can cut them to how ever long you need them

[
and to make your gauges glow like i did mine i cut a strip of micro leds and attached it behind the steeringwheel

and i also have a strip under the arm rest to glow the center along with one under the HVAC controls to glow the switches
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 AM

ya i did the same thing except i tapped right into the fuse panel.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 AM

how did you put the led in the door thing? i wanted to do that too but couldnt figure out how
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM

the same way as you would the underdash led's, the easiest way is to ground the light in the door and then you only have one wire to run through wiring harness rubber sleeve. and from there its the same. oh and you have to drill a hole in the door panel and use some hot glue to keep it in place.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM

i wanted to put them to turn on with the headlights but if i might just use a switch. i just thought it would be cool.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM

I have put a shitload of LED's in my car. Trust me, you can splice into a headlight wire if you're running stock bulbs. Two LED strips will draw virtually nothing. If you plan on adding more, just pick up an automotive relay for like $5 at an auto store and run a dedicated 12 guage wire from your battery, problem solved; you could then add as many as you want because the stock wiring would only be controlling your lights, not actually powering them. They'll come on with your headlights... though I'd splice into the running lamp wire so they come on when it gets dark out as opposed to only when the headlights are on. It's up to you.

Suprised none of you gurus thought of a relay.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Acey
I have put a shitload of LED's in my car. Trust me, you can splice into a headlight wire if you're running stock bulbs. Two LED strips will draw virtually nothing. If you plan on adding more, just pick up an automotive relay for like $5 at an auto store and run a dedicated 12 guage wire from your battery, problem solved; you could then add as many as you want because the stock wiring would only be controlling your lights, not actually powering them. They'll come on with your headlights... though I'd splice into the running lamp wire so they come on when it gets dark out as opposed to only when the headlights are on. It's up to you.

I think its not that they didnt think of a relay, but that they were looking more to get away from the headlight thing, since it is so easy to tap into any of the powersources in the car.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM

how would i go about using this... relay? i want them to come on with my lights. so... any one could help that would be great! thanx guys!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM

So for your set up, pin 30 would go directly to the battery, pin 86 would splice into either your left or right low beam headlight wire, and pin 87 would go to your LED's.

I still say use the running lamps and not headlights... cause if you want high beams your LED's will go off. Bosch relays are a godsend... pin 87 in most relays can take 30-40 amps... your LED's will draw less than 1 amp... as long as you stick with LED's you'll never max out this relay.

http://www.oznium.com/forum/ for any further inquiries.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM

my under dash lights are hooked up to a switch and theyre plugged into fuse slot 21 on the right side of the console using an add-a-fuse....simple easy and NO splicing cutting w/e
my door handle leds are just spliced into the power wires for the door locks and they work perfectly

Old 05-09-2008, 03:11 PM

mikeymo.. can you take a pic of how you mounted your lights under the dash?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by CleanCut
mikeymo.. can you take a pic of how you mounted your lights under the dash?
theyre not in there anymore lol i took em out cuz i almost traded in my car...i just zip tied the on on the pass side to the bottom of the glove box and the one on the pass side i just jammed in and it stayed there
Old 05-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Sure you can use an add-a-fuse and use stock wiring if you want... or you could do it the proper way and run a dedicated line from your battery and not have to worry about how much current your pulling on stock wiring.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Sure you can use an add-a-fuse and use stock wiring if you want... or you could do it the proper way and run a dedicated line from your battery and not have to worry about how much current your pulling on stock wiring.
leds don't pull very much current.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 PM

LED's barely pull any power...and its direct from an unused fuse slot which works just fine...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM

were would i get this realy at??? how do i install a relay?? were do i put it?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
leds don't pull very much current.
Yeah but if he wants to add something that does draw little bit of power, like underglow or a cold cathode kit for example, he won't have to redo his wiring set up. But whatever. I gave my advice.

I only say it because I went the exact same route and used an add-a-fuse, got addicted to interior glow and started piling stuff on that circuit and subsequently fried some wiring. Pays to do it right.

Originally Posted by jacobmprater
were would i get this realy at??? how do i install a relay?? were do i put it?
You can buy relays on oznium.com or eBay. I'm not sure where the fuse panel is on Cobalts, and I have reason to believe the battery is in the trunk. Please visit the Oznium forums.. there are many threads with detailed instructions for either the add-a-circuit method or the relay method, pretty much universal to any car.

Last edited by Acey; 05-10-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2008, 02:49 AM

Yea the battery is in the trunk and the fuse box is on the right side of the middle panel up front.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 PM

i just pliced in to the cigar lighter and put a switch next to it. its all in there and looks awsome. ill get night pics up tonight.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Yeah but if he wants to add something that does draw little bit of power, like underglow or a cold cathode kit for example, he won't have to redo his wiring set up. But whatever. I gave my advice.

I only say it because I went the exact same route and used an add-a-fuse, got addicted to interior glow and started piling stuff on that circuit and subsequently fried some wiring. Pays to do it right.
ya it would be preferred to run it to the battery but you can run all those from the fuse panel as long as you don't over do it. i've got 2 cold cathode lights and 5 single leds on one circuit with a 5amp fuse and i've got a neon underglow kit that draws 6amps on a seperate circuit with a 7.5amp fuse. they all run fine.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 PM

updated images
Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 AM

Terrible pics, but it looks like a clean install.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:03 AM

yea everything is hidden. u have to actually feel for the lights you cant see em at all. every wire is hidden and i tried to make it as professional as possible.