Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Running resistors with LEDs and effects on BCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running resistors with LEDs and effects on BCM

I will going ahead and point this out now that I am a total tard when it comes to deciphering ohms, resistance, or anything more than hot and ground when it comes to electronics and wiring. So if this sounds dumb, you'll know why. Anyways, I installed a LED dome light to replace the factory incandescent bulb. All worked well while it was on with the doors opened. When the doors were closed and the LED dimmed down to shut off, the individual LEDs could still be seen slightly illuminated. Apparently this is pretty common amongst most newer cars that have a BCM, since there is still slight power being supplied to the dome lamp and this small amount of current is enough to illuminate the LED dome lamp.

Instead of going around looking like my car has a phukd up dome lamp, I went online searching for a fix. From what I have seen adding a resistor and attaching it to each end of the festoon style LED is the fix for this. So today I stopped into the Radio Shack and grabbed a 470 ohm resistor. I attached each end of the resistor to the LED, and voila the LED now goes out like it should.

The only thing I am concerned with is that the resistor may cause some confusion with the BCM, and possibly screw it up due to being the incorrect rating for this use. Is anyone else here running a resistor in their dome lamp, if so what size resistor and have you noticed any weird electronic problems arise after using them? Is there any reason I should be concerned?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM

A resistor is just a restriction for current. It's like the option b bleed where you have to put the small restrictor in. It will have no effect on your bcm at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the same problem with my led dome as well. I just leave it off Nice job figuring this out. Did you just twist them on there or solder them on?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by joshcsepegi
A resistor is just a restriction for current. It's like the option b bleed where you have to put the small restrictor in. It will have no effect on your bcm at all.
Makes sense. I just didn't want to run the risk of messing an expensive part because of a cheap appearance mode.

Originally Posted by Xmetalhead2003X
I've had the same problem with my led dome as well. I just leave it off Nice job figuring this out. Did you just twist them on there or solder them on?
Just twisted it on each end