Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Want to Powdercoat Calipers - Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all depends on how long you plan on keeping them. Powder coating will out last the paint you all are using. The paint looks good when finished and for the first couple weeks/months, but sooner or later it is going to chip, fade,etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by flash13brandon
It all depends on how long you plan on keeping them. Powder coating will out last the paint you all are using. The paint looks good when finished and for the first couple weeks/months, but sooner or later it is going to chip, fade,etc.
I've had mine done for 8 months now (using G2) and it sits on the street all day and through the Chicago winter...looks just like it did on day 1...if you do it right it will last...no chipping, no fading, excellent product...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjrchabot
Those look very nice. I've never seen them done like that. I wet sanded them down before painting to ensure a smooth finish.
TY & thats why i did it, No one else had... I used a Die grinder,,, then wet sanded...Then polished them & finally cleared them with ceramakote 1000 degree clear coat!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mjrchabot
I do like powdercoating. But I'll tell you what, the $30 can of Duplicolor caliper paint turned out amazing. And they are glossy, so to the member who argued only powdercoating is glossy, that's not true. I'm going to apply some clear coat on after they are cured to protect them even more. There's absolutely no reason for the paint to chip or fade if they are done correctly (painted, of course). I'm really happy how they turned out.
I'll have to park my car for another week though as I wait for the Brembo logos to come from eBay. It's a longer process than I expected, but I did do this impulsively so I didn't have everything ordered and timed out. But I believe if you're going to do something, do it right - so I'm taking my time.
I have the fronts done, I'll be painting the rears today.
I'll post pics when they are finished.
I saw that Duplicolor the other day while I was getting oil at OReilly's. The "red" looked to me to be a little bit on the orange side. Did it turn out to be a nice red after all?

Originally Posted by BlilBT
TY & thats why i did it, No one else had... I used a Die grinder,,, then wet sanded...Then polished them & finally cleared them with ceramakote 1000 degree clear coat!
I was wondering, does wet sanding them actually cause it to want to chip easier later? The reason I'm wondering this is for the same reason you use primer... for something rough/textured for the paint to stick/hold on to. It just seems to me that if you get them very super smooth, that the paint may not stick well. Any problems with it so far? If there aren't any issues, I'd be interested in that. I like the way it looks as long as there weren't paint issues later on.

Last edited by Stamina; 04-03-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina

I was wondering, does wet sanding them actually cause it to want to chip easier later? The reason I'm wondering this is for the same reason you use primer... for something rough/textured for the paint to stick/hold on to. It just seems to me that if you get them very super smooth, that the paint may not stick well. Any problems with it so far? If there aren't any issues, I'd be interested in that. I like the way it looks as long as there weren't paint issues later on.
If you plan on painting then i would recommend that you primer them 1st, if you are going to powder coat them just sand smooth & get it done! The clear coat I used is designed for polished metals & smooth metal surfaces....It cost $108 a quart!
I've had zero problems with it for the past 3 years...This was 1 of the 1st polishing mods I did 3 years ago!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Stamina;3690382]I saw that Duplicolor the other day while I was getting oil at OReilly's. The "red" looked to me to be a little bit on the orange side. Did it turn out to be a nice red after all?

Yup, they turned out very bright, glossy red. Not hint of orange in my opinion. It only costs me $30CDN for the paint, and I bought Duplicolor Engine Enamel (Clear) that I'm going to put on after they are done curing to strengthen the finish and protect it.

And like the guy said above, if painting the calipers are done right... there's absolutely no reason for the paint to chip or fade.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina
I saw that Duplicolor the other day while I was getting oil at OReilly's. The "red" looked to me to be a little bit on the orange side. Did it turn out to be a nice red after all?.

Thats the color I used on mine (see pic above) - it matches the victory red quite well..
Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 AM

I don't dispute the fact that if you do it right the paint should hold up well. But most people don't prep properly and most don't even clearcoat.

When you powdercoat, they are sandblasted for a clean, ready to adhere to finish. Then they are powdercoated and then the finish is baked on.

Since you have a baked finish, it is all the way through the powercoat. This means, if you scratch it a bit, such as I, that it will still look ok because you have a baked on finish of the powdercoat.

When you paint, the finish isn't baked on and is not very thick. When you scratch, you're already down to the primer or the bare caliper.

In the short run, painted vs powdercoated is the same. In the long run, your painted finish will not outlast a powdercoated finish.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
I didn't Powder coat mine... I grinded them down & polished them, then put on a ceramakote over it & so far it's last almost 3 years! So I would think that powder coating would give you about the same wear! If you do them grind them smooth 1st it will look so much better if you remove the sand casting dimples...As far as removal pretty striaght forward... take a rag shove it thru the collar after you remove the bolt & it will slow the release of fluid to very little! I did it & barely lost any fluid!

Heres mine!
I plan on doing this exact same thing. Sand/grind them down to a smooth finish, but I have the new TC so I am trying to figure something out about the Brembo logo. I wanna keep that.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM

^^^ Just order them off eBay or something - that's what I did.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:19 PM

I have to repaint every spring or else they are dull and chipped....I think I will also powdercoat instead this year!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2FST4U
I plan on doing this exact same thing. Sand/grind them down to a smooth finish, but I have the new TC so I am trying to figure something out about the Brembo logo. I wanna keep that.
That wont be to hard & if by chance you mess it up a little just repaint them..after polishing!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

*Moved to Appearance, please post in the correct section*
Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

I will figure it out. I am in school for automotive. I just wanna smooth them out then powder coat red