Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Another video thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another video thread!

So I did another track day done. This one is me at the Autobahn Country Club. I was home in Chicago on leave and there happened to be this SCCA PDX near by. Lucky me .

Anyway here is the Vid, with a nice sunset in the background. Had a lot of fun at this one, and there was a pretty good Cobalt turn out. Four (including me) attended. If any of you see this give me a holler.

SCCA Chicago Region PDX#2 group2 Session 2 - YouTube

Oh and for any body familar with the SS/TCs on tracks, have any of you had oil leaking issues? Had a slight leak, but didn't seems to serious. It was coming from around the intercooler.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like you were having fun out there. I would highly encourage some seat time with an instructor though, or at least ride with a top notch instructor/racer.

Regarding the leaks, there are a few things that can occur. Touch the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump. If you have oil there, the gasket for the HPFP is leaking. There's also the possibility of a leak at the cam cap, which will cause a big mess, but no considerable oil loss. If you have oil coming out near the clamps on the intercooler, it's likely from blowby. Remove the coupler, clean with MAF cleaner (NOT brake cleaner), use hairspray to seal, and get a catch can. Also, make sure you're not overfilling the oil above the full line, and don't use Pennzoil Ultra, which causes a lot of blowby, I've found.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM

took the Cobalt to the track only 4 days while I had it and no leaking issues.

I noticed you hit the call button lol. it happened to me a couple of times and it was very annoying
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
Looks like you were having fun out there. I would highly encourage some seat time with an instructor though, or at least ride with a top notch instructor/racer.

Regarding the leaks, there are a few things that can occur. Touch the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump. If you have oil there, the gasket for the HPFP is leaking. There's also the possibility of a leak at the cam cap, which will cause a big mess, but no considerable oil loss. If you have oil coming out near the clamps on the intercooler, it's likely from blowby. Remove the coupler, clean with MAF cleaner (NOT brake cleaner), use hairspray to seal, and get a catch can. Also, make sure you're not overfilling the oil above the full line, and don't use Pennzoil Ultra, which causes a lot of blowby, I've found.
I had a blast. It was my first time on this course and wan't sure what to expect. But the layout of a lot easier for me to get down than I thought it would. I thought about asking an instructor to ride with me, but there were a lot of guys that wanted one and not really enough for everyone, so I thought it would be best to leave them with the guys who needed them.

And thanks for the info on the leak. I think it might be blowby like you said. When I get some time I'll go and clean the MAF and grab a catch can. Thanks for the help .
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mechs
I had a blast. It was my first time on this course and wan't sure what to expect. But the layout of a lot easier for me to get down than I thought it would. I thought about asking an instructor to ride with me, but there were a lot of guys that wanted one and not really enough for everyone, so I thought it would be best to leave them with the guys who needed them.

And thanks for the info on the leak. I think it might be blowby like you said. When I get some time I'll go and clean the MAF and grab a catch can. Thanks for the help .
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the MP catch can, so I went with my own. There may be something else designed specifically for our cars soon though. Until then, I'm happy with this:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...roject-281403/

I added the drain back in, but I need to pop the filter off to drain it, so I put paint marks on the filter to clock it consistently.