Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Harnesses for better holding

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Harnesses for better holding

After a day at the track I realize my shoulders are sore from holding on to the steering wheel and my left knee has a nice bruise on it from bracing myself. Without replacing my seat and installing a roll cage, is there a harness I can get that will keep me held in much tighter to the seat? I've seen some folks with systems that bolt onto the existing seat belt points and then the over the shoulder straps either click into the rear seat belt buckle or child safety latches. Does anything like this exist for the Cobalt? I've looked around and found some things that *might* work but was wondering if anyone out there has done anything that is proven to work?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
First make sure your side bolsters are holding you well. You can bend them inward to help hold you. Also verify your seating position is correct for racing (there are a number of guides out there that all pretty much say the same thing, Porsche does a nice one on Road & Track).
Old 07-07-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Best option for stock seats: https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit
Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
First make sure your side bolsters are holding you well. You can bend them inward to help hold you. Also verify your seating position is correct for racing (there are a number of guides out there that all pretty much say the same thing, Porsche does a nice one on Road & Track).
Thanks, I've tried this earlier on. Getting my seat position was crucial and made a huge difference. I also had an instructor once give me a tip, back when I was tracking a car with power seats, to slide the seat back, force the seatbelt to lock and then slide the seat position forward so that the factory seatbelt held you in place. This worked really well.

Originally Posted by Foximus
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for! I've seen some folks in the past running these. They don't list the Cobalt on their site. Is there a specific one that is mostly compatible with our cars that can be made to work?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
What seats do you have? Reason I ask is that the stock seats in my (2010) SS hold me just fine at the track (pulling 1.2G's) in concert with the stock seat belts.

I have to get on my soap box for a minute here and talk about safety. There are road safety systems (3-point belts, collapsible seats, airbags) and there are race track safety systems (5 point belts, rigid seats, roll cage and helmet) and you can't mix and match between the two. While the seat belts linked by Foximus may be fine for autocross, where speeds are low and a rollover is highly unlikely, I would not use them around a race track, let alone for street driving. In a rollover crash, they will not allow you to slide down and forward the way a road safety system is designed to do, putting you at risk for neck injury/paralysis from the collapsing roof.

I know some folks use a so-called CG Lock which basically straps you in at the hips to keep you from sliding. I have the same concerns listed above about those at a race track though.

Here's a really good article about safety systems:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-safety-facts/
Old 07-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
What seats do you have? Reason I ask is that the stock seats in my (2010) SS hold me just fine at the track (pulling 1.2G's) in concert with the stock seat belts.

I have to get on my soap box for a minute here and talk about safety. There are road safety systems (3-point belts, collapsible seats, airbags) and there are race track safety systems (5 point belts, rigid seats, roll cage and helmet) and you can't mix and match between the two. While the seat belts linked by Foximus may be fine for autocross, where speeds are low and a rollover is highly unlikely, I would not use them around a race track, let alone for street driving. In a rollover crash, they will not allow you to slide down and forward the way a road safety system is designed to do, putting you at risk for neck injury/paralysis from the collapsing roof.

I know some folks use a so-called CG Lock which basically straps you in at the hips to keep you from sliding. I have the same concerns listed above about those at a race track though.

Here's a really good article about safety systems:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-safety-facts/
Thanks for the info! This is fairly close to what I was told 15yrs ago or so when I first started to dabble in DEs. I guess not much has changed. I was really hoping there was some kind of system available that would work together with everything. I've set my seating position some time ago, I'll fiddle around with all that again and see if I can configure it to hold me better. Thanks again!