Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

How do you get into autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get into autocross?

My question is one I'm sure alot of people wonder, how do you get started in amateur autocross?

I want to start soon and get my feet wet in the sport, but I don't know if I need a certain license, take classes, helmets, certain things have to be done to the car, etc?

Thanks ahead of time guys
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TX.SS.TC
My question is one I'm sure alot of people wonder, how do you get started in amateur autocross?

I want to start soon and get my feet wet in the sport, but I don't know if I need a certain license, take classes, helmets, certain things have to be done to the car, etc?

Thanks ahead of time guys

Go to the SCCA Solo website here -- SCCA - Sports Car Club of America -- and look into the Solo rules. Here's also where you can find out who's doing autocross in your local area (Texas is pretty active).

Go to the Rocky Mountain Solo site and go through the materials online -- Rocky Mountain Solo Series Help Page -- and particularly look at these -- RMSolo School Introduction and "The RMSOLO Newcomer's Guide to Solo" (it's a .pdf file) and here -- Sea of Cones : A Documentary About Autocross on Vimeo

You need a drivers license (from your State), you don't need to take any classes, the helmet rule is that you must have a SNELL 2000 or later helmet (you can usually borrow a helmet locally), and the info on the Rocky Mountain site will tell you everything you need to do to your car.

Enjoy, Scott 65/165 DSP
Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM

clicksss
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to a local event and just have fun.

I think you need a SA or M 2005 now... but im not sure.

There will always be someone there to help out with calssing, working the track, and running the track. Big part is dont fear asking questions. I know here we have a novice teacher and they are always willing to help the new people.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, wish I could find a track closer to me though. MSR Houston is about 3 hrs away and Texas Motor Speedway is 4 hours away
Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, wish I could find a track closer to me though. MSR Houston is about 3 hrs away and Texas Motor Speedway is 4 hours away
You'll be getting a FIA track next year in Austin.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

anyone know how and where you would do this in Ontario Canada?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're a little confused. You can find autox events everywhere. I'm sure there are some in San Antonio and Austin. TWS is a full sized track. That would be a track day, or Solo II event.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM

did a quick search, LOTS of stuff in San Antonio

SASCA.org
Texas SPOKES Sports Car Club
Autoholics of Texas » AUTOCROSS: Sunday 3/13 – SPOKES – San Antonio

Seems like an event every damn weekend down there!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, there are many places more local to you probably. If you're interested in track days, there's MSR and TWS (Texas World Speedway) in Houston and College Station respectively. Texas Motor Speedway is in the Dallas area.

A good one IMO are the Auto-X events that the Texas A&M Sports Car Club puts on (TAMSCC). They hold events out West of the Bryan/College Station area at an abandoned Army Air Corps bomber field on the giant runways out there (called Riverside Campus by A&M or Texas A&M Flight Test Station Airport by Google Maps). There's never any risk of hitting anything because you'll never get close to the edges of the runways. People come from as far as San Antonio to do it. I'd check out their website. They do Auto-X, Track Days, Rallyes, etc.

I went to those events for several years, and really enjoyed it. It's cool even spectating.

If you're just getting your feet wet, I'd suggest doing ride-alongs. Just grab a loaner helmet off the "tree" and ask somebody if you can jump in with them for a lap or two. People will usually say hop on in. Some of the coolest cars I've ever ridden in were ride-alongs. Don't be scared to ask. Most of them are very friendly.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been about 11 years or so since I ran with him, but Rick Schwalenberg used to put on nice events. Looks like his company has grown considerably since then, though I did hear of the incident last year.

The Drivers Edge

They run events at TWS too. I think that track layout has changed since I've been there last.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM

I guess I thought you could only run during track days, I really am very new at this, I'll look into the events at A&M and around San Antonio. That should be a good place to start for sure
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I thought you could only run during track days, I really am very new at this, I'll look into the events at A&M and around San Antonio. That should be a good place to start for sure
No way. Track days are separate. Auto-X (at least in CS) is held at a completely different place and has no relation to TWS.

Speaking of which... This Sunday @ 8AM, they're having another Auto-X in College Station for $10 for TAMSCC members and $15 for non-members.

Here's where to go:
Just turn off of 47 onto 5th, and there should be people/signs to assist you. You can also go to their website for more information.

5th St - Google Maps

Here's the full listing, as noted on Facebook:

TAMSCC SPRING 2011 AX4- Last one of the Semester!!!!

When: Sunday, April 17th
Where: Riverside Annex (Bryan/College Station)
Cost: $10 for members, $15 for non-members
Registration: 8:00 - 9:30 AM (If you arrive after 9:30 AM, sorry but you do not drive!)
Tech: 8:30 - 10:00 AM
Novice Walkthrough: 9:45 AM
Driver's Meeting: 10:15 AM
First Car Out: 10:30 AM

Gates close at 2pm.

Pre-Registration on AXWare ORM (closes at 10 PM on Saturday 4/16; not required but HIGHLY recommended):
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...1259&clubid=24

Pre-Registered Entry List:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...electclubid=24

First time at a TAMSCC Event? Please review the following links:

Maps to/of our event site:
http://www.tamscc.org/forum/index.php?doc=riverside

Our required insurance form (.pdf file ~ 175k).
http://www.tamscc.org/misc/tamscc_insform.pdf

Notes:

* Please pre-register. It's free and it saves us time and hassle.
* We need help setting up, please see respective thread.
* AX is a rain or shine event. We will run in the rain unless otherwise noticed.
* We go by SCCA National Solo rules and classes.
* We will have an LM (Lemons) class and an STM (Street Tire Mod) class as well.
* Any questions? Post here or private message.

We will be setting up on Saturday April 16th at ~1:00pm. There will be somebody at the gate till about 1:10pm letting people in since the gates are closed on the weekends. If you cannot make it till a bit later, give me a call at 97982o5457 and someone will come to the front and let you in.

We also need someone to work the gate from 7:30am till 2pm. Pay is $50. If you are interested pm or txt Corbin at the number above.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 PM

Dammit, I won't get paid until next Friday and I just dropped all my money on paying a few of my college loans. I'll have to wait until next time, thanks for looking out though buddy
Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss
anyone know how and where you would do this in Ontario Canada?
I don't know where you are exactly, but I know people that have run with these guys (MI people).

WOSCA Information

You know, they said that Canadians aren't bad guys after all...

They also run some winter events, which don't happen in our area in the US.