Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

On a serious note! Please read...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Projekt
oh i just relized you guys are from ontario...

where abouts is this track..i would love to take a road trip to do this/meet you guys.
http://www.dunnvilleautodrome.com/directions.htm

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Hah, I was going to ask if she took the car for out for a spin; I figured she wouldn't be able to resist the temptation! Good to hear everyone had a good time and the car performed well .

With my g/f out of town this weekend I'm trying to find one of my friends to make the trip down either Saturday or Sunday with me so I can come watch and see what the events are all about and particularly to see the 'Balt tear it up. So far no luck, they'd rather stay behind and get drunk which makes me the oddball out of the group but I'll keep trying . The online schedule shows dates but no times (I remember you said super early), if you have a schedule could you please PM me the approximate times whenever you have a second (for Sat and Sun) so I can plan getting sleep accordingly if I find someone to tag along? I'll do my best to let you know by Friday night whether or not I've tracked someone down...I might have to resort to bribery as a last ditch effort .
Ok, the wife said she won't miss this for the world so I am taking the family for a nice camping trip next to the race track
http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16753

Thanks again guys, this little Cobalt made me look like Ron Fellows and to those thinking of doing it, please get out there and GO for it. GM got this one right I swear!

"one weekend at the racetrack is better than a week in a fishing cabin in the woods..."

Last edited by venom09; 05-20-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the link, looks like I would need to leave my house around 7am if I want to catch the morning competition. I thought it was tough finding someone to go with me period, wait until I mention the number 7 and the letters "am" in the same sentence, they're going to think I'm nutts . Perhaps my first mod should be a coffee maker and dishwasher so I can stay fuelled up on the way .

Out of curiosity, does this point mean the actual gate entrance or the actual "entrance" to the track itself (I assume I'll have to sign some waiver at the gates similar to the strip) since it makes no mention of spectators as far as I can tell:

5) Only people who have signed the track waiver
and have a wrist band will be allowed past the yellow tape
at entrance to the track

Again, I'll do my best to let you know before Friday since I assume you're leaving for the track at some point that day. I really wanna come for this, just need to make sure I get sleep this week and find a way to get motivated to drag my lazy butt out of bed !
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM

nice driving looks like great fun but........ no gloves..... not helmets? and that track looks really narrow also.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM

As I said before, Venom was tearing it up on the track!! Awesome tires + Phenomenal driving!! I was on stock tires, and all you could hear was screeching; I had barely any traction coming out of the corners.

Hey Venom, out of curiosity, did you have the car on regular mode, "Competitive Mode" or all traction and ESC off?

Thanks,
Jigz
Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JiggaChillan
As I said before, Venom was tearing it up on the track!! Awesome tires + Phenomenal driving!! I was on stock tires, and all you could hear was screeching; I had barely any traction coming out of the corners.

Hey Venom, out of curiosity, did you have the car on regular mode, "Competitive Mode" or all traction and ESC off?

Thanks,
Jigz
Competitive Mode the entire day. In the next clip you can see it working, keep an eye on the brake lights. When you see them comming on during midcorners (or the sweeper) that is ESC working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUX8u0Z93zs

Now go get some tires so we can tearup the local tracks
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM

Took mine out the second week I had it. I was able to pull in some coilovered E46's and STi's. Bone stock down to the 280 treadwear Conti's........heh, even had my wife in the car. Can't wait to out out with something in the 140-200 treadwear range & rsb. Couple of pics in my gallery.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your really tearing it up out there. I always new the cobalt's handled well, especially with a few mods to the suspension but I didn't realize how good they handle.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by idlingmike
Took mine out the second week I had it. I was able to pull in some coilovered E46's and STi's. Bone stock down to the 280 treadwear Conti's........heh, even had my wife in the car. Can't wait to out out with something in the 140-200 treadwear range & rsb. Couple of pics in my gallery.
Nice! You should take a look at the NT05's or the Direzza's for your next purchace.

Originally Posted by Maxim_X
Your really tearing it up out there. I always new the cobalt's handled well, especially with a few mods to the suspension but I didn't realize how good they handle.
At this point there is absolutely no reason to mod the susp on the 08/09 CobaltSS IMHO. It is very well balanced with a little understeer midcorner (that is a GOOD thing) and lots of feel at the limit. Thanks bud.

UPDATE on my first post
thanks everyone

Last edited by venom09; 05-21-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Yup, I'm looking at those Direzza Star Spec's. BTW, the no-lift-shift is designed for continuous use. I used mine all day on the straights without issue. Makes a big difference.

-Mike

Originally Posted by venom09
Nice! You should take a look at the NT05's or the Direzza's for your next purchace.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Unfortunately I need to wait till after my wedding to buy anymore toys for my car....
Old 05-22-2009, 12:28 AM

Two words.....

GIFT REGISTRY

Unfortunately I need to wait till after my wedding to buy anymore toys for my car....
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Competitive Mode the entire day. In the next clip you can see it working, keep an eye on the brake lights. When you see them comming on during midcorners (or the sweeper) that is ESC working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUX8u0Z93zs

looked like a close race there lol. Though u could tell he had to slow down for yea in some of the corners but seeing as ur a stock cobalt against a modded beamer, ur car did incredible
Old 05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
ogc

Good to see you got out in it, yet again little cobalt surprising alot of people.

I was lapping with an E46 M3 at Calabogie a couple of weeks ago, he had some suspension and exhaust work, easily keep up with him.

Tires are definitely next on my list, my stock ones are completely fried now.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM

When is the big day?

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
looked like a close race there lol. Though u could tell he had to slow down for yea in some of the corners but seeing as ur a stock cobalt against a modded beamer, ur car did incredible
According to the laptimes I was still faster...

Originally Posted by ogc
Good to see you got out in it, yet again little cobalt surprising alot of people.

I was lapping with an E46 M3 at Calabogie a couple of weeks ago, he had some suspension and exhaust work, easily keep up with him.

Tires are definitely next on my list, my stock ones are completely fried now.
Are you more aggressive now since I saw you on TMP?

Update on my first post and more vids to follow soon

Thanks

Last edited by venom09; 05-25-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM
ogc

Are you more aggressive now since I saw you on TMP?

Update on my first post and more vids to follow soon

Thanks
More comfortable definitely so going faster.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 AM

Cobalt won it's class 2 days in a row! Results link on my 1st post!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
ogc

Cobalt won it's class 2 days in a row! Results link on my 1st post!
NICE.. good work

Definitely sounds like alot of people are going to be complaining now though haha.

What have you done to your suspension?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ogc
What have you done to your suspension?
OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say it was totally stock aside from a muffler delete and the NT05s? He said above that there's absolutely no need to mod the suspension on the SS/TC.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
ogc

Originally Posted by Force
OP can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say it was totally stock aside from a muffler delete and the NT05s? He said above that there's absolutely no need to mod the suspension on the SS/TC.
Yeah your right... Just looks like it is sitting lower....
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Nice Work Rian I don't think they have any ground to complain, it isn't like you totally blew them out of the water. Different drivers different cars etc etc. I have driven two new turbo balts and after driving my 06 since new the new ones have been improved a tonn. I will try am make it to the new solo1 and bring my camera and snap some shots of you on track. Sadly(kinda) I can't afford to do anything this year (first house and wife is preggers)and I haven't picked up any R compound tires.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SoloZ/SS
Nice Work Rian I don't think they have any ground to complain, it isn't like you totally blew them out of the water. Different drivers different cars etc etc. I have driven two new turbo balts and after driving my 06 since new the new ones have been improved a tonn. I will try am make it to the new solo1 and bring my camera and snap some shots of you on track. Sadly(kinda) I can't afford to do anything this year (first house and wife is preggers)and I haven't picked up any R compound tires.
During the first runs in the morning I was more than a sec faster than my class and that made everyone nervous I quess. It was only when Jay Fram started to catch up in the afternoon that they calmed down. lol
Hope to see you out sometime, even if you run your street tires!

thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM

When is the big day?
July 25....and it's coming fast....
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM

July 25....and it's coming fast....

"You can sleep in a car but, you cannot race a house" haha

I have you on tape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKiAh9Xvmw8
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

Whoo!

twisties>straights

e-props
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 AM

Cobalt works in autocross too!

1st place in D stock.
result link added on my first post...

Quick Reply: On a serious note! Please read...