Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

On a serious note! Please read...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im glad to see how the car works
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM

This is a true arive and drive car. All you have to do is check the basics (fluid levels, wheel nuts, tires etc) and you are ready to go! She will keep up with the best of them and beat most on a tipical track day in my experience.

Pics from my last WOSCA autocross event.
vid on my first post

Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
ogc

I think I want to get into competition and see how I do.

Reading through the CASC rules... it is legal to use the Hoosier A6 or R6 and change the rim size?

I was going to pick up a set of 245/45/17 Hoosiers to run on the car, but I may reconsider if that is an illegal move, although it reads to me like they would be allowed.

Are there any other autocross days going on in the GTA anytime soon?

Found this one this weekend, I think I might go, http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16911

Last edited by ogc; 06-02-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ogc

Reading through the CASC rules... it is legal to use the Hoosier A6 or R6 and change the rim size?

I was going to pick up a set of 245/45/17 Hoosiers to run on the car, but I may reconsider if that is an illegal move, although it reads to me like they would be allowed.

Found this one this weekend, I think I might go, http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16911

Good for you, I am sure you will like it.
I only do autocross for fun (never actually read the rulebook) a couple times a year.

This is the tire rules for Solosprint.

"The Tire size is limited by the following: the horizontal top contact patch
portion of the tire, when viewed from the top and perpendicular to the
ground, shall not extend beyond the original wheel well opening. To
determine if a particular wheel/tire combination meets this rule, the tire
contact patch may be determined by rolling the tire when mounted on the
car and at the maximum permitted inflation pressure, through a thin (1/16th
of an inch or less) layer of powdered substance such as chalk. Once the
contact patch is so marked, the vehicle is rolled ahead so that the chalked
portion of the tire tread is at the top. If the chalked area of the tread does
not extend beyond a plumb line dropped from the fender edge, then the
combination is legal"

What size rims do you have? I am looking for 17x9's.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
ogc

Originally Posted by venom09
Good for you, I am sure you will like it.
I only do autocross for fun (never actually read the rulebook) a couple times a year.

This is the tire rules for Solosprint.

"The Tire size is limited by the following: the horizontal top contact patch
portion of the tire, when viewed from the top and perpendicular to the
ground, shall not extend beyond the original wheel well opening. To
determine if a particular wheel/tire combination meets this rule, the tire
contact patch may be determined by rolling the tire when mounted on the
car and at the maximum permitted inflation pressure, through a thin (1/16th
of an inch or less) layer of powdered substance such as chalk. Once the
contact patch is so marked, the vehicle is rolled ahead so that the chalked
portion of the tire tread is at the top. If the chalked area of the tread does
not extend beyond a plumb line dropped from the fender edge, then the
combination is legal"

What size rims do you have? I am looking for 17x9's.
17x9 FAST Evolutions.

Pure luck I found someone selling a set for an SS/SC, I test fitted them and they clear the front calipers with more room than the stockers.

I have tried looking for more for other people however it doesnt look like they make this wheel anymore, and it does not even show them making it with the right bolt pattern.

http://www.fastwheels.ca/components/...5623f6ed95.jpg

You can try contacting them I suppose. www.fastwheels.ca
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ogc
17x9 FAST Evolutions.

Pure luck I found someone selling a set for an SS/SC, I test fitted them and they clear the front calipers with more room than the stockers.

I have tried looking for more for other people however it doesnt look like they make this wheel anymore, and it does not even show them making it with the right bolt pattern.

http://www.fastwheels.ca/components/...5623f6ed95.jpg

You can try contacting them I suppose. www.fastwheels.ca
I think my friend uses those as winter wheels... If I've got the wheel type correct, he had to use hefty spacers (against my recommendation). I'd look into the offset on those.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
ogc

Originally Posted by Force
I think my friend uses those as winter wheels... If I've got the wheel type correct, he had to use hefty spacers (against my recommendation). I'd look into the offset on those.
I test fitted them on the car as soon as I bought them, they went on perfectly.

The stamp on the rim says the offset is 42mm.

As I said, I cannot find anything on their website that says they ever made this wheel in this size. I dont know if they do custom stuff or what, but I have a set, and they fit beautifully
Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
was there a cute widdle blue IRL out there? on average when i go out to HPT i sit mid to low 1.40's around the track. which puts me out front of the t3 class cars. wheeeeeeeeeeee

if you can get a hold of a t3 lnf ecm, race tires, and rear sway bar. you'll have loads of fun
Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ogc

You can do the rim and tires but thats in from the stock class. you take a point for each. PITL normally has good events, Heck I won the series overall two years ago the only bad thing is the new lot that they use isn't very large two years ago they were still at the Bronte go station in Oakville and it was an awesome lot.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Next up is Shannonville (Solosprint) and then I want to try the Gymkhana event of the ATTS hosted by SPDA.

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16967
http://spda-online.ca/modules/newbb/...forumpost36040

Originally Posted by Area47
was there a cute widdle blue IRL out there? on average when i go out to HPT i sit mid to low 1.40's around the track. which puts me out front of the t3 class cars. wheeeeeeeeeeee

if you can get a hold of a t3 lnf ecm, race tires, and rear sway bar. you'll have loads of fun
For now I am pretty happy with the car stock, a rear swaybar might just ruin it for me IMO. 275 BFG R1's and a tune is in the works for next year.
How is your IT2's holding up on the track with your tune?

Last edited by venom09; 06-08-2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
ogc

Next up is Shannonville (Solosprint) and then I want to try the Gymkhana event of the ATTS hosted by SPDA.

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=16967
http://spda-online.ca/modules/newbb/...forumpost36040

For now I am pretty happy with the car stock, a rear swaybar might just ruin it for me IMO. 275 BFG R1's and a tune is in the works for next year.
How is your IT2's holding up on the track with your tune?
Apparently you need to do front bar as well.

I have noticed on some of the larger faster tracks (mosport and calabogie) the LSD really has a hard time on some of the corners.

The Koni guys say that if you replace the front bar with something stiffer it helps keep the front more planted and realllly helps out with power out of the corner.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ogc

I have noticed on some of the larger faster tracks (mosport and calabogie) the LSD really has a hard time on some of the corners.

The Koni guys say that if you replace the front bar with something stiffer it helps keep the front more planted and realllly helps out with power out of the corner.
No, I defenitely don't need a front swaybar at this point since it is still our daily driver and I really enjoy this "arive and drive" thing with this car. Plus it will make the understeer worse midcorner. Between track days we are getting great tire wear and a very decent ride. The Cobalt turns in pretty good and I had no problem putting the power down on DDT where wheelspin was always more of a problem for me unlike the more flowing Mosport GP, mind you I had to alter my driving style a little.

Like the Koni guys I wanted every last little speed out of a car and ended up with a race car on the street(referring to the Cobra offcourse). Been there, done that and I am NOT doing that again. Sure you can make anything go fast but sometime folks forget the most important mod, the DRIVER.

Last edited by venom09; 06-10-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ogc

Uh...A bigger front bar will cause more wheelspin out of corners...imo
Some fast FWD cars don't even use a FSB.
FM
Old 06-14-2009, 06:28 PM
ogc

Originally Posted by Fastmike
Uh...A bigger front bar will cause more wheelspin out of corners...imo
Some fast FWD cars don't even use a FSB.
FM
Again,

Just what I was told,

makes sense to me though, less body roll means that more weight will stay on the inside wheel.

Its weird though, when it happens to you, you will see what I mean.

Last edited by ogc; 06-14-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Cobalt did it AGAIN for me!!

Just came back from a 2 day weekend of racing on Shannonville, 4 runs Saturday and 4 runs Sunday and over 2 hrs of lapping/practice. That is 32 laps of competition and over 40laps of practice.

Cobalt ran VERY strong all weekend without a single problem and like before it was a weapon in its class.

Saturday: 4th place, I did not feel so good all day plus the pressure was getting to me so I made a lot of mistakes. I think the top 4 cars was only 0.2 secs apart in the end.

Sunday: 1st place, a good night sleep and a 6am walk on the track to clear my head was all I needed.

Will post pics/vids with results later, just wanted to share the great weekend first.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM

Again excellent results, and sounds like she's holding up well under the spirited driving . I've been keeping an eye on the schedule but June (and 3/4 of July) are packed with the usual birthdays, bachelor parties and weddings...oh the excitement I have to endure.

Congrats on the times and results ! Out of curiosity has the car done anything out of the ordinary during your runs like the video you posted during autocross a while ago...or is it performing without a hitch?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 PM

+1 precisely
While I am as guilty as anyone of hooning in a straight line in my 09 4dr that is NOT what this car is about as one Mustang Bullet, one BoxterS and one late 90's M3 have found out during some of my Farm to Market exploits on Sunday mornings in North Central Texas. Have yet to get it on a track but suffice to say this thing is just plain fast, not quick but fast, in the twisties.
Kudos to the lads in GM who set this thing up, the only thing that is "wrong" with it is FWD. Get to terms with that then pay the ridiculously low price for admission and go turn left and right with intent. For the money new there is nothing else out there.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
ogc

Congrats again,

I will be coming out to MIR on July 5th, hope to see you there.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
Congrats!
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Awesome to see another cobalt driver taking his car out on the track. I have had very similar experiences up here at Calabogie. What a fun car to throw around.
People under estimate how wicked these little cars are out on the track. Your right, many people here are into street "roll" racing and 1/4 times. Nothing wrong with the 1/4 at all, its just this car has plenty more to offer.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dww257
+1 precisely
While I am as guilty as anyone of hooning in a straight line in my 09 4dr that is NOT what this car is about as one Mustang Bullet, one BoxterS and one late 90's M3 have found out during some of my Farm to Market exploits on Sunday mornings in North Central Texas. Have yet to get it on a track but suffice to say this thing is just plain fast, not quick but fast, in the twisties.
Kudos to the lads in GM who set this thing up, the only thing that is "wrong" with it is FWD. Get to terms with that then pay the ridiculously low price for admission and go turn left and right with intent. For the money new there is nothing else out there.
You are absolutely right, front drive has it's limitations and take some time to get use to. I still miss the "fun" factor of my rear drive SGT1 03 Cobra, but the laptimes do not lie! This little Cobalt (stock) is the fastest front drive car I have ever driven on a roadcoarse.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
ogc

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
Awesome to see another cobalt driver taking his car out on the track. I have had very similar experiences up here at Calabogie. What a fun car to throw around.
People under estimate how wicked these little cars are out on the track. Your right, many people here are into street "roll" racing and 1/4 times. Nothing wrong with the 1/4 at all, its just this car has plenty more to offer.

Calabogie, is such an awesome course.

I am incredibly jealous if you live close to it.

I need to make another trip up there before the end of the season, as I cant get it out of my mind.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Again excellent results, and sounds like she's holding up well under the spirited driving . I've been keeping an eye on the schedule but June (and 3/4 of July) are packed with the usual birthdays, bachelor parties and weddings...oh the excitement I have to endure.

Congrats on the times and results ! Out of curiosity has the car done anything out of the ordinary during your runs like the video you posted during autocross a while ago...or is it performing without a hitch?
The only thing besides from being too fast (more on that later) is that it threw a code last time out. P300,303 and 304, 25 misfires on 3 and 42 misfires on 4 at 110km/h according to the print out. The dealer checked it out but could not find anything wrong and just cleared it under warrenty.

I am taking the wife for the WOSCA charity event this Sundat JUne 21 at the GM lot on Oxford st. You have to come out and play...
http://www.wosca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735

Thanks buddy.

Originally Posted by ogc
Congrats again,

I will be coming out to MIR on July 5th, hope to see you there.
I am paid up and registered for Events 5 & 6 on Mosport GP, so yes I will see you there for sure. Will you be on street tires or R Comps and did you register for the Saturday School (highly recomended) also?

Last edited by venom09; 06-17-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-17-2009, 01:26 PM
ogc

I am paid up and registered for Events 5 & 6 on Mosport GP, so yes I will see you there for sure. Will you be on street tires or R Comps and did you register for the Saturday School (highly recomended) also?
Well I am planning on running R comps, and I thought about trying out these sway bars I was recommended, which according to the rules will bump me to exactly 79.9 on the PI.

(Are they thinking about reclassifying this car?)

I am also planning on doing both days as I only have one lapping day under my belt on the big track there. Getting a day in ahead of the event would definitely be beneficial.

Quick Reply: On a serious note! Please read...