Canadian Mid East Nunavut, Manitoba, Ontario

Manitoba SS's 2011 Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p.s I also bought HPTuners this weekend.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Used it yet?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 PM

No. Its being shipped out next weekend from calgary.

Also seems like we may have found the problem with Mike's tune.

Apparently the GMS3 tunes have 93 octane on board. Obviously in Winnipeg we have no such thing (not true, 93 octane like our southern brethern get)

We are data logging llater tonight to find out for sure. Could be a hanful of things. I am going to put my chips on 93 octane.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Dump a little nos energy drink in the ga tank. Good to go.

Get it just to learn hpt? Or so you can tune others and yourself?
Gonna get the trifecta tune you can edit yourself?

Last edited by slapbetcommissioner; 07-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Lol. Only works on bike motors
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Projekt
Lol. Only works on bike motors
Lol.
Sounds like someone needs meth...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM

the drug.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Oh and I ninja edited last post lol. Must have been after you replied
Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM

And yes. The drug.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 PM

mmm meth
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No. Its being shipped out next weekend from calgary.

Apparently the GMS3 tunes have 93 octane on board. Obviously in Winnipeg we have no such thing (not true, 93 octane like our southern brethern get)

We are data logging llater tonight to find out for sure. Could be a hanful of things. I am going to put my chips on 93 octane.
Well gimme your chips seeing vince is saying otherwise below is the cut and paste from the email.
Now keep in mind I have never seen 200*F on my interceptor. However turns out my IC pump wasnt working right for and unknown time but it is working now. So b4 IC pump was fixed the most i ever saw was 180ish, now during hard pulls i see between 160 -170. Calling out for help.

Keep in mind I am not bashing Vince I am just try to figure **** out. I have no reason to doubt Vince or Trifecta.

Some questions:
1. My interceptor is off Andy's 06 balt so is there a difference between the interceptors for 06 and 07 balts?
2. What should I look for with my H/E system I have the ZZP H/E going out to the pump and in from the stock I/C
3.Thoughts?

Here is the email:

There’s something wrong with this car, and it isn’t tuning related.

The AFR is good.

I do see the burst knock, but with the levels of timing it has retarded to, it shouldn’t be knocking at all, so it is either caused by the almost 200*F intake air temperatures (the heat exchanger system has to be completely failed for temperatures to get this high), or it is false knock (e.g. there’s solid mounts installed or some other mechanical noise coming from the engine).

Please have the customer fix the heat exchanger problem, re-datalog it, and we’ll take it from there.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by yellow dragon
Well gimme your chips seeing vince is saying otherwise below is the cut and paste from the email.
Now keep in mind I have never seen 200*F on my interceptor. However turns out my IC pump wasnt working right for and unknown time but it is working now. So b4 IC pump was fixed the most i ever saw was 180ish, now during hard pulls i see between 160 -170. Calling out for help.

Keep in mind I am not bashing Vince I am just try to figure **** out. I have no reason to doubt Vince or Trifecta.

Some questions:
1. My interceptor is off Andy's 06 balt so is there a difference between the interceptors for 06 and 07 balts?
2. What should I look for with my H/E system I have the ZZP H/E going out to the pump and in from the stock I/C
3.Thoughts?

Here is the email:

There’s something wrong with this car, and it isn’t tuning related.

The AFR is good.

I do see the burst knock, but with the levels of timing it has retarded to, it shouldn’t be knocking at all, so it is either caused by the almost 200*F intake air temperatures (the heat exchanger system has to be completely failed for temperatures to get this high), or it is false knock (e.g. there’s solid mounts installed or some other mechanical noise coming from the engine).

Please have the customer fix the heat exchanger problem, re-datalog it, and we’ll take it from there.

I'd really like to find out as well.

From the LSJ people i talked to they said 161 IAT2'S for a ambiant air temp of 70-80F is still high.

I personally do not know if the aeroforce scan gauge can read progresive IAT2 temps. I know when i had mine i never saw it move up during pulls more then a few degrees (granted i know i am turbocharged)

Maybe the gauges can not read peak IAT2 temps quick enough?

Also i was thinking well i am at work here, I remember you saying you did not incounter this problem before we tuned it. Well my thoughts on that is because the timing was not increased (as well as other things) which is why you would not have been generating lots of heat (and obviously timing) If that makes any sense.

I mean i dont know what we do from here. We can put a stock tune back on for the time being. Maybe get someone down who knows what to look for? Dustin ect?

Ill keep you posted Mike. I am leaving for Calgary on thursday returning sunday, however i have already infromed a friend of mine who is fimilar with trifecta/vince about the situation and filled him in on the emails. So if we figure a solution out well i am out of town he will be able to flash/data log you.

I am doing everything in my power to help you Mike. If i was mechanically more inclined i would come over and take a look at your HE/IC pump myself, but i like you have zero idea what i'd be looking for.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
With my OTTP stage 2, no cooling mods and canned tune after a pull my IAT's were 150-160. NO knock... Not even a little. Running meth my IAT's are 120-130 after a pull, running 25* of timing. No knock. Vince says Mikes IAT's are hitting 200* but his interceptor is saying 160ish. Something isn't adding up. And Mike I definitely don't mind coming and checking out your car if you like to make sure all the basic stuff is in check.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Apparently the GMS3 tunes have 93 octane on board. Obviously in Winnipeg we have no such thing (not true, 93 octane like our southern brethern get) ...
um, to the best of my knowledge the '93' octane rating that's alluded to is the premium blend gas that has ethanol in it (exactly like what Husky/Mowhawk have btw);
In the US most states have laws requiring ethanol in gasoline ~ so I'm pretty sure the number 93 is in reference to the fact that in most states one cannot get 'premium' ethanol-free gas (aka: our 91 octane)

Also, ethanol blended gases do have different burn characteristics, although I have come to understand that turbo cars like the 93, most other parties experience that their cars run better on the 91 octane because of the better burning characteristics of ethanol-free gasoline...

could it be the OE GM stage1/2 injectors versus the #60 aftermarket injectors are making the car run significantly rich?
the 2.8 versus 2.9 would see more air being introduced to the mixture, but if the tune is being run under the premise of #42 injectors - which apparently are maxed out to the (overclocked*) #58-60 threshold in the tune...
(* = rail side pressure significantly increased; lending to fuel flow capabilities exceeding the injectors standard duty cycle rating)

I had very recently thought the GMS3 had different 60lb injectors, but was corrected, into understanding that the #58-60 rate mentioned was in fact the injector being overclocked...

Jordan - did you specify an HPT readable version of the Trifecta-stage3?

EDIT:
scratch that;
I missed post #686

either way ti wasn't gas... which is what my long winded post was all about.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 AM

You can try to increase the rate at which the interceptor reads the data? Maybe it is spiking to 200 but your not seeing it because it only refreshes every little bit?

I can't see tuning Software reading differently than an interceptor because they both use the PCM to collect sensor info...

How often was it hitting 200 iat? Was it just a really short spike or was it extended?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
With my OTTP stage 2, no cooling mods and canned tune after a pull my IAT's were 150-160. NO knock... Not even a little. Running meth my IAT's are 120-130 after a pull, running 25* of timing. No knock. Vince says Mikes IAT's are hitting 200* but his interceptor is saying 160ish. Something isn't adding up. And Mike I definitely don't mind coming and checking out your car if you like to make sure all the basic stuff is in check.
Mike has cooling mods however. So it still does not explain hittin 161*F iat2 temps.

Not to mention it has to do with ambiant air temps.

Last night was sitting at a crisp 70*f when we did our pulls.

I am not saying anyone is wrong here. I personally do not know for myself. All i am saying is investigate the issue. If it returns with nothing wrong then we need to look into further options.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Okay Mike. I asked around and there is one thing you can check for.

Take a look at your coolant lines and make sure there is no air pockets in them. That will cause your coolant to not flow and cause the higher tempatures.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Mike has cooling mods however. So it still does not explain hittin 161*F iat2 temps.

Not to mention it has to do with ambiant air temps.

Last night was sitting at a crisp 70*f when we did our pulls.

I am not saying anyone is wrong here. I personally do not know for myself. All i am saying is investigate the issue. If it returns with nothing wrong then we need to look into further options.
Hey man, like I mentioned in the other thread check his cooling system for trapped air. You mentioned he recently installed a new pump. He may have trapped air in the system when he filled it back up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Hey man, like I mentioned in the other thread check his cooling system for trapped air. You mentioned he recently installed a new pump. He may have trapped air in the system when he filled it back up.
Aye. Thank you sir for all the advice. Mike if you have any questions feel free to ask him. He has been very informative to myself anyways. I am sure he would not mind answering any questions.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Aye. Thank you sir for all the advice. Mike if you have any questions feel free to ask him. He has been very informative to myself anyways. I am sure he would not mind answering any questions.
No problem. I will try to answer the questions to the best of my knowledge.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by soundjunky
um, to the best of my knowledge the '93' octane rating that's alluded to is the premium blend gas that has ethanol in it (exactly like what Husky/Mowhawk have btw);
In the US most states have laws requiring ethanol in gasoline ~ so I'm pretty sure the number 93 is in reference to the fact that in most states one cannot get 'premium' ethanol-free gas (aka: our 91 octane)

Also, ethanol blended gases do have different burn characteristics, although I have come to understand that turbo cars like the 93, most other parties experience that their cars run better on the 91 octane because of the better burning characteristics of ethanol-free gasoline...

could it be the OE GM stage1/2 injectors versus the #60 aftermarket injectors are making the car run significantly rich?
the 2.8 versus 2.9 would see more air being introduced to the mixture, but if the tune is being run under the premise of #42 injectors - which apparently are maxed out to the (overclocked*) #58-60 threshold in the tune...
(* = rail side pressure significantly increased; lending to fuel flow capabilities exceeding the injectors standard duty cycle rating)

I had very recently thought the GMS3 had different 60lb injectors, but was corrected, into understanding that the #58-60 rate mentioned was in fact the injector being overclocked...

Jordan - did you specify an HPT readable version of the Trifecta-stage3?

EDIT:
scratch that;
I missed post #686

either way ti wasn't gas... which is what my long winded post was all about.
While this is a very imformative post I need to add about the GMS3 base tune....

Vince at Trifecta uses the same exact tune found on the GMS3 PCM from GM Racing as a base file. That being said the GMS3 tune requires 93 octane fuel not just premium fuel. I know a few other people that run 91 octane with a GMS3 tune and wondered why they had knock from time to time. Now, since Vince can adjust the GMS3 tune to meet any combination of mods, he should be able to tune for the fuel you have/use by adjusting the timing and so forth. The car in question is experiencing high IAT2's which we now know for sure, and that is more than likely his cause for the KR. I'm boggled on how the interceptor is not picking up the correct IAT2 reading, but anything is possible.

Can Vince send a read out of the logs he takes from the car?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
While this is a very imformative post I need to add about the GMS3 base tune....

Vince at Trifecta uses the same exact tune found on the GMS3 PCM from GM Racing as a base file. That being said the GMS3 tune requires 93 octane fuel not just premium fuel. I know a few other people that run 91 octane with a GMS3 tune and wondered why they had knock from time to time. Now, since Vince can adjust the GMS3 tune to meet any combination of mods, he should be able to tune for the fuel you have/use by adjusting the timing and so forth. The car in question is experiencing high IAT2's which we now know for sure, and that is more than likely his cause for the KR. I'm boggled on how the interceptor is not picking up the correct IAT2 reading, but anything is possible.

Can Vince send a read out of the logs he takes from the car?
To my understanding, because he runs a open source. He can not. There is a program one can purchase to view it but it is expensive.

I am pretty sure he can convert it to a HPT file and from there you can view them. However that requires HPT, which i will have in my possesion in a week or two.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

To my understanding, because he runs a open source. He can not. There is a program one can purchase to view it but it is expensive.

I am pretty sure he can convert it to a HPT file and from there you can view them. However that requires HPT, which i will have in my possesion in a week or two.
When you pick up HPT post a screen shot if you can.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Gonna do the bleeding today. I think that may be part of the issue for sure.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by yellow dragon
Gonna do the bleeding today. I think that may be part of the issue for sure.
Let me know how you make out.

Quick Reply: Manitoba SS's 2011 Thread!