Canadian North East Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia

Newfoundland dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newfoundland dealer rant

i live in central newfoundland and take my car to gander to a GM dealer to get all my work done, but i honestly do not trust them anymore. 3 times in the shop to fix one problem each time they bolted on a different part and after the mechanic had taken it for a test drive each time they had told me there is no more noise in the front end, when there was each time.
after fixing up at the service desk each time to go home in my car i would drive across the parking lot and hear the noise each time, then i would go back, the head mechanic at the dealer(which was not the one who did the work either of the times) would come out and hear it. so who's working on my vehicle? the guy working in the wash bay? why couldnt the mechanic working on my car hear anything? he knew what he was going out to listen for.

but this isnt the best part. the very first time i had my car in i was killing time so i went over to the parts counter. so i was talking to two guys there and i asked them for a price on a part. i said its "a Stage 2 kit" for a cobalt ss. one of the guys looked at me and said "whaaa? a stage 2 kit?" i said "yeah, for a supercharged car, the undersized pulley and different injectors etc." he looked at me and said "i can sell ya a supercharger!" and i was looking at him like he had 10 heads and said "its already supercharged" and he looked at me and said "well what do you want anymore then that for if its already supercharged" so i said bye and walked away.
i kinda figured id give them the benefit of the doubt because there isnt very many supercharged cobalts around here so i had a good laugh with my friend about it but pretty well brushed it off and went on.

so 3 trips back to gander and a angry me later. car comes in for more front end parts, they do work, i take it, still noise, goes back in garage again for the rest of day(apt at 9:30 in the morning, car was finished at 4:30 in the evening..) killing time again i was thinking i should pick up some supercharger oil and do some preventative maintenance. to the parts counter again.
"im looking for a couple bottles of supercharger oil" (different guy) says "never heard of it before" a bit puzzled i said " never heard of it before? theres oil in a supercharger?". "never heard of it or sold it before, what kind of car is it?" so i told him that and he went in on the computer. " that just uses a delco antifreeze" i said "WHAT! your telling my to put anti freeze in my supercharger?" "thats what it says here, for supercharger, intercooler.... blah blah blah to use delco antifreeze." i said. " i have seen the bottles of gm supercharger oil before, and your telling me its suppose to take antifreeze" " thats what it says here" he said. i looked at him and said yeah, we"ll see about that.

sorry if it seems confusing. but i cant believe the show this dealer is running. my car will never see the inside of the shop in that place again. and anyone from any part of newfoundland knows the name of the dealer because its the same right across the island. i think its rediculous. im 100% dissatisfied
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 PM

lol what a bunch of morons. I hope your not paying them.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM

sadly i had to pay $100 bucks for my protection plan deductible. but they tried to charge me the 100 bucks each time i brought the car in, i lost my mind at them. and said im paying this f-ing money once for you to fix my car and only once. the service girl wasn't very long getting my deductible waved after that.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM

I asked my dealer about a dual pass end plate and install just for fun. I even had part numbers. After about 15 min the service writer came back with "Well, we can find the part number but none of the guys know what it is. What does it do?" After a brief explanation he says "Well if it changes it from stock, you don't need it." I know that SS's represent a small proportion of Cobalts, but you'd think GM would have covered them a bit better in their parts listings and labor guides. I've asked about the SC oil change interval at 2 different dealers 3 or 4 different times and gotten wildly different answers.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Russell, I know the manager of that dealer. He was an old friend of my dads. I don't really want to release his name here, but I don't think he would let an unsatisfied customer walk away like that without knowing. Sadly, this is the case everywhere in newfoundland. I have had a few run ins with the gm dealer in carbonear too. I find all they do is trial and error, instead of carefully checking the problem, and finding the correct solution straight away. They always look at me funny when I tell them exactly which part is gone from my own inspection and research on the internet because I am 17. Ill give my dealer the benefit of the doubt, the parts guy does know what he is talking about. I know this shouldn't be the solution, but maybe the dealer in St.Johns is your best bet, because they probably see more supercharged cobalts than that of any other dealer on the island.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM

what parts did they replace ? im from Twillingate but i live in st.johns and the dealer here is fine.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM

rogersj, ill get my work order out of my car tomorrow and tell you what they replaced. and pattyjack thats all it is, is trial and error is all they done. the very first part they bolted on did nothing, and i mean jack **** nothing so i went back and without even looking at my car again the mechanic ordered more parts. so i waited. parts came in a week later, or so i thought. comes in " oh only one of your parts came in so we can only do one side today" thats great take time out of my day to bring it in to only hear it has to come again. so they done that work and i went on, knowing the noise was still going to be there and it was. the next freaking day they call me and tell me the other part is in. so why couldnt they wait for all the parts to be in? a pile of bull.
so i took it in yesterday, figuring i would finally get this solved. gets the work done blah blah takes the car out. (i will admit, they knocked most of the noise out, but not all) they takes it back in and looks it all over and hours later the service clerk comes out to the waiting room and says they looked everything over checked everything and the only thing it can be is the struts and mounts and there not covered under your warranty, would you like me to order them? aw how much? oh the strut is only 250 and the mount is 150... :| so my buddy looks at her and says. so because you cant find the problem your guessing thats what it is? she said no no no they checked everything else thats the only thing it can be. and im there thinking. my car isnt one bit "springy" in the front. how in the world can they say my struts are gone? struts dont make noise, the mounts do? so why do my struts need to be changed? so they can make a extra few dollars?
so thats how they tried to shut me up in the end, its a problem thats not covered, and it will not be going in there to be fixed.

from now on my car will be going to clarenville, there 2 or 3 Cobalt ss supercharged out there so hopefully they know a little.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shitty deal man!!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM

yeah lol i don`t like to bring my car to gander but when i do i tell them whats wrong and what needs to be done and i always look over there work after haha
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
sounds rough.

regarding the part people not knowing about parts for the SS/SC's, you do realize of course that there actually was NO marketing for the level IV cars in Canada right??

You'ld be best off buying a GM Performance Parts Catalog, and taking it in with you;
since they're GM parts, they have instructions that they should be able to access via techline, and going in with the catalog will hopefully avoid any 'deer-in-your-headlights' stares...

regarding the supercharger oil;
you should have corrected the guy right when he said the word "intercoler" (as in interrupted him), and explained that this is is oil that GM installs at the factory to lubricate the supercharger's internal - and it has nothign to do with cooling...
yes there are stupid people everywhere.

The oil part number would be in with the service book, or accessible via the techline if the parts guy cannot find it.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM

where can i get my hands on a catalog? will parts for my 07 still be in a 2011 book?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by russell10x
where can i get my hands on a catalog? will parts for my 07 still be in a 2011 book?
Yes there will be, the catalogs have a varied selection of part for engines going back some fourty years...

if local parts departments don't have them in stock, you could try CED;

printed 2009/2010 catalogs:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...anuals-C6.aspx

or you can get either the 2011 in print form, or downloaded from here;
Auto Parts Catalog - Racing Parts Catalog | GM Performance Parts

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rogersj
what parts did they replace ? im from Twillingate but i live in st.johns and the dealer here is fine.

i have had nothing but trouble from them here in town. from now on what ever got to be done i'll do it myself and learn as I go if i have to.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 AM

you aitn alone. i actually do not take my care to the local gm dealer anymore. i had to explain to them what a stage 2 kit was. and the whole time he was looking at the parts number on the computer saying that he didn't think there was such a thing as stage kits for the cobalt. i actually go to a gm dealer down the road about 35-40 minutes. the mechanic that words on my car owned one as well. and knows all the parts and where to look them up in the computer system. much happier at the new place then my local gm dealer.

/end rant