Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Why I chose Powell Stage 1 after I already bought OTTP Stage 1

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Why I chose Powell Stage 1 after I already bought OTTP Stage 1

As an LSJ owner since June of 2007, I have learned to deal with wheel hop by simply not pressing the gas pedal as hard as I would like. However, with the release of new things like rotated mounts, I decided to give OTTP a try despite their negative reputation. OTTP was having a sale so I decided to go with their rotated mounts, and also purchased the ingalls stiffy from them to further stiffen things up.

The part arrives, and it looks nice. However, when I went to install it, the two bushings that came with it were approximately .5” too big. I measured the stock front mount and then the OTTP mount with the spacers, and it too came out to be about .5” too wide. I emailed OTTP and was asked to provide pictures, so I did. Apparently this wasn’t good enough and I was basically told that nobody had experienced this problem and that I was on my own. So what I did was grind down the two included spacers until they were about .250” wide and then installed the part onto my car. It worked, and the car didn’t even hop in the rain, but in the end I still wasn’t happy and wanted something that wasn't butchered. In short, this OTTP mount really pissed me off.

I was in contact with John Powell about this since I know he is familiar with these cars and asked him what he thought about this. OTTP actually changed bushings but neglected to factor in the bushing width with their "R&D." I GUARANTEE you others are going to have this problem. He recommended that I go with his product and I was sold because Powell legitimately trial fits every run of these mounts that they do. OTTP didn't trial fit jack **** and it shows when I went to spend the time to install their parts. I even removed the Ingalls Stiffy because I refuse to have any part sold or made by OTTP on my car. So look for a FS thread coming up shortly, lol. Here are some pictures of how dumpy the OTTP mount really is when compared to the Powell one:

This shouldn’t have had to been done. Again, the part worked as advertised, but I will not have this company’s product on my car.

So what about the Powell mount? Not only is it nicely powdercoated, but it fits like a glove.

Cliffs: OTTP Stage 1 requires modification to fit, their customer service gives me the almost expected runaround. Powell mount fits like a glove, John is more than helpful when it comes to help with these cars.
Powell: 1
OTTP: 0

Last edited by chris88z24; 11-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didnt OTTP copy off of most of powell's designs too?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM

I'm sure John will clarify, but I know OTTP and Powell had a deal WAY BACK where Powell made a few parts for OTTP. This is no longer the case (and you can probably guess why!).

The OTTP mount is clearly different than the Powell one. The black Powell mount seems way sturdier and is made out of jigged steel rather than alloy.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be happy to know I'm on original Powell mounts from January 2009. No rips in bushings, no problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Nice. That LNF rear really helped though, the stock LSJ rear mount at 80k was like playing with a bungee cord.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Nice honest comparison. Good choice
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24
As an LSJ owner since June of 2007, I have learned to deal with wheel hop by simply not pressing the gas pedal as hard as I would like. However, with the release of new things like rotated mounts, I decided to give OTTP a try despite their negative reputation. OTTP was having a sale so I decided to go with their rotated mounts, and also purchased the ingalls stiffy from them to further stiffen things up.

The part arrives, and it looks nice. However, when I went to install it, the two bushings that came with it were approximately .5” too big. I measured the stock front mount and then the OTTP mount with the spacers, and it too came out to be about .5” too wide. I emailed OTTP and was asked to provide pictures, so I did. Apparently this wasn’t good enough and I was basically told that nobody had experienced this problem and that I was on my own. So what I did was grind down the two included spacers until they were about .250” wide and then installed the part onto my car. It worked, and the car didn’t even hop in the rain, but in the end I still wasn’t happy and wanted something that wasn't butchered. In short, this OTTP mount really pissed me off.

I was in contact with John Powell about this since I know he is familiar with these cars and asked him what he thought about this. OTTP actually changed bushings but neglected to factor in the bushing width with their "R&D." I GUARANTEE you others are going to have this problem. He recommended that I go with his product and I was sold because Powell legitimately trial fits every run of these mounts that they do. OTTP didn't trial fit jack **** and it shows when I went to spend the time to install their parts. I even removed the Ingalls Stiffy because I refuse to have any part sold or made by OTTP on my car. So look for a FS thread coming up shortly, lol. Here are some pictures of how dumpy the OTTP mount really is when compared to the Powell one:

This shouldn’t have had to been done. Again, the part worked as advertised, but I will not have this company’s product on my car.

So what about the Powell mount? Not only is it nicely powdercoated, but it fits like a glove.

Cliffs: OTTP Stage 1 requires modification to fit, their customer service gives me the almost expected runaround. Powell mount fits like a glove, John is more than helpful when it comes to help with these cars.
You did email pictures and you claimed the bushing was too big. At the time we only shipped one kind of bushing and they worked in all the other cars. The pictures you sent are attached to this reply. I couldn't tell what was going on from the pictures so I asked for better ones repeatedly. I never got them. I also never told you that you were on your own, just asked for pictures to see what we could do to fix the problem.

Lets see how customer service was on this one...

These conversations took place at 10-11pm, way past working hours but I was still there to help you.

You were given a 10% discount on your order.

Your order was shipped 20 mins after you placed it and was delivered 2 days later.

The truth is that before you came to me you had already talked to powell and you wanted to return the used mount, because you wanted theirs instead. The proof is in the time stamps of when you posted on the forum. You even asked to change your order via pm but it had already shipped.

Last question - Can you give me the dimensions of the spacers used for the front mount?

Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
You have to send me pictures so I know what is wrong. Otherwise I can't be much help.

Josh

Can you at least send me the correct size spacers? I had to serously take out a prybar and wedge the second spacer in there, there's no way that is right. It was off by almost a half inch.

You can't return it once it's used. If it has a manufacturing defect we will replace or repair it.
Can I return the front mount? I'm really unhappy with it and I think I'm just going to rock the Ingalls instead.

Send some pictures to me. sales@ottperformance.com I will let you know what I think.

Josh,

Did you change the insert design on your front mount? I think the spacers you gave me are too big - I had to fight and literally bend my cradle mount to get the thing to fit. I can tell it isn't right because the car vibrates like it has solid mounts.

Can you help me with this? I could really only fit one spacer between the rubber bushing and the cradle bracket. Looks like there needs to be two .250" spacers instead of the .5" you gave me.

YO yo yo yo,

I want to upgrade my SHITTY stock mounts, and I was thinking of going this route:

1. Ingalls Torque Dampener
2. Stage 1 OTTP rotated mounts (sub 300whp)

Thoughts?

-Chris
That's a decent setup. I'm sure it won't disappoint you.

Josh
I thought so too. I just noticed through the thread how you mention overstock on some items, and that you need to get rid of some too. Can you offer any incentives on those parts aside from the listed prices on your site?

I wanted a set of base shifter bushings too.

Let me know. Thanks!
$245 plus shipping for all three. Stage 1 mount, ingalls, and sbb.

Josh
Do you have any birthday sales? lol
Sorry boss that's already 10 percent off. We don't make a lot of money on the things you want so that's the best I can do.

Josh
That's alright, I appreciate the discount already. How do I order?
Use your username here in the coupon code box. It will take the order down to $245

Josh
Josh,

Did you ship my package yet? If not, can I make a change? I want to remove the stage 1 rotated mount from my order.

Please advise.

Thanks!
Shipped and picked up by ups already. Sorry I'm so fast.

Josh
It's all good, I will give your mount a shot. Did you change them at all to help with the bushing issue? Just something I read... They seem sturdy, I bet people installed them wrong and put all the pressure on the rubber.
Some people did install them wrong. It is also other vendors that are taking a few incidents and trying to make it a big deal. We have only warrantied a handful of them, so I extended the warranty to 2 years on the bushing and lifetime on the aluminum. If after 2 years it goes bad we sell replacements for $6 a bushing. So they are cheap enough to repair.

Josh
I have more I can add, but I'm gunna save it for now.

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Nice honest comparison. Good choice
Honest really? You have seen the other thread, after reading this you will see that this man is dishonest. I think you should do the right thing and remove his posts.
Attached Thumbnails mountphoto2.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Thread Killer
Platinum Member

yea that pic looks like it was taken with a toaster.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like powells stuff but have nothing against ottp. Just never needed to purchase anything from them.

Last edited by 07MetallicSC; 11-16-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: useless bs as usual
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interesting
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM

I have ottps mounts, work great and easy to install, bought themabout 3 months ago.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM

I had to LOL @ the dishonest remark. Your mount DID NOT FIT and you were too clueless to even give me something as simple as a dimension. Go back to school and learn how to run a company before you waste anybody elses time with this ****.

I wanted to remove the mount from the order because I found out about the LNF rear mount working on the LSJ and was going to run that with the ingalls instead of your mount and the spacer. I talked to Powell after the fiasco with your trash.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by FrossB
yea that pic looks like it was taken with a toaster.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM

I have the same setup as you S1 and S2 OTTP mounts and a Ingals. I had 0 fitment issues. Just the expected extra vibrations, that comes with any mounts though. I have never had a problem with any vendor on here.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by duffman11
I have the same setup as you S1 and S2 OTTP mounts and a Ingals. I had 0 fitment issues. Just the expected extra vibrations, that comes with any mounts though. I have never had a problem with any vendor on here.
When did you buy them?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM

I'll give credit to OTTP for fast shipping and good communication skills, but the tolerances part of the mount needs to be fixed if it hasn't been done already. There is no way I am the only one who bought their mounts within the last month and had this problem.

Either that or they fixed the problem before anyone else bought them...
Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM

click
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my ottp mounts fit like a glove
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
lol if you decide to get rid of the ottp mounts let me know. ill take em off your hands =]
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

All you guys that say they fit fine, have you bought them within the last month like the OP is stating?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by chrgdG5
All you guys that say they fit fine, have you bought them within the last month like the OP is stating?
Of course not, if they did they would be having problems too.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

I bought ottp stage 1 tranny mount last year and mine didnt require any modification to fit and Iv not heard of any others having to mod the spacers for it to fit. I have no idea of what was said between u and ottp but me personally I would have just sent u new spacers for free to fix the problem.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

Of course not, if they did they would be having problems too.
this issue u claim about hearing about the bushing failures are more then a month old so its the bushing being changed if they where changed happen longer then a month ago.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
this issue u claim about hearing about the bushing failures are more then a month old so its the bushing being changed if they where changed happen longer then a month ago.
?

The issue is with the metal "spacers" being too big, not the bushing insert failing.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

^ either way whatever happen to u has been fixed since then i have the ottp mount since last year and it fit like a glove and iv had no problem.

Ps i just noticed what ottp said about u trying to return a used mount because u had decided to go woth powell instead, if ur gonna be dishonest with people dont waste our time making false claims about a product, jp1600 even stated he got his just few mounts ago and fit prefect, so do mine.

Last edited by Vander Nars; 11-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I chose Powell Stage 1 after I already bought OTTP Stage 1