Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Why I chose Powell Stage 1 after I already bought OTTP Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
Now we can see the root of the problem. He has been getting his info from you. Are you really so biased that it makes you blind? Look and the pictures as anyone can and you can tell he has the right parts.

Your other comments don't even warrant a response in this thread.
Time for you to look again OTT. YOu said it yourself, you sent the customer a different insert in the mount, with the old thicker spacers that went with the inserts you have been using that cost , according to you, less than ten dollars.

This was after you said you have made thousands of mounts and never had an issue

Your attitude is rude, and it shows in your customer complaints. A matter of public record.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got ottp stage 2 rotated mounts 2 years ago. They're sitting in my garage. Busted as of 6 months ago.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dart_SI
I got ottp stage 2 rotated mounts 2 years ago. They're sitting in my garage. Busted as of 6 months ago.
I also have the ottp stage 2 for over a year, but they seem fine, or at least I never checked them. What happened to yours?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering I will be buying mounts in the next couple weeks, this intrigues me
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08
Considering I will be buying mounts in the next couple weeks, this intrigues me
It intrigues me also i cant figure out how i manage to install these mounts twice without any of the op's problem, i am by no means good at working on cars but i can install bolt ons but i guess some people cant even do that.

Last edited by Vander Nars; 12-14-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Time for you to look again OTT. YOu said it yourself, you sent the customer a different insert in the mount, with the old thicker spacers that went with the inserts you have been using that cost , according to you, less than ten dollars.

This was after you said you have made thousands of mounts and never had an issue

Your attitude is rude, and it shows in your customer complaints. A matter of public record.
Somehow I missed this. Please quote where I said I sent him a different insert with the thick spacers.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
ive got the ottp mounts they fit fine
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM

me too
ottp S2
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor

you folks dont read. Let me summarize before I gtfo this deal
OP purchased mounts from a vendor, wrong spacers sent.
OP trusted they were right, found out they were not, after he pm'd me as he could get no answer from vendor
vendor denied they were wrong.
then vendor changed story after the fact
In the meantime the OP had gotten new mounts from me.

ALL you folks installing the vendors mounts, not ones made by me, may well run into issues with the inserts failing over time. The cheap ones do.
The dimensions may also cause issues in rotation over time. They are different.

Sucks when there are issues with a part and you as a purchaser are trying to contact the vendor and there is no reply.

Back in 2004 when I figured out the rotated mount deal, I got permission on behalf of GM from Grand Am racing, to have it allowed as an upgrade for 2005 on Cobalt Grand Am race cars. Thats a fact. They were not streetable, the inserts were composite and they vibrated like hell, so I made an insert version.

The first mounts I made and sold, like the ones Blazin07SS has, are still installed and still good. Since 2007 or so.
It is also clear to me that many people ignore the torque axis mount position when installing rotated mounts, and this can cause issues with vibration and insert failure as well. Some folks also install a sold torque axis mount on the passenger side, which can also lead to issues with rotated mounts. It is also clear that no matter how many times explanations are posted here and on other sites, these posts or threads get lost. Or folks dont bother to search.

Usual disclaimers.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

OP trusted they were right, found out they were not, after he pm'd me as he could get no answer from vendor

ALL you folks installing the vendors mounts, not ones made by me, may well run into issues with the inserts failing over time. The cheap ones do.

Sucks when there are issues with a part and you as a purchaser are trying to contact the vendor and there is no reply.

Back in 2004 when I figured out the rotated mount deal, I got permission on behalf of GM from Grand Am racing, to have it allowed as an upgrade for 2005 on Cobalt Grand Am race cars. Thats a fact. They were not streetable, the inserts were composite and they vibrated like hell, so I made an insert version.

The first mounts I made and sold, like the ones Blazin07SS has, are still installed and still good. Since 2007 or so.

Usual disclaimers.
Umm iv read this whole thread, op was asked for a clear pic of what the problem was and he sent a pic he took with his toaster that no one could see if anything was wrong. When he was asked for a better pic he failed to get josh a better pic. OP's answer is let someone else install it.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Former Vendor

I doubt, Vander, that you could install a mount with half inch too thick spacers. You would have to fix that, and ifyou dont have the machine tools to do it, the rectification might be ugly. My guess is, if you could not get hold of the vendor, to figure out why the parts were wrong you would get very mad.

A year or so ago, I had an issue with a ZZP part I was installing for a customer. It was made wrong. I got answers and a rectification within 8 hours.

I aspire to react as fast and as quickly when issues arise.

A person on here who purchasedYYZ springs had them stolen off his front porch. Even before UPS settled the claim, the purchaser had new springs in his hands.

Its all an issue of customer service for the most part. Telling the OP he is incapable of installing mounts doesnt help much.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

I doubt, Vander, that you could install a mount with half inch too thick spacers. You would have to fix that, and ifyou dont have the machine tools to do it, the rectification might be ugly. My guess is, if you could not get hold of the vendor, to figure out why the parts were wrong you would get very mad.

A year or so ago, I had an issue with a ZZP part I was installing for a customer. It was made wrong. I got answers and a rectification within 8 hours.

I aspire to react as fast and as quickly when issues arise.

A person on here who purchasedYYZ springs had them stolen off his front porch. Even before UPS settled the claim, the purchaser had new springs in his hands.

Its all an issue of customer service for the most part. Telling the OP he is incapable of installing mounts doesnt help much.
Problem is I don't believe that the op spacers where too thick, josh already show pms that op tried to cancel the order right after it was shipped to buy ur mounts, and then magically as in Pegasus himself had come down from the heaven, op has an issue with the spacers that no one else has ever had.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

It is also clear to me that many people ignore the torque axis mount position when installing rotated mounts, and this can cause issues with vibration and insert failure as well. Some folks also install a sold torque axis mount on the passenger side, which can also lead to issues with rotated mounts. It is also clear that no matter how many times explanations are posted here and on other sites, these posts or threads get lost. Or folks dont bother to search.

Usual disclaimers.
i did read the thread also im not taking any sides the pic the op sent did suck ball sack but this thread is kinda like the john powell zzp wars back in the day lol

did you ever get your website up mr powell
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
i did read the thread also im not taking any sides the pic the op sent did suck ball sack but this thread is kinda like the john powell zzp wars back in the day lol

did you ever get your website up mr powell
Its up, B.rad expects the commerce part to be working soon
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor

Seeing as my name is used in this thread, and OTTP did not invent or develop these mounts , I did, I will say this.
The ears on the typical Delta cradle for the front engine mount are 66.5 mm apart. The cheap really sad ex Vdub insert that OTT uses is roughly 40.8 mm wide at the center of the insert. The more expensive better made GM insert that I used initially and are still good in Blazin07SS'car in Florida, and in cars running around here, are 51.1 mm wide.

The outer diameter of the bushings is roughly the same, the cheap really sad ones are a white metal sleeve that is not truly round, and varies in diameter as the sleeve is such poor material. The GM one is steel material and is truly round and overall better made.

so you do the math, its easy to see what happened to the OP and its easy to see how he could get upset about the parts not working for him as the spacers were not correct.
I do say " thanks" to all our customers for considering or choosing genuine Powell hardcore race parts.
Thank you for the measurements. I'm going to convert them to inch's

Cradle ear opening: 66.5mm = 2.618"

VW aluminum bushing: 40.8mm = 1.606"

GM bushing: 51.1mm = 2.011"

Here are our measurments.

GM bushing: 2.005"

VW aluminum bushing: 1.609

Thick spacer: .500"

Thin spacer: .300"

So Chris88z24 clearly has the VW bushing with the aluminum center and he said his spacers are too thick. So he has the .500" thick spacers. He even mentions this in the private message I quoted on the first page. He clearly says the spacer I gave him are the .5" ones.

Here is the math for 2 spacers and one vw bushing.

.5+.5+1.609=2.609"

The cradle opening is 2.618" as John stated. As I have said all along the parts are correct, the proof is in the pictures.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM

I learn something new every time one of these threads pops up.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Might be something as simple as the tolerance on the vdub
Bushing. The bushing with the two spacers as measured by Josh is .009 smaller than specced. Josh says the spacers are machined and the fact the samples he tested are dead on means they are likely within spec. It wouldn't surprise me to find the bushing slightly oversize (but still with Vdub specs for the part) making it impossible to install.
Also could be the ears slightly underside from GM. Notice the GM bushing as measured is .006 under the specced size whereas the vdub bushing is .003 over speced size. .009 difference might not seem like much but it could explain why the op had the problem. Not sure if the op ever stated how much he had to take off to get them to fit.

Last edited by sLAsh; 12-14-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sLAsh
Might be something as simple as the tolerance on the vdub
Bushing. The bushing with the two spacers as measured by Josh is .009 smaller the the cradle space. Josh says the spacers are machined and the fact the samples he tested are dead on means they are likely within spec. It wouldn't surprise me to find the bushing slightly oversize (but still with Vdub specs for the part) making it impossible to install.
Also could be the ears slightly underside from GM. Notice the GM bushing as measured is .006 under the specced size whereas the vdub bushing is .003 over speced size. .009 difference might not seem like much but it could explain why the op had the problem. Not sure if the op ever stated how much he had to take off to get them to fit.
Both of the bushings have a spec of about .003" plus or minus. And there are differences in the cradle ears from car to car as well. So they are a snug fit with only .005"-.010" clearance, but they are designed to be that way. The op and Powell are saying they are about a .400" to tight of a fit. Which isn't possible as the pictures and the quotes tell a different story.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Go measure the width of the stock LSJ front mount and then the width of your setup with those 1/2" spacers and report back.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor

the cradle ears spacing and postion are the same for every Delta/Ion/Cobalt cradle plus or minus 2 mm regardless of transmission or engine configuration EXCEPT for 2004 Ion Redlines which are located differently.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stupid 04 Redline... makes buying parts a PITA!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Go measure the width of the stock LSJ front mount and then the width of your setup with those 1/2" spacers and report back.
uhhh still crying, its already been stated they fit are u blind?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by mkulrey13
Stupid 04 Redline... makes buying parts a PITA!
Red headed step child they are!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Red headed step child they are!

Different Parts, Different Paint then other years, No Boost gauge.. Like WTF
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor

Stock lnf front mount 2.602"

Quick Reply: Why I chose Powell Stage 1 after I already bought OTTP Stage 1