Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Auto to Manual Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to Manual Swap!

Hey everyone! I am going to need a new Automatic Transmission soon. But instead of getting another automatic, I want to swap to manual, now I have done some research already and here is the options that's I see. F23, F35, F35 from the ss/tc, and 6speed F40 from a 2.0t Saab. I know ZZP makes a conversion kit for the f40 now. Does anyone have any useful information or input on how I would go about doing this? I know I need the tranny, conversion kit if I get the f40, clutch pedal, and tune the tcm. What else do I need? Who has already swapped auto to manual? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
I dont think it has been done yet... I can see lots of wiring harnesses needing to be swapped, the shifter cables, the center console, i think the brake and clutch use the same system (i think) so that may need to be swapped... As well as the pedal set.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by riceburner
I dont think it has been done yet... I can see lots of wiring harnesses needing to be swapped, the shifter cables, the center console, i think the brake and clutch use the same system (i think) so that may need to be swapped... As well as the pedal set.
Yay lol the conversion kit comes with alot. Pretty much I need to make my car standard manual with like a f35 then I could swap to the f40 but I would like to skip the f35 and go straight to the f40 6speed
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 AM

No one has because it would cost nearly as much to just buy a car with the other transmission already installed. Save yourself the headache and money and just put in an auto. None of the transmission would bolt right in, neither would that saab thing. And the zzp conversion kit isn't to convert auto to manual on a cobalt. You'd also need the wiring, the computers, the sensors, the mounts, the ability to fabricate something to work together that ordinarily shouldn't, a clutch, the list goes on.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 AM

Just once, I'd like one of these threads to be somebody who actually has done it.

You basically need a donor car, mounts, axles, the whole 9 yards.

40 hours was the estimate from Maven, plus all the parts.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 AM

I'm willing to bet my ridiculous government salary that he will not swap his car to a manual transmission.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by redcobalt07
No one has because it would cost nearly as much to just buy a car with the other transmission already installed. Save yourself the headache and money and just put in an auto. None of the transmission would bolt right in, neither would that saab thing. And the zzp conversion kit isn't to convert auto to manual on a cobalt. You'd also need the wiring, the computers, the sensors, the mounts, the ability to fabricate something to work together that ordinarily shouldn't, a clutch, the list goes on.
I know that kit is just to swap the f35 to f40 and all of those trans that I listed WILL bolt right on because the bolt pattern is the exact same

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Just once, I'd like one of these threads to be somebody who actually has done it.

You basically need a donor car, mounts, axles, the whole 9 yards.

40 hours was the estimate from Maven, plus all the parts.
The. On conversion kit come with the axles and mounts. Obviously neither one of you have seen the kit on Zzp

Originally Posted by redcobalt07
I'm willing to bet my ridiculous government salary that he will not swap his car to a manual transmission.
And why don't you buy me a new car with your ridiculous salary?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It can be done but financially its just easier to get a sc or tc and swap all your parts onto that car.

You will need the ecm from the standard, harness cause the auto and manual are different and the manual has a gear selector sensor and reverse switch. The auto has an ecm for the tranny and well that has to be removed so the harness has to go as well.
You would need also:
Clutch pedal, cylinder, master brake cylinder, brake system swapped, then down to the hose, the slave cylinder to the manual, the manual f35 itself, you would need a different flywheel or have it redrilled to match the 8 bolt for the 6 bolt to the crank shaft, you could change the engine while you are at it. YOu would need to modify or buy mounts that for the manual tranny and the bolts to the cradle, I am sure there are quite a few more parts but this is just not worth the move.

not to mention a retune on the swapped ECM, and anything modified to work with your setup.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 AM

So straightforward...that absolutely ZERO css.net members have documented it.

Oh, and the ZZP F40 kit is missing a few parts you'll need.

Donor car. A metric shitload of wrenching. Easy.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt523
I know that kit is just to swap the f35 to f40 and all of those trans that I listed WILL bolt right on because the bolt pattern is the exact same

The. On conversion kit come with the axles and mounts. Obviously neither one of you have seen the kit on Zzp

And why don't you buy me a new car with your ridiculous salary?
the conversion kit doesn't come with enough, be honest, this a dream which is good to have, but be realistic unless you personally have the finances, knowledge and ability to do this yourself, it's unlikely you'll find a garage that is willing to try something that is both impractical and never been done and documented
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a 5 speed car with a blown motor, and start having fun of learning new cuss words you never even heard before come out of your mouth Or swap your motor and stuff onto the other car. itd be worth it, cause I can see getting a cobalt with a bad motor around 1k
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anything other than the F23 will not bolt right up. theres a reason no NA guys have an F35 with LSD...

the F23 would be the easiest swap. but as said above you shuld invest in a donor car, i would then drop both subframes nad put your motor on the 5 speed subframe and stuff it back in there. would be much easier than swapping out all of the mounts and shift indivdually. while the sub frame is out you can swap the ahrness and install the Master cylinders and lines.

I bought an 06 5 Speed for $500 with a Blown Mortor, they're out there!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cobalt523
Yay lol the conversion kit comes with alot. Pretty much I need to make my car standard manual with like a f35 then I could swap to the f40 but I would like to skip the f35 and go straight to the f40 6speed
I have done it on my 2006 cobalt lt took my like 8 hours and was driving it the only problem I had was the rev limiter but I got it off but it still doesn't want to rev right when I'm diving because it thinks it's a automatic still but other then that I drive it every day
Old 10-26-2019, 10:39 PM

Re

Originally Posted by Colin Walters
I have done it on my 2006 cobalt lt took my like 8 hours and was driving it the only problem I had was the rev limiter but I got it off but it still doesn't want to rev right when I'm diving because it thinks it's a automatic still but other then that I drive it every day
so what wiring harnesses did you have to change? Do I have to change both wiring harness connected to ecm?
Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 AM

Hey man don’t listen to them, I did this with a ****** RX-8, it was hell but if I could do it you can, just keep in mind it will be a lot of work and you’ll probably run into a lot of problems along the way. Factory manuals will help a lot.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin McNamara
so what wiring harnesses did you have to change? Do I have to change both wiring harness connected to ecm?
I used the factory computer and harness. Works great no issues
Old 03-30-2020, 06:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin McNamara
I used the factory computer and harness. Works great no issues