Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Auto swap into a SS/TC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkriebs
Wow. Glad I have been posting on the other forum. Too much B$ in this forum.

And i love people who keep secrets. Thats why this community is so far advanced! Go look at any other forum, and there are tons of people helping people. IDK whats so hard about that.

Marcus, I will do some more research and post up on the other forum!
Its TOP SECRETZ yo! Like the fate of national security rests on keeping it a secretz.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Apparently. Everyone wants to be the ******* fastest, at all costs. Sad to say, the fastest is in the 10's. Pretty lame feat to be keeping secrets about. When you hit the 8's, then you can keep some trade secrets.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why people are hesitant to give out info, is they spend alot of time/money & fabrication work to get something going, when the vast majority of people don't want to actually do any research for themselves. It's like studying your ass off in school, working hard all year, and then everyone else does nothing, but expects to copy your paper and get the same grade.

Trust me, the guys around here that know more than most would be more than willing to help out if you actually put the time in to think for yourself. But you can't blame them when someone who has no idea what they're doing (not talking about the op, just saying in general) asks for a handout, especially when it's something unique and very hard. Put in the time, read the books, learn about cars, and when you get stumped, ask up and you'll get some answers. But don't expect to reap the rewards of someone else's hard work without doing anything yourself.

I was one of the first to find out our 2.2's had air injection, and when I did, everyone told me I was an idiot. When I said it could be taken off and still run fine, again I was an idiot. But afterp utting in the time and research, what happened? Those same people that called me an idiot and said I had no idea what I was doing were sending pm's asking for help. Don't think so.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
The reason why people are hesitant to give out info, is they spend alot of time/money & fabrication work to get something going, when the vast majority of people don't want to actually do any research for themselves. It's like studying your ass off in school, working hard all year, and then everyone else does nothing, but expects to copy your paper and get the same grade.

Trust me, the guys around here that know more than most would be more than willing to help out if you actually put the time in to think for yourself. But you can't blame them when someone who has no idea what they're doing (not talking about the op, just saying in general) asks for a handout, especially when it's something unique and very hard. Put in the time, read the books, learn about cars, and when you get stumped, ask up and you'll get some answers. But don't expect to reap the rewards of someone else's hard work without doing anything yourself.

I was one of the first to find out our 2.2's had air injection, and when I did, everyone told me I was an idiot. When I said it could be taken off and still run fine, again I was an idiot. But afterp utting in the time and research, what happened? Those same people that called me an idiot and said I had no idea what I was doing were sending pm's asking for help. Don't think so.
and this is why css.net fails as a tuning community. When I joined evolutionm.net, one of my first threads was describing my goal of a powerful DD evo I want to build someday:

~500 awhp with a 9k redline

You know what happened after I posted that thread? Someone with the same exact build sent me a PM with what he has, what shops did all the fabrication, the price approximately, and his phone number if I had any questions. In addition to this, a local(ish) NY shop sent me a PM telling me they wanted to do the build for me. 99.9% of the members on there will bend over backwards to help you out.

No wonder the evo is one of the best tuners ever built. The community support and aftermarket support are bar none.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
um I've built many cars (cobalts for people), and helped out anyone that has ever asked. Never asked for anything in return, almost never even got a thanks from anyone, then people claim my work as theirs. What motivation is that for me to help out, plus I don't do this **** for a living. I would love to help out the community, but come on, >95% of the people on here aren't ever going to push the envelope with this car, they are a bunch of poor ass kids that can barely afford to pay their insurance. The reason this car hasn't advanced is because of this. Do you know how much r&d work goes in to releasing even just a turbo kit (well the right way anyway). Why would you spend countless hours and thousands of dollards to sell what, 15 kits. Look what happened with the TVS.
Even with the stuff I do for locals, I won't put anything on a car that hasn't at least been run a few hundred hours on my car just to make sure it's safe. and what do I charge for a tune? not even enough to cover the gas money I've gone through doing them.

I have no reason to post info, so I don't. Why does it matter to the people that are complaining, maybe 1 out of the 100 will actually do something worthwhile, and if I see that, I will help em.

and yes 10's is not fast, my cobalt was probably the slowest car I've owned in the 30+ I've had ove the years and mine was over 500whp at the end. **** my last daily driver was a 9 sec monte carlo I sold when I bought the cobalt, and hell my rx-7 is a 10 second car as it sits right now, and I barely did anything to it yet.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
um I've built many cars (cobalts for people), and helped out anyone that has ever asked. Never asked for anything in return, almost never even got a thanks from anyone, then people claim my work as theirs. What motivation is that for me to help out, plus I don't do this **** for a living. I would love to help out the community, but come on, >95% of the people on here aren't ever going to push the envelope with this car, they are a bunch of poor ass kids that can barely afford to pay their insurance. The reason this car hasn't advanced is because of this. Do you know how much r&d work goes in to releasing even just a turbo kit (well the right way anyway). Why would you spend countless hours and thousands of dollards to sell what, 15 kits. Look what happened with the TVS.
Even with the stuff I do for locals, I won't put anything on a car that hasn't at least been run a few hundred hours on my car just to make sure it's safe. and what do I charge for a tune? not even enough to cover the gas money I've gone through doing them.

I have no reason to post info, so I don't. Why does it matter to the people that are complaining, maybe 1 out of the 100 will actually do something worthwhile, and if I see that, I will help em.

and yes 10's is not fast, my cobalt was probably the slowest car I've owned in the 30+ I've had ove the years and mine was over 500whp at the end. **** my last daily driver was a 9 sec monte carlo I sold when I bought the cobalt, and hell my rx-7 is a 10 second car as it sits right now, and I barely did anything to it yet.
on the bright side good luck with your build! Marcus here will figure it out. Shoulda started with a 2.2. auto () Stiner wants to buy your bad ass M/T's btw so will email you tomorrow as I still want the sorry ass wheels
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
on the bright side good luck with your build! Marcus here will figure it out. Shoulda started with a 2.2. auto () Stiner wants to buy your bad ass M/T's btw so will email you tomorrow as I still want the sorry ass wheels

Funny you should say that... I was really looking into buying a 2.2 auto as the base to my project... I thought I would see what the options are with this car before I sold it... Also, stock ECU tunning is sort of crappy with the 2.2's and I need to keep an OBD port on the car for the class I plan to run in. (car must be "street legal" so I have to plug in for inspection)
Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by marcusicp
Funny you should say that... I was really looking into buying a 2.2 auto as the base to my project... I thought I would see what the options are with this car before I sold it... Also, stock ECU tunning is sort of crappy with the 2.2's and I need to keep an OBD port on the car for the class I plan to run in. (car must be "street legal" so I have to plug in for inspection)
ya good point i think you need LS1 Edit to do the job Its never simple....or cheap....
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t

This I understand. I don't think anyone here was asking for a handout. I know i certainly wasn't, and knowing marcus, he was not either. Simple things like, what parts he is using would be a good start. Just because someone puts in the time and money to figure something out, doesn't mean every person that wants to do the same should spend the same amount of money and time. Its a reciprocal favor, really. Granted, I know Paul knows alot about cars, and can probably figure out the answer to a problem before I could, so I won't be able to return the favor. But, I sure could give him mad props for helping us out.

I mean, writing an instruction manual, with part numbers and a parts list is obviously too much to ask for. Saying, "Well, it took this much machining, custom axles, this trans and this much labor" is not asking too much. Of course, he did spend HIS time on it, and its HIS choice to share or not. Were asking for simple things! Does a 4T65 bolt right up, do we need a custom bell housing? Thats a start! From there, I am sure I could handle the rest of the research, but since I neither own a tranmission shop, junkyard, or 3800 series GM car, I can't look at a 4T65 to see if it would. I don't have anything to get measurements from. If I did... I would walk out there right now, grab measurements and compare. You know what I mean, there is no need for me to keep rambling on.

And no, this is not bashing Paul as an individual. This is bashing the entire Cobalt community for being a secret hiding *****. That goes to ALOT of people on this site, that I will not go into detail on.

So, with that said. I am off to explore options. This is a mere roadblock in the Cobalt community. Roadblocks are often overcome, and none are too big to overcome. Its simply how much effort you want to put into it, to get the result you want. So, here's to 3 years of the LNF coming out, and no real progress on the platform. Congrats!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 AM

i was wondering if paul would pop in here.. i figured he'd wait till he was done.. and like others have said.. the secrecy is to cover our asses.. for alot of reasons.. if you do the research and you forget to mention something people will hold you responsible., secondly if you do the research and tell them exactly what to do .. and something goes wrong.. they don't know wtf is up.. so you get bugged all the time

proper research after given a basis of help will result in a better outcome everytime
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
i was wondering if paul would pop in here.. i figured he'd wait till he was done.. and like others have said.. the secrecy is to cover our asses.. for alot of reasons.. if you do the research and you forget to mention something people will hold you responsible., secondly if you do the research and tell them exactly what to do .. and something goes wrong.. they don't know wtf is up.. so you get bugged all the time

proper research after given a basis of help will result in a better outcome everytime
Yes, I just need that basis. The rest I can figure out. I have resources, just not QUITE enough to get it all. I just need the 4t65 dimensions, really.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 AM

As kyle said, I will be posting up once it's done, but it's not and there are still a few bugs to work out. Also I can't deal with the 50000000000000000000000000000 pm's a day I get on anything I post up. People need to start searching or reading what I do post up, all info is usally there. you gotta see some of the bullshit people ask me, it's ridiculous.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
i plan on running a 28 and that will carry me pleanty haha. though i'm probably not looking for the times you are
good luck fitting a 28" tire on a cobalt. That's going to be a lot more money than it's worth. And it'll just look stupid.

Originally Posted by rallyracer
Auto's should be banned from drag racing...if you want to be fast you better learn to shift fast.
wow, really? I think you ought to leave drag racing discussions to people that actually know what they are talking about.

just as an added note, there are people on here that help people out constantly and never ask for anything in return. And they get criticized by the people that like to keep secrets. Then there are the people that claim that they help people and "build engines" and really barely turn a wrench.

Just to toot my own horn, I took my engine out of my car with the help of 1 friend, tore it apart myself, paid for machine work to be done (head porting, valve springs installed) and then put everything back together with 1 friend, and put the engine in the car by myself all in my driveway with no lift and no garage. I also get people that email everyday asking questions ranging from cooling mods, slicks, exhaust setups, to head porting, etc.

Okay, I'm done tooting and throwing out useless info. Back to your regular schedule of bitchfest.

Last edited by ralliartist; 12-29-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM

The more I look into this the more I see that people really don't know much about these cars. I guess we just need to step up and take a chance and see what happenes....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM

The more I look into this the more I see that people really don't know much about these cars. I guess we just need to step up and take a chance and see what happenes....
knock yourself out. You were already going to try to begin with.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah, the more I see here the more I am discouraged from doing just that. Its truly sad how no one here wants to go fast. Guess thats what we get fro driving a cheap american econobox.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM

don't be discouraged.. the people that actually want to go fast.. do the research on their own to do it .. as well as get a bit of help from others
Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
don't be discouraged.. the people that actually want to go fast.. do the research on their own to do it .. as well as get a bit of help from others
Thats what I am trying to do, but you get the people that say its just retarded. I am sure there was plenty of hate when the Honda's started going fast, but damn... I doubt there was THIS much hate.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally think an auto trans would be a very worthwile mod. It will shift faster, launch harder, and hold boost better than a manual trans. Plus it's cheaper to fix if it breaks.

I thought there was a beefy auto trans out there for the ecotec engine?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 PM

you can modify a 4t65e or a 4t45e of course, or whatever trans I have that we put in (still not done lol). hell, what's a rebuild, a bunch of clutches and that's pretty much it. Can't wait to get this car all dialed in a back up to 28psi
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
I personally think an auto trans would be a very worthwile mod. It will shift faster, launch harder, and hold boost better than a manual trans. Plus it's cheaper to fix if it breaks.

I thought there was a beefy auto trans out there for the ecotec engine?
that was exactly wat i was gonna say lol
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, Ill just chime in with my thoughts on the subject for the OP.

Firstly the trans thats likely the best choice is the 4T45.

Its the only auto that will bolt to the ECO and to the Cobalt.

Any other trans (4T65,4T80, 6T45, 6T75) will either not bolt to the ECO (only the 6T45 does) or will not bolt into the Cobalt(none do) or worse wont fit without cutting the car

The 4T65 has alot higher capacity, but requires an adapter to fit the ECO, special torque converter(or adapter) and requires custom mounts and custom axles.

the 6speeds arent really even worth discussing, though if you search it has been before.

If you use a 4T45 plan on needing custom downpipe and charge piping, youll also need a different motor mount, youll need trans cooling, youll need shift cables, a shifter, a console trim plate, youll need axles, a flywheel

Youll either need to make the HHR electrical stuff work in the cobalt (not easy because of several reasons but chief among them is the difference in the vehicle harnesses) or youll need to run a standalone controller. One that can do the job all by itself isnt cheap or easy to setup properly, one that isnt expensive and is easy to use will make the car very unfun to drive everyday.

It would be much easier to pickup an NA auto car and build it. You should be able to find an auto car for under $5000 no problem
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Maven, since you have more experience with the Delta platform than 90% of us here. Does the HHR and the Cobalt have the same track dimensions? Basically, would HHR SS axles work from the auto trans to the Cobalt platform?

The mount would not be much of a problem, for anyone that has a machine shop available (may not be cheap, but it certainly isn't a problem), nor would the shift cables, trans cooling, shifter and trim piece, as I would assume most of those would be able to be had from an automatic trans equipped base Cobalt.

Next, the flywheel. Would this be able to be scavenged from a donor vehicle? Simply, my question would be, are the bolt patterns on all Ecotec cranks the same, where they bolt on the flywheel?

Lastly, with a fully built 4t45, what would you assume max power capability would be? This would take into consideration extra clutches, substantial cooling, modified valve body, modified TC, etc.

And, thank you in advance for any questions you can answer.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 AM

i just read all 5 pages cuz i'm bored, and wow... cool, an cobalt TC auto. do it up

I can't contribute anything to the thread because it is beyond my knowledge and current capabilities, but if this is your goal and you gain enough insight about what needs to be done and decide to green light the project, i wish you the best of luck

It will be pretty sweet when the 1-2 shift violently kicks in and sends you back in your seat while maintaining boost!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 AM

Thank you sir!

Also, I would like to add, I think we are making excellent progress at a very good rate. As long as I can confirm that all the 4t45's from Cobalts and HHR's are the same, and will bolt to the pattern the LNF bellhousing uses, then I might start compiling parts.

Thus far, I have been doing a bit of research on rebuilding. It looks as if the total cost to buy, and rebuild a trans for more power is about $2500, no labor included since i would be doing the work myself. The accessories that would go with it (controller, valve body, and torque converter) are also included in that cost, though axles, and mounts would not be. I think this would be a reasonable alternative to rebuilding, or replacing a broken F35.

Quick Reply: Auto swap into a SS/TC?