Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Clutch experts needed

Hello, here's my dilemma.

I finally got a trans that works properly in my car and now I need to figure out a solution to my clutch.

Before I replaced the trans I had many different issues with the trans but one of them was a HIGH RPM impossible to shift issue. When at high rpm's it just flat out wouldn't go into the next gear. The clutch fully disengaged when normal driving and when stopped. I suspect now that it was something wrong inside the trans causing this issue but wasn't sure at the time of R&R the old for new trans.

So when I too my old trans out I discovered the car had an aluminum flywheel + Clutchmasters FX300 setup in it.

I had a new LUK setup on standby because I was pressed for time to get this trans swapped and didn't have enough lead time to pick up a GMPP setup.

So I pulled the FX300 and put in the LUK setup. Needless to say it doesn't hold full torque. It slips a bit toward the top of 2nd and will slip in 3rd once boost ramps up. I turned my torque down via tune and now it's holding because of that.

I am going to pull the trans one more time to swap out the clutch.

I have ordered an OEM steel flywheel. The aluminum one is too jumpy rpm wise when taking off for my taste.

My question is, do you think I would be ok with the LUK clutch disc + Clutchmasters PP + Oem steel flywheel?

I really don't like the near on / off style of the kevlar discs and want to avoid that if possible.

From what I have heard the main component in a clutches torque holding ability is the pressure plate.

Before I took the FX300 off it held solid and was smooth as could be when engaging it as in it's not warped at all.

I am going to take input from you guys and make a descision as to whether or not use the FX pressure plate + LUK oem disc or pick up a GMPP pressure plate + GMPP disc.

My car is a daily driver that might goto the track once or twice a year. Streetability is #1 for me.

Anybody who's got experience with aftermarket pressure plate + oem style disc if you could let me know how that worked for you I would greatly appreciate it.

THanks for any input in advance!