Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch pedal issue? TOB/Slave?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch pedal issue? TOB/Slave?

alright guys ill try to make it quick, i finally picked up another LSJ, and of course with every new car you dont know the past like its previous owner did, and I'm just trying to narrow down what my issue might be.

basically my clutch pedal randomly loses a little pressure. The car has 68k and the previous owner had said the clutch had been replaced in the past as well as the rear calipers (which were obviously new with new pads).
I could tell the kid knew about cars but didnt work on them at all, (especially seeing as he had no idea how to fix his extremely sloppy hurst short throw when it literally required tightening one bolt) so i hoped for an easy fix

so my first guess was that the brake/clutch system wasnt bled well enough. went through rebled everything. brakes felt a little better clutch didnt have its issue quite as often but no fix. i then bled the clutch, and then rebled the brakes again just to double check. again slightly better but no fix.

ive heard the oem TOB is known to bleed a little pressure but my old cobalt had 140k and I never had this issue. I dont have any chatter either and for the most part (about 80-90% of the time) the clutch pedal feels great and engages right at the top but every once in a while it will randomly have about an inch or 2 of play but it still engages then will randomly go back to normal. I'm really hoping its an easier fix than the slave/tob. the money for the parts isnt an issue its just dishing out the money to pay someone to do it since ive had zero extra time lately and no longer have a garage. also is this something that will get continuously worse or will I be okay to keep driving? i hate to spend so much money for a minor annoyance, Ive driven the car for the past 2 months and havent seen any difference (besides the improvement after bleeding)

any input is appreciated!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also is there a possibility that neither of us fully bled the system if the clutch really was replaced? i saw a lot of people saying they had to use vacuum bleeders to fully bleed their system and bleeding it regularly didnt do the trick..