Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Problems???

Ok guys well my clutch is starting to go out. it only has about 6 thousand miles on it. i know!! but when the dealership installed it they screwed the install up and messed up my release bearing. well they replaced the release bearing about 1000 miles ago. i was wondering if the release bearing could have and effect on the clutch wearing prematurely. i also starting hearing the weirding rattle noise coming from the tranny the day i got it back after the clutch install. the noise goes away when i push the clutch in but comes back when i release the clutch. any ideas??? sounds to me like internal transmission problems.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so you have 6k on this clutch....what happened to the last clutch?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 PM

the rattling is normal...everyone i know that has a cobalt does it, even guys with stage 2 clutches and such. sounds like you may need to work on your driving skills, cuz these clutches glaze rather easily; but if you follow the how-to about clutch slip it might help you.

here:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ghlight=clutch

Last edited by ecotecon18s; 01-27-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 PM

why are so many clutches crappin out?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by crazy-eh666
why are so many clutches crappin out?
driver error, i have 26k miles on stock clutch with plenty of clutch dumps and hard shifting. and no problems
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 PM

Mine gave out because the slave cylinder was leaking..... I know that was a common problem on the early models of redlines.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 PM

join the club
Old 01-27-2008, 01:59 PM

The first clutch was my fault. Im not going to lie, I just bought the car brand new, had the stage 2 put on a week after i got it and was having way too much fun lol. but the 2nd clutch, i treated alot better. im almost tempted to just throw the stock back in and trade it in. it just doesnt make any sense. the noise is coming from the transmission i know and you can only hear it through the drivers wheel. it gets louder when you rev it up too. i like the car but it just seems like these trannys are terrible. any advice would be very helpful on what to do.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Driver error.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ridemlow03
Ok guys well my clutch is starting to go out. it only has about 6 thousand miles on it. i know!! but when the dealership installed it they screwed the install up and messed up my release bearing. well they replaced the release bearing about 1000 miles ago. i was wondering if the release bearing could have and effect on the clutch wearing prematurely. i also starting hearing the weirding rattle noise coming from the tranny the day i got it back after the clutch install. the noise goes away when i push the clutch in but comes back when i release the clutch. any ideas??? sounds to me like internal transmission problems.
I have the same problem...And I'm on my 3rd release bearing....What clutch do you have; stock?.....The only two things I can figure is that if your clutch is aftermarket you're just unlucky like me (actually I have a CM fx400 and a fidanza flywheel, which somehow is a bad combo *I recently found out* and is causing mine to keep going out)....and if its stock its how they are putting the tranny back in......

When you put the tranny back in the car its hard not to damage the damn thing bc the engine sits lopsided and you have to line the tranny up with the shaft and then sort of rock it back and forth as you slide the tranny in the line up the splines.....so when your lining it up, or NOT, I should say, and pushing the tranny in guess what the shaft is poking at?...the damn release bearing and the boot on their tears just behind the release bearing real easy......
Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 PM

my tranny never opened, 32000kms, 5000km round trip from here to chicago, zero probs on stock clutch. i rarely put the car over 4000rpms tho. im a sissy.
2 guys i work with also have balts, one ls that literally does burnout after burnout after burnout. gm replaced his clutch (i dont know how), the other dude has a 2.4 ss and his just went last week. he had to pay 2000 for his clutch. both driver error for sure.

what noise is yours making, and how can you hear it from the front wheel?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 PM

whys everybody say driver error??? i been driving a stick for the past 3-4 years. i never had problems with clutches before. with this car i been shifting right around 3000. somebody please explain to me what im doing wrong besides saying driver error. and most the driving i do is on the highway. about 2/3 of the miles i drive is on the highway. so please explain to me
Old 01-27-2008, 02:09 PM

whys everybody say driver error??? i been driving a stick for the past 3-4 years. i never had problems with clutches before. with this car i been shifting right around 3000. somebody please explain to me what im doing wrong besides saying driver error. and most the driving i do is on the highway. about 2/3 of the miles i drive is on the highway. so please explain to me
I'm not.....like I said exact same problem...knocking at idle...then goes away when you push the clutch in........
Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by lsj06ecotec
I'm not.....like I said exact same problem...knocking at idle...then goes away when you push the clutch in........
yeah it just dont make sense to me becasue it never did it before they installed the clutch. it just dont seem normal to me.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 PM

im not saying yours is driver error (except your first clutch), i just wanted to know what noise she making?
Old 01-27-2008, 02:12 PM

yeah it just dont make sense to me becasue it never did it before they installed the clutch. it just dont seem normal to me.
what clutch do you have? and like I said if it started right after you got the car back its how they installed the tranny
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by crazy-eh666
im not saying yours is driver error (except your first clutch), i just wanted to know what noise she making?
its making almost like a rattle noise. when i rev it up it gets louder. when i push the clutch in it goes away. i have the stock clutch by the way lsj.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:24 PM

its making almost like a rattle noise. when i rev it up it gets louder. when i push the clutch in it goes away. i have the stock clutch by the way lsj.
yeah same problem...if they go and pull the tranny again..I gaurantee its the release bearing, they'll find thats its torn behind the bearing on the release side and its probably leaking at the back too.....does it also rattle when in gear driving down the road and you let off the gas...If I had a video camera I'd go out to the car right now and film the noise...I just put a new release in my car, and later that afternoon it happened to me all over again....last time I rode with the noise for awhile and it got louder...you could hear it from down the street, lol...the bad thing is there will be no warning when it goes, it'll just go...its not like a clutch where it'll start slipping first....I think your clutch is fine, its the release (use the search many ppl have problems with them since its designed with the slave (some build too much pressure and leak that way).....
Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by lsj06ecotec
yeah same problem...if they go and pull the tranny again..I gaurantee its the release bearing, they'll find thats its torn behind the bearing on the release side and its probably leaking at the back too.....does it also rattle when in gear driving down the road and you let off the gas...If I had a video camera I'd go out to the car right now and film the noise...I just put a new release in my car, and later that afternoon it happened to me all over again....last time I rode with the noise for awhile and it got louder...you could hear it from down the street, lol...the bad thing is there will be no warning when it goes, it'll just go...its not like a clutch where it'll start slipping first....I think your clutch is fine, its the release (use the search many ppl have problems with them since its designed with the slave (some build too much pressure and leak that way).....
nah they just replaced the release bearing about 1000 miles ago. i know its my clutch cause when they tore the transmission off, the clutch was worn pretty good.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Throwout bearing
Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Firebirdhorn
Throwout bearing
exactly....I'd place moeny on it.....I read about it in S.I. bullitens, and I've dealt with it firsthand (I'm a GM Tech)...........
Old 01-27-2008, 02:35 PM

Thats a pretty damn good sign of the throwout bearing going out....its very easy to notice.....there are no "aftermarket" ones either as far as I have noticed from everyone on the site. Just FYI
Old 01-27-2008, 03:01 PM

alright guys thanks. could the throw out bearing cause premature clutch failure??
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 PM

alright guys thanks. could the throw out bearing cause premature clutch failure??
the clutch wont go...but the bearing will....and you wont be able to engage/ disengage the clutch meaning you cant drive the vehicle.....
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM

damn that sucks well me and my boy(who has a shop) are going to tear it down within the next week or two and put some new stuff in there.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems???