Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Clutch Slipping or bad gears?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Clutch Slipping or bad gears?

hey everyone, yall kno by kno been having clutch issues and finding ways to fix them. Most recently installed the ZZP clutch rod which helped dramatically get my clutch to disengage (clutch master stage 4) now yesterday i was driving and had a fun run with a S4 when i went to shift into forth i missed it it grinded i backed off and went bac into the gear when i stepped on the gas and boost went up the rpms went up sharply as if my car was burning out. i slowed to 40mph and went from 2nd up the gears 3rd felt a lil like 4th but when i went into forth it grabbed but when getting into boost again it felt as if i was doing a burn out, i went into 5th and punched it but couldnt really tell i caught up to traffic. now today i had clear shot i stepped on it in third nothing forth noticed it but couldnt do 5th. anythoughts?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're doing a third gear pull and the RPMs jump but the speed doesn't when the boost kicks in, then your clutch is slipping.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Sounds like a clutch, if it's a new one and this is happening you may have glazed it over pretty good.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Roll at a low speed 30 or so...and stomp it in 5th.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nfamous60
hey everyone, yall kno by kno been having clutch issues and finding ways to fix them. Most recently installed the ZZP clutch rod which helped dramatically get my clutch to disengage (clutch master stage 4) now yesterday i was driving and had a fun run with a S4 when i went to shift into forth i missed it it grinded i backed off and went bac into the gear when i stepped on the gas and boost went up the rpms went up sharply as if my car was burning out. i slowed to 40mph and went from 2nd up the gears 3rd felt a lil like 4th but when i went into forth it grabbed but when getting into boost again it felt as if i was doing a burn out, i went into 5th and punched it but couldnt really tell i caught up to traffic. now today i had clear shot i stepped on it in third nothing forth noticed it but couldnt do 5th. anythoughts?
Before you installed the clutch rod did the clutch seem to engage at different points when letting off the pedal?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
if it didnt do this before installing the adjustable pushrod, your pushrod is set too tight. the clutch pedal should have around 1/4-1/2" of freeplay at the top of its travel to ensure the hydraulics are not holding the clutch partially disengaged. back it off till you get some freeplay.

to this point, i myself have never found a reason to have an adjustable pushrod on a cobalt. when your hydraulics are bled correctly you wont need to adjust the pushrod, you should have a slight bit of freeplay at the top and thats the way it is. some vehicles have adjustable pushrods from factory, however your not supposed to adjust your release height of a hydraulic clutch (or even a cable clutch with constant riding release bearing), you adjust your freeplay at the top of the pedal and thats it. if your clutch is releasing too high your clutch is worn out, if it releases too low you have hydraulic problems.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys thanx for all the input seriously, frog you are right clutch is slipping but only when i roll pass 10lbs of boost, soft driving is fine shifts r gud no slip clutch grabs like its always been doing but when i try to roll into it it starts slipping the revs go up fast but speed doesnt. im not gonna buy a new clutch right now i leave in 3weeks so car will be stored while im deployed and ill order all my mods while over seas.

blkls : wasnt a new clutch it came in the car when i brought it, and to the guys who talked bout the pushrod: i only had got it installed for bout a week i had a post bout my engagement and disengagement and another member who is running the same clutch as me stated that when he installed it the roblems went away so i got it and put it in and my problems went away still cant WOT shift but i was able to shift alot better, now the damn thing slips SMDH ( NEVER BUY A CAR THATS BEEN MODDED)