Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

(How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sloancallaway - get the OTTP tranny mounts. A little bit of vibration, not too bad, and no axle issues ever again.

sportredss - or whatever you rname was with the ne TC - the turbo has beefed up axles, and shouldn't have problems. Not only did they strengthen the sxles, they fixed the axle geometry issue that was the REAL cause of SC axle breakage - the one that the OTTP mounts solve. SC's and Relines DO need stronger axles - but the mounts fix it for most drivers, and 300+ whp suddenly is possible with the stockers.

Regarding this theory - bought my car with 20k. Now at 45k. Drive her pretty hard, heel-toe ALL the time (practice makes perfect). Some days my clutch slips a little, some days it doesn't. Was afraid to run this last weekends autocross n teh clutch - but it didn't slip at all with all that crazy driving! Been driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Read this whole damn thread, went and tested a theory. Sure enough - let he idle to temp, hit the road, WOT - slight slip. Drive around for a bit shifting like I always do (3-4k every gear until at desired speed, then 5th if over 40 mph, aggressive driving) and tried it again - ran like a raped ape, SHREDDED the tires into 2nd (I run higher than normal tire pressures - around 40-41 psi front - due to cornering habits), no slip.

Car is completely stock other than the OTTP mounts just installed. Broke a couple axles drag racing, only been down teh track 4 times though as I'm more solo-II than drag. Never slipped at the track. Been autocrossed dozens of times since day 1. What little clutch slip I was experiencing is now confirmed as cold clutch related - drive her for a minute with 3-4k shifts, and I can't make it slip.

Thanks for the info - everyone - say what you want, bitch all you want, but this works.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i know this post is very old. but after i read this post back when it was released, because i was having slipping issues and thought it was the power in the stg2 was too much for the clutch, I start shifting 3k and above 3k-3.5k, after driving like this for 3 days, i couldnt wait any longer... i had to WOT and race the **** outa the car... And wow.... no more slip, infact where it usually would slip i was ready to let go of the gas, and to my suprise the damn thing kept going, all the way to my 6800 shift point.. Im even churping again in higher gears... so yes this does work and shame on GM for not telling us damnit...
they already replaced my flywheel and clutch at 5k because no one told me about this whole glazing stuff.. so thank you again... you saved me $$
Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 AM

Interesting. I always shift at 2000 RPM in the Mustang GT. I have only about 6000 miles on it and haven't detected any slippage. It does have a V8, which requires a different shift strategy than a 4-banger on a lightweight car, but I may give it a shot on both the Stang and SS/TC (when it arrives).
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 AM

Mustang should be fine, different clutch.

SS/TC has a heavier duty clutch that my or may not have the same issue. :shrug:
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 AM

it works i did this way before i saw this thread and it does work
Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by metroplex
Interesting. I always shift at 2000 RPM in the Mustang GT. I have only about 6000 miles on it and haven't detected any slippage. It does have a V8, which requires a different shift strategy than a 4-banger on a lightweight car, but I may give it a shot on both the Stang and SS/TC (when it arrives).
again, it's not the shifting low that damages the clutch. it's slipping the clutch too much by shifting too slowly that does.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 PM

damn! dude i always shift like around 2k cause i needed to save gas... but i guess that f'd me up. ok im gonna shift higher and hopefully fixes my slippage.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by h0ckeyfreak
damn! dude i always shift like around 2k cause i needed to save gas... but i guess that f'd me up. ok im gonna shift higher and hopefully fixes my slippage.
read my posts... fix your driving, not where in the rpm range you shift.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM

I feel like sometimes you have to let the clutch out slow, but only in certain situations. From a dead stop, you have to let the clutch out slow or you will stall. If you are coming to a red light and you are braking to slow down and push in the clutch (anticipating a full stop), but then the light turns green, you need 2nd gear and to let out the clutch slowly. I think if the clutch was let out fast in this situation, the engine could stall which could be catastrophic at speed. Happened to me today, I was behind a semi-truck making a right turn, thought I would have to stop because trucks make very slow wide turns, so I pushed in the clutch and was braking. I was crawling at less than 10mph, the truck was pulling away, I tired 1st but it would not go in so I went to second. I let out the clutch slowly and pushed the gas to prevent stalling. The engine rpms lowered below the idle for a brief time. My engine was lugging in 2nd and I was traveling too fast for 1st. I guess I was caught in no mans land. Not sure if I burned the clutch unnecessarily, I was too scared to let it out fast.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aterminatorz
I feel like sometimes you have to let the clutch out slow, but only in certain situations. From a dead stop, you have to let the clutch out slow or you will stall. If you are coming to a red light and you are braking to slow down and push in the clutch (anticipating a full stop), but then the light turns green, you need 2nd gear and to let out the clutch slowly. I think if the clutch was let out fast in this situation, the engine could stall which could be catastrophic at speed. Happened to me today, I was behind a semi-truck making a right turn, thought I would have to stop because trucks make very slow wide turns, so I pushed in the clutch and was braking. I was crawling at less than 10mph, the truck was pulling away, I tired 1st but it would not go in so I went to second. I let out the clutch slowly and pushed the gas to prevent stalling. The engine rpms lowered below the idle for a brief time. My engine was lugging in 2nd and I was traveling too fast for 1st. I guess I was caught in no mans land. Not sure if I burned the clutch unnecessarily, I was too scared to let it out fast.
couple things wrong here. from a stop, you're supposed to get off the clutch quickly. People use the clutch for a smooth start, but it's not the right way. I'm off the clutch by 1,000 rpms on flat ground. no need to let it out slowly. it's just glazing the clutch. If you get off the clutch and engage the gas at the right time, it will be just as smooth.

also, in your example about going back into 2nd, that's why you rev match. so the clutch doesn't have to do the work.

NEVER go into 1st while you're moving, especially more than like 2 or 3mph. you couldn't go into 1st because it's a safety feature so you don't blow your tranny.

finally, you shouldn't push the clutch while breaking. If you're not shifting, you shouldn't be pushing the clutch.

Last edited by D4u2s0t; 05-09-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
couple things wrong here. from a stop, you're supposed to get off the clutch quickly. People use the clutch for a smooth start, but it's not the right way. I'm off the clutch by 1,000 rpms on flat ground. no need to let it out slowly. it's just glazing the clutch.
This is exactly what I do. In fact, it was one of your earlier posts that helped me with that.

Your posts have also helped me out with rev matching.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM

i have had some problems in the past but it always goes away, and i need to say i dont really think my slips at all unless i go to the track and do a lot of runs and i shift any where between 3 and 4k
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM

well heres my chance. i always shift at 2k rpms cus i feel it saves gas. and my 06 SS just started slipping yesterday. so im gonna test this theory right now i'll let you know wat happens in a few days
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM

couple things wrong here. from a stop, you're supposed to get off the clutch quickly. People use the clutch for a smooth start, but it's not the right way. I'm off the clutch by 1,000 rpms on flat ground. no need to let it out slowly. it's just glazing the clutch. If you get off the clutch and engage the gas at the right time, it will be just as smooth.

also, in your example about going back into 2nd, that's why you rev match. so the clutch doesn't have to do the work.

NEVER go into 1st while you're moving, especially more than like 2 or 3mph. you couldn't go into 1st because it's a safety feature so you don't blow your tranny.

finally, you shouldn't push the clutch while breaking. If you're not shifting, you shouldn't be pushing the clutch.
While this post is for the most part true, I feel I must correct one part. There is no feature that prevents going into 1st. I heel-toe into first at autocrosses when I have to (which isn't ever if the course is designed right, but alas - sometimes they're not), and 10 mph if you want to take off quick 1st is an option.

As for the poster that that post was replying to... There is no reason on earth for teh car to stall at that speed - or at ANY speed, as long as it's moving. You can leave the line in 2nd with enough gas without stalling, so why would it stall at 10 mph? Lugging a bit and not going as fast as you might like, sure - but not stalling. If you drive right, this situation should never occur. Our powerband is wide enough that there's always a proper gear to be in. If the car is bucking and trying to stall, I'd be looking for a vacuum leak.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Clutch Upgrade

I have 60k miles on my ss/sc...what is a good clutch to upgrade and yes I race anything with wheels.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM

2006, ss/sc, 90k on the car... I drive it like it should be.. it's a sports car lol - have fun - you're going to have to stop at a gas station and get punched in the face by the pump anyway.. might as well enjoy the ride there right?
anyway.... no slippage when i drive it aggressive..

although I'm in the middle of replacing the rod pin now.. still 90k on those rod pins? pretty good

as much as this theory doesn't make sense.. i'm a true believer.. just read this for the first time today and it goes with my thoughts as i read about shifting and what RPM's people shift at.. and so on.. stop thinking about it.. drive the car - she'll tell you when to shift... and in this case, she likes to be whined higher than most...

great post.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the stock clutch??
Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM

GM, lol.

I have no idea, anyone know where they're sourced from?

GM, lol.

I have no idea. Anyone know where they're sourced from?

Last edited by BigBrother; 08-12-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM

i bought my 06 ss balt used. when i first got it the cluth released at the top. A few days later it started releasing near the floor. when i was on a road trip 6 hours away from home my clutch went completly out. i had it reaplaced and the new clutch released at the top. and a few days later it was releasing near the floor. i am curently in the middle east on a deployment so i am not driving regularly but when i get back i will try to **** no lower than 3K. i am hella concerned about my clutch going out again. I amabout to but about 4 grand in to it so i am even more worried about it going out. should i be worried?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Sounds like it's the cylinder and/or fluid, not the clutch itself. How are the brakes?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM

does this apply to the lnf powered balts also cause mine is slipping in 3rd 4th and 5th only cause its tuned!!! it slips about 500-700 rpms then grabs and sometimes surges... so whats up with that??
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM

lol
thread was started in 06'......whos tune you using?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM

im using a custom tune from backyardturbo its hptuners and thats my bad lol

he posted the tune on the hptuners web site but its bad ass

Last edited by black08SS-TC; 01-04-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 PM

@ Crawfish7162 - also, you should check to make sure there isn't any tranny fluid in the clutch housing. Sorry I forgot to mention that 5 months ago, lol. If the previous owner beat on the car hard, wheel hop can cause a crack in the tranny case that leaks fluid into the clutch. One more reason OTTP tranny mounts are made of win!

Regardless, it should take months or years to see a change in the clutch like that, not days. SOMETHING isn't right.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Never let a 4 cylinder be below 2,000 RPM. It's just asking for clutch trouble.

Quick Reply: (How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.