Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Hurst Short Throw

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssmokin
please tell me how one could improperly install a short throw shifter.
its very simple to not install it correctly...tahts why more than half of the people on this forum cant get reverse lockout to work...bud
Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the look of both but if i had a manual i take the hurst cause it shows the gear in case I forget what gear i am in
Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
thats....
wow....i cant believe you actually typed that.
talk about the definition of pedantic argument.

If you want to get pedantic, lets play.

tell me, are you moving right now?
some would say no.
others would say your moving at about 67000 miles an hour.
but a thousand years ago, this was not known, so even though they technically were moving, they all would say they were not.
perception is a funny thing

If you are given 2 shifters, one 28 one 30, but not told that they are different, and they look identical.
then if you are unable to discern such a miniscule difference, ones true perception of the shifters, is that they are identical no?
and if a person has no desire or need to ever measure them, then tell me, are they identical? or not?
are you moving or not?
did i say that i could tell one was 30 and one was 28? no. they felt different and the b&m had a considerably shorter throw in the cars that i was in. were you there? no. dont act like you were there and you are omniscient. you're not. if one was installed incorrectly, can you please explain to me how one could improperly install a short throw shifter?

Originally Posted by Jimmys2007CobaltSS/C
i like the look of both but if i had a manual i take the hurst cause it shows the gear in case I forget what gear i am in
u r a god among mortals

Originally Posted by Kibosh3
its very simple to not install it correctly...tahts why more than half of the people on this forum cant get reverse lockout to work...bud
k bud. thanks for that helpful bit of info.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM

^^^^^
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

^ watch out batman has a bomb
Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did i say that i could tell one was 30 and one was 28? no. they felt different and the b&m had a considerably shorter throw in the cars that i was in. were you there? no. dont act like you were there and you are omniscient. you're not. if one was installed incorrectly, can you please explain to me how one could improperly install a short throw shifter?
ummm, re-read this please....
Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
ummm, re-read this please....
why are you dodging my question?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsmikey1987
^ watch out batman has a bomb
haha yeah found it today. you like?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:22 PM

please tell me how one could improperly install a short throw shifter.
Very easily! Look at all the morons that can't get reverse lockout to work or can't get 5th to line up properly. Hell if I were to just go by what's posted on this forum 90% of people can NOT install a short throw properly.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Very easily! Look at all the morons that can't get reverse lockout to work or can't get 5th to line up properly. Hell if I were to just go by what's posted on this forum 90% of people can NOT install a short throw properly.
so what is it that they do to **** it up? all you keep saying is that they can't get it to work. how do you not install a short throw shifter properly? please tell me. i'm waiting for an0malous to explain it to me. he argues just to argue. it happens in every thread he post's in. it's childish. the OP asked for advice so i gave it to him.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well B&M is cheaper so if they are the same and people say B&M is better can I go wrong?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 AM

so what is it that they do to **** it up? all you keep saying is that they can't get it to work. how do you not install a short throw shifter properly? please tell me. i'm waiting for an0malous to explain it to me. he argues just to argue. it happens in every thread he post's in. it's childish. the OP asked for advice so i gave it to him.
The problem comes in the adjustment of the cables. Doesn't seem like something that should be that hard to do, but appearantly it is. Some people adjust too far left or right, then have trouble finding 1/2 or 5/R, some adjust them too far forward or back, either bumping into the cupholders in front or getting it so far off that there's not enough room to fully engage certain gears. It's something straightforward but a lot of people screw it up. And yes, I've seen people install short throws SO sloppily that the entire shifter feels like ****. How you can manage that, I haven't a clue, but it happens.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM

Look jack ass people don't know how to adjust it correctly. Can you just slap it in and have it kinda work....yes. If you don't adjust it properly 5th gear is all fucked up and your reverse lock out is all fucked up. It takes time to set it up properly and most of the wanna be ricers don't take the time to do it...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
Look jack ass people don't know how to adjust it correctly. Can you just slap it in and have it kinda work....yes. If you don't adjust it properly 5th gear is all fucked up and your reverse lock out is all fucked up. It takes time to set it up properly and most of the wanna be ricers don't take the time to do it...
what he said...but disregard the jackass part..im just a passive individual .... actually its just that i dont care
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM

I don't really care that much either but when you have 5 people telling you the that adjustment is where people screw up and he still doesn't get it then you have to call him a retard (I mean really Corky from Life Goes On could have figured it out by now) and then he went and called out one person and says they argue just to argue and then he evolves into a retarded jackass. Some people just need to QFT!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

So then I will be getting the B and M
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM

they are both about the same and definately an improvement over stock. The only differance is the way they look and 2% shorter throw (big ****** deal). Go with what cha like...
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM

i like how my hurst shifter is angled closer to me than stock... makes it feel nicer wen shifting
Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM

On our 06 SS SC G85 we installed the Hurst, then the B&M, then back to the Hurst.

Started out with the Hurst since we had plenty on the shelf. Drove around for a week or 2, pulled it out of the car and went with a B&M to see if I would notice a differance. Had the B&M for about 2 weeks before pulling it out and putting the Hurst back in.

Overall, I think they both are the same thing. Its like a Chevy vs Ford thing in my opinion.

I like the feel of the Hurst better but thats just me.

If you are interested send me a PM. We have 25 Hurst units in stock and about 5 B&M units. If you are interested in a Hurst unit I can cut you a SWEE deal on one.

Thanks
-Karo
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM

i work at a chevy dealership and drive them all day long... i love my hurst short throw. makes a hell of a difference.

i work at a chevy dealership and drive them all the time... i love my hurst short throw. makes a hell of a difference.

Last edited by Flying Cobalt; 07-29-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM

I've installed three of these shifters and had no need to adjust any. When I install the shifter I do not disconnect the cable at the white connectors. I remove the cupholder and use a screw driver to remove the cable pivot socket from the shifter.
When I install the shifter, I lube the pivot ball at the bottom of the Hurst. I put a piece of wood under the shift cable through the cup holder. Then I push the shifter pivot ball into the cable.
At the some token, I drill and tap the hole for the set screw to make it larger so the shifter does not pivot when it is installed.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 PM

They are nearly IDENTICAL people... it is the SAME COMPANY that makes them, and everything but the damn knob is just about EXACTLY THE SAME.

On a side note: I accidentally stripped all the threads on the inside of my Hurst ball; called Hurst (well actually... B&M lol...) and you know what they did? Dropped a new ball in the mail for me for free, no questions asked. How bad ass is that? Beautiful customer service. You can chalk me up as a satisfied customer for sure
Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by UmeNNis
They are nearly IDENTICAL people... it is the SAME COMPANY that makes them, and everything but the damn knob is just about EXACTLY THE SAME.

On a side note: I accidentally stripped all the threads on the inside of my Hurst ball; called Hurst (well actually... B&M lol...) and you know what they did? Dropped a new ball in the mail for me for free, no questions asked. How bad ass is that? Beautiful customer service. You can chalk me up as a satisfied customer for sure
Or could have sent me a message and I would have sent you a whole new ball or a whole new unit in exchange... I keep spares around or break up kits all the time to help people out with getting them parts quicker and deal with the bad unit with the manufacture my self. Its all about how you ask people

-Karo

Quick Reply: Hurst Short Throw