Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Hurst Short Throw

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
I don't really care that much either but when you have 5 people telling you the that adjustment is where people screw up and he still doesn't get it then you have to call him a retard (I mean really Corky from Life Goes On could have figured it out by now) and then he went and called out one person and says they argue just to argue and then he evolves into a retarded jackass. Some people just need to QFT!!!
ooh big man calling me names while sitting behind his computer. grow up. Yes you're right, 5 people said that it was the adjustment of the cables. not. you need to learn how to count. one person said it AFTER i asked the last time. you're one of those people who like to argue just for the hell of it. but thanks for contributing to this thread with childish insults.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 PM

You need to go back on permanent ban...You're the one who came in here causing trouble

Here are the three posts before you threw the hissy fit telling you that the adjustment is what people screw up on...

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I've driven an LSJ with both and can't tell a noticeable difference in throw length.

No.

You need to adjust yours. My "stops" work just fine. It "stops" where it should for 5th and reverse lockout works fine.
Originally Posted by Kibosh3
its very simple to not install it correctly...tahts why more than half of the people on this forum cant get reverse lockout to work...bud
Very easily! Look at all the morons that can't get reverse lockout to work or can't get 5th to line up properly. Hell if I were to just go by what's posted on this forum 90% of people can NOT install a short throw properly.

AAAAAAnd here are the three after you made a *** bubble out of yourself...

The problem comes in the adjustment of the cables. Doesn't seem like something that should be that hard to do, but appearantly it is. Some people adjust too far left or right, then have trouble finding 1/2 or 5/R, some adjust them too far forward or back, either bumping into the cupholders in front or getting it so far off that there's not enough room to fully engage certain gears. It's something straightforward but a lot of people screw it up. And yes, I've seen people install short throws SO sloppily that the entire shifter feels like ****. How you can manage that, I haven't a clue, but it happens.
Look jack ass people don't know how to adjust it correctly. Can you just slap it in and have it kinda work....yes. If you don't adjust it properly 5th gear is all fucked up and your reverse lock out is all fucked up. It takes time to set it up properly and most of the wanna be ricers don't take the time to do it...
Originally Posted by Kibosh3
what he said...but disregard the jackass part..im just a passive individual .... actually its just that i dont care

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 07-29-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 AM

You need to go back on permanent ban...You're the one who came in here causing trouble

Here are the three posts before you threw the hissy fit telling you that the adjustment is what people screw up on...

AAAAAAnd here are the three after you made a *** bubble out of yourself...
HAHAhA! yes, i came in here causing trouble. and i'm not sure that i did anything to deserve a permanent ban. i came in here giving my opinion. you came in here trying to act like a tough guy. reality is, im sure you're a loser in real life who sit's on the computer all day waiting, desperately searching the forums, to find someone you can try to "tell off". all i can say, is that you need more practice. you make me laugh from your stupidity.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 AM

hello kettle this is the pot...you're black
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 AM

hello kettle this is the pot...you're black
again, laughing at you're stupidity.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 AM

Look different? You tell me? Actually isn't the b&m supposed to be 33% not 30%? 5% difference is significant.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:53 AM

Calm down children. Now it looks like I'm one of the jackasses that can't install a shifter properly. 1st and 2nd line up fine, but 5th and reverse aren't. I have to hunt for them a bit. What needs adjustment to get those gears and stops lined up?

Sorry to thread jack, but from the looks of things it couldn't hurt.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Bannned

Originally Posted by an0malous
then something was wrong with one or both of them.
properly installed, they both feel excellent, and anyone who says they can discern a 28% throw reduction to a 30% throw reduction, is deluding themselves.
honestly, i have driven a cobalt with a Hurst and a B&M short throw shifter. I like the look of the Hurst and but as far as shifts go, its B&M hands down. It is shorter and than the Hurst, and you can definitely tell. whatever you guy are saying about percentages... throw that out the window. this is real life hands on ****, driver tested, and B&M comes out on top. that simple.

and who cares about the shifter cables. this is about throw. and the B&M is shorter and shift/feels better.

Last edited by ColeJJones; 07-30-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
First, Hurst Designed this shifter BEFORE B&M purchased the company Hurst. So they are 2 different designs. The design has been the same since the first day they released them.

Second the B&M, has been stated, 100's of times, that it shifts more smoothly, and I WILL AGREE, the B&M shifts much smoother. Only thing I like on the Hurst is the shift knob is a bit "more likable".

But as far as performance goes, B&M all the way.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Bannned

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
First, Hurst Designed this shifter BEFORE B&M purchased the company Hurst. So they are 2 different designs. The design has been the same since the first day they released them.

Second the B&M, has been stated, 100's of times, that it shifts more smoothly, and I WILL AGREE, the B&M shifts much smoother. Only thing I like on the Hurst is the shift knob is a bit "more likable".

isnt that what i said?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
I've installed three of these shifters and had no need to adjust any. When I install the shifter I do not disconnect the cable at the white connectors. I remove the cupholder and use a screw driver to remove the cable pivot socket from the shifter.
When I install the shifter, I lube the pivot ball at the bottom of the Hurst. I put a piece of wood under the shift cable through the cup holder. Then I push the shifter pivot ball into the cable.
At the some token, I drill and tap the hole for the set screw to make it larger so the shifter does not pivot when it is installed.
Best idea yet! That damn screw is WAY too small.

Originally Posted by theneelster

Look different? You tell me? Actually isn't the b&m supposed to be 33% not 30%? 5% difference is significant.
The only difference is that the Hurst is angled back so that the shifter isn't so damn far up. That's the only complaint I had about the B&M was that with nearly identical adjustments, the B&M felt way far forward.

Originally Posted by Otown07
Calm down children. Now it looks like I'm one of the jackasses that can't install a shifter properly. 1st and 2nd line up fine, but 5th and reverse aren't. I have to hunt for them a bit. What needs adjustment to get those gears and stops lined up?

Sorry to thread jack, but from the looks of things it couldn't hurt.
I want to say it's the right hand cable. Unclip the white connector, move the shifter SLIGHTLY to the right, reclip. You should eventually get it but SMALL adjustments go a long way. If you pull it too far right, then you're not going to have reverse working properly.

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing

Honestly, I spent a quarter on some shifter bushings and you REALLY can't tell the difference between the two. I think the Hurst's positioning feels a lot more natural. My only gripe so far is I haven't been able to find any sort of universal extender to make the shaft longer *giggle*.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so who has the best price out of the vendors?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster

lmao. but just remember, i'm the jackass.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM

OK so I went out and took a picture of the cables for everyone and this is the cable you need to adjust (circled in red)...

Take a sharpie marker and mark the shaft of the cable directly in front of the white connector I have circled (Gives you a reference point to go back to if it gets worse or you want to go back to the stock shifter). The pull up on the tab at the front of the shifter and you can then move the shaft of the shifter cable in and out without moving the shifter. In my case 5th gear was way far to the right when compared to the other gears and 5th gear lock out still worked but the cable was stretched to the max. I moved the cable only about 1/4 out of the connector and locked it and tried it out and it was pretty much perfect. If you have problems with how it sits front to back you would basically do the same thing with the other cable until it was in the position you desired (I didn't have to adjust front to back travel when I installed mine). I would only do adjustments in 1/8" increments so that you don't adjust it too far the other way. Well I hope this helps...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM

Dammit, I've just been living with the 5th/Reverse lineup problem for like 6 months, and it maybe took 3 minutes to fix it. I'm embarrassed now. Thanks for the pointers guys.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:40 PM

^^^you got it fixed and you're shifter works right?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:06 PM

Yep.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM

Nice. hope my little tutorial helped...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 AM

For those who want the Hurst Shifter here is a link to a sale we are running.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/supporting-vendor-deals-group-purchases-133/hurst-sts-hurst-sts-hurst-sts-hurst-sts-hurst-sts-hurst-sts-126219/
Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 PM

I have a hurst i will sell for 100$ shipped im selling to get a b&m !!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go hurst! all you have to do is mark the gray clip and put it back exactly where it was, no further problems!