Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Ingalls torque brace WORKS !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
The 3 orders that were missing the actuall dampener itself, have all been taken care of. All 3 customers have tracking numbers emailed to them. Email me if you didnt receive yours via email.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody else take there torque dampener to the track, thats the only place i get horrible wheel hop
Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Xenozx
If you bolt both brackets to the car and you hold the torque brace up against it and you can see the brace is 1/2 an inch longer then the holes in the brackets what is the proper way to fix that?
you need to adjust the length of the damper.. if you install it without the length adjusted you will bend the brackets.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Former Vendor

Yes we have this wonderful item available for the cobalt SS owners looking to stop the hop.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuikFKR
I'm pretty positive I have the brace installed properly but I'm getting a messed up noise in the low rpm's like the metal scrapping noise, so I pulled it off. Anyone else experience this?
I just installed mine today and am getting that noise as well on the passenger side of the cabin.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
I just installed mine today and am getting that noise as well on the passenger side of the cabin.
Is the lebgth adjusted properly so that the holes lined up before you attached it to the brackets?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by robstamina
Is the lebgth adjusted properly so that the holes lined up before you attached it to the brackets?

Yes, I had to adjust the brace slightly to get them to line up. I shortened it up by about 3 threads. The sound I'm hearing I'm guessing is engine noise (tension pulley spinning maybe?) being transmitted through the torque brace and into the cabin. Weird thing is though, I have no vibration.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:49 PM

I will put the first bad impression of the torque brace up for all to hear. It definately works as far as making your car not wheel hop. Thats what it was designed for and thats great. I however have had quite a few issues with it that almost make it not worth while.

1.) Taking off from a stop requires much more power/RPMS to get the car moving smoothly. If you dont do this you either bog really bad or practically stall out.

2.) Shift from 1 - 2 is worse then normal on the stock clutcch. I know mine and many others have a very picky first to second shift where you have to ease it quite a bit or make sure you take it up high enough for it not to be jumpy and engage smoothly. With the torque brace getting this to happen became a chore and almost made you think something was broken.

3.) I recieved lots of strange noises that no one on here can say if its suppose to make. Basically its like a grinding/rubbing noise and occurs when taking off from a stop, turning with any accel applied, and often times when just normal acceloration through RPM's 2500-4000. It almost doesnt sound good, but didnt really effect drivability in any way.

I know these above to be fact because I have taken the torque brace off and put it back on a few times and its like having a totally different car without the brace. I actually prefer it without it and will probably only put it on for track days. Other then that I find it not worth it.

I also agree with merc that it made the engine noise come into the cabin quite a bit more then without it.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM

I will put the first bad impression of the torque brace up for all to hear. It definately works as far as making your car not wheel hop. Thats what it was designed for and thats great. I however have had quite a few issues with it that almost make it not worth while.

1.) Taking off from a stop requires much more power/RPMS to get the car moving smoothly. If you dont do this you either bog really bad or practically stall out.

2.) Shift from 1 - 2 is worse then normal on the stock clutcch. I know mine and many others have a very picky first to second shift where you have to ease it quite a bit or make sure you take it up high enough for it not to be jumpy and engage smoothly. With the torque brace getting this to happen became a chore and almost made you think something was broken.

3.) I recieved lots of strange noises that no one on here can say if its suppose to make. Basically its like a grinding/rubbing noise and occurs when taking off from a stop, turning with any accel applied, and often times when just normal acceloration through RPM's 2500-4000. It almost doesnt sound good, but didnt really effect drivability in any way.

I know these above to be fact because I have taken the torque brace off and put it back on a few times and its like having a totally different car without the brace. I actually prefer it without it and will probably only put it on for track days. Other then that I find it not worth it.

I also agree with merc that it made the engine noise come into the cabin quite a bit more then without it.

uh-oh.... mines on its way now, i hope I like it with all that being said... Has anyone dynoed with it on?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by knatsabooh
uh-oh.... mines on its way now, i hope I like it with all that being said... Has anyone dynoed with it on?
I can't see it affecting the dyno at all. The ED helps you get traction, not increase power.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I can't see it affecting the dyno at all. The ED helps you get traction, not increase power.
Ok didn't think it should just got weary from this statement...

"Taking off from a stop requires much more power/RPMS to get the car moving smoothly. "

thought it might have made it doggy... i dunno tho i'm in eager anticipation for it...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:16 PM

IM GETTING THAT DAMPNER IF I HAVE TO STEAL IT!!! On friday at the track I got such horrible wheel hop I took it into the dealer today cause the suspension was making a loud knocking noise! I HATE THE STOCK MOTOR MOUNTS
Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
IM GETTING THAT DAMPNER IF I HAVE TO STEAL IT!!! On friday at the track I got such horrible wheel hop I took it into the dealer today cause the suspension was making a loud knocking noise! I HATE THE STOCK MOTOR MOUNTS
Let me know. We have several in stock and ready to ship! Just came in hours ago.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_ingalls_stif...mpercobalt.cfm
Old 05-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Hey all, I thought I would do a courtesy update on this one. I had taken my torque brace off and wrote the above. Well I went to the track on Friday and put it back on as well as my strut bar. Originally (per the pictures I posted) I had put the bolt on backwards. In other words the Bolt itself was put in from the Torque brace end instead of the mount end. I think this caused all my issues. When I put it back on the right way or how the HOW TO says to do it I dont have any of the problems listed above at all. It may not be tight enough as I got **** loads of wheel hop at the track but taking off in first is great, and 1-2 shift is actually better then without it. Just thought I would put this out as an FYI. The bolt head and the screw bolt thing are different widths and this can cause the TQ brace to be on an angle which I think did all that ****.

One big plus is without it lets say I start out slow in first and get to about 15 mph. If I punch it then I will lose traction as you can hear the tires chirp fast and repeatily. Also when you shift at that point you usually bog down cause your not going fast enough and get a hard bang. Well this thing keeps me from losing traction in that scenerio and allow me to shift without the bang and have much more power when doing so. Very good!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like this will be my first mod. Will be eas to install, will be easy to uninstall when going to the dealer. Anyone know the cheapest vendor/place I can get my order in. Can it be sent to me by thursday if I order it monday?