Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Lowered, rotated mounts, rack spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowered, rotated mounts, rack spacers?

ZZP mounts are the only mounts that account for lowered cars. From what I understand it's some what stressful on your system to use regular rotated mounts if your car is lowered. So this leaves ZZP mounts as my only choice.

But I looked at OTTPs website and they have rack spacers. Does this basically do what ZZPs rotated mounts do for lowered cars?

Thus meaning I can shop anywhere. Powell mounts, OTTP, TTR etc.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm all the way down on coilovers and have ottp stage 1 rotated mounts. 90% of the cars on here are lowered, I doubt that ottp would release a product that would not work properly on a lowered car. Rack spacers (on my to-do list) help keep the car aligned and prevent bump-steer. They are pretty much necessary for all heavily lowered cobalts.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your lowered on pedders dont even bother with rack spacers. my car feels like stock with the pedders on. as far as a lower drop then maybe.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
any rotated mounts help fix the driveline angle issues on lowered cars. they are named because they rotate the motor forward lifting the back of the tranny so the axles are more inline with the center of the wheels.

and not that it matters, but powel motorsports was the ones that came up with rotated mounts for the time attack cobalt. they then produced a street version (not solid like the time attack) and sold them through ott performance. ott now makes their own billet rotated mounts, so does zzp, but powell motorsports still make the best ones.

rack spacers are a whole other story. they basicly correct the steering geometry for lowered cars. they have nothing to do with the rotated mounts.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 PM

Not trying to argue with you guys, but in another thread a user posted something about how lowering a car changes something and adding rotated mounts adds to the stress. It's not bad for it, but it'd definitely effecting something. Unfortunately I can't find it.

But, I don't know so yeah...
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vahdyx
Not trying to argue with you guys, but in another thread a user posted something about how lowering a car changes something and adding rotated mounts adds to the stress. It's not bad for it, but it'd definitely effecting something. Unfortunately I can't find it.

But, I don't know so yeah...
That could very well be true, but I've never seen a thread about something breaking due to the stress of rotated mounts on a lowered car. Think about how many people use them, and how everyone has nothing but positive things to say about them. It made my track days 100% better due to having 0 wheel hop since install.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
what lowering a fwd car does is move the axles up at the hubs. this makes the cv joints have more of an angle. this is a very bad problem on a cobalt, with bigger drops the driveline angles get to an extreme. rotating the motor forward lifts the diff decreasing this angle. it doesnt create any added stress on any components, aside from maybe the front engine mount. rotated mounts actually decrease stress on components, including the tranny case, differential, and axles.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
any rotated mounts help fix the driveline angle issues on lowered cars. they are named because they rotate the motor forward lifting the back of the tranny so the axles are more inline with the center of the wheels.

and not that it matters, but powel motorsports was the ones that came up with rotated mounts for the time attack cobalt. they then produced a street version (not solid like the time attack) and sold them through ott performance. ott now makes their own billet rotated mounts, so does zzp, but powell motorsports still make the best ones.

rack spacers are a whole other story. they basicly correct the steering geometry for lowered cars. they have nothing to do with the rotated mounts.
^^^this.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey

Well thanks for the knowledge Sharkey and all of you. I was confused apparently, but I have more questions to get a better understanding of what's going on.

If my car wasn't lowered on CM springs and rode at stock height, will rotated mounts effect it negatively? Does it have the reverse effect?

Also, is ZZPs mounts not rotated if not lowered and they just rotate it when lowered or is that a marketing ploy? I won't lie I was 100% convinced ZZP was my only option for awhile. Now I see I still have choices.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor

ZZP are good folks Tim and Ryan and Jason in the fab shop. Zoomer off line is very good as well. The business shipping etc is first class. Cant answer your question directly as to their mounts. I think its just marketing.

To follow up on what Sharkey said (100%) the car as it is lowered, does increase the outer cv angle at ride height but as the car is designed for over 6 inches or ride travel, the outer joint can accept a lot of vertical movement.

As the car is lowered, especially with these aftermarket coil overs, ride travel is MUCH reduced. Almost to like 2 inches total travel on slammed HSD/Stance.

so no issue for lowered cars really.

The rotated mounts when I first did all the work on them in 2004 (with the design integation guy at GM checking my work on cad while I did the hack work in the shop) was set up for a car lowered for racing on Ohlins coil overs. And 1.5 inches drop axle in the twisting beam built in.

so it all works. And good news I will be reeady to ship end of next week V.3 economy stage 1 Cobalt mounts. For the first week of September, I may do a CSS free shipping deal to launch this new product (before some douche copies it lol) For $110.00

kapow! take that! lol
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
ZZP are good folks Tim and Ryan and Jason in the fab shop. Zoomer off line is very good as well. The business shipping etc is first class. Cant answer your question directly as to their mounts. I think its just marketing.

To follow up on what Sharkey said (100%) the car as it is lowered, does increase the outer cv angle at ride height but as the car is designed for over 6 inches or ride travel, the outer joint can accept a lot of vertical movement.

As the car is lowered, especially with these aftermarket coil overs, ride travel is MUCH reduced. Almost to like 2 inches total travel on slammed HSD/Stance.

The rotated mounts when I first did all the work on them in 2004 (with the design integation guy at GM checking my work on cad while I did the hack work in the shop) was set up for a car lowered for racing on Ohlins coil overs. And 1.5 inches drop axle in the twisting beam built in.

so it all works. And good news I will be reeady to ship end of next week V.3 economy stage 1 Cobalt mounts. For the first week of September, I may do a CSS free shipping deal to launch this new product (before some douche copies it lol) For $110.00

kapow! take that! lol
LOL, what are V.3 Economy Stage 1 mounts? I make 310whp does it help my SS/TC the same way your original ones do?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Former Vendor

i have 320 whp and stage 1 mounts so I would say yes. lol
for people who want to save money. u cant see the mounts on ur car do you care how pretty they are? wondering
Old 08-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Well I was considering ZZP mounts and personally they're the ugliest of the bunch, so me personally I don't care. As long as they work, I'm happy. If they look like a terrible mess then yeah I guess it'll be hard to buy, but if they look basic then no, I don't see a problem with that.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM

im having vibrations, wich zzp mount should i get the front or rear one? my car is lowered with SSC springs on LNF struts

my car is a 2006 cobalt ss supercharge (LSJ)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Shogokuma
im having vibrations, wich zzp mount should i get the front or rear one? my car is lowered with SSC springs on LNF struts

my car is a 2006 cobalt ss supercharge (LSJ)
You have other issues I will try to help you with, as you have emailed me, and hopefully isolate and identify what works for you to fix the vibration. Cheers, hope you can enjoy your ride fully soon!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM

wait wait wait... threads like this pop up all the time an they usually go about the same way this one's goin
some1 said somethin in another thread about ZZP's rotated mounts (for lowered cars) just having different locations for the bolts, but other than that, its basically the same..

Would somethin like that be "better" for lowered cars? like on low springs an/or coilovers??
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 AM

thank you power race parts
Old 09-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts

kapow! take that! lol
Where can I buy these mounts? V.3 Economy Mounts? Are the free shipping still available
Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
wait wait wait... threads like this pop up all the time an they usually go about the same way this one's goin
some1 said somethin in another thread about ZZP's rotated mounts (for lowered cars) just having different locations for the bolts, but other than that, its basically the same..

Would somethin like that be "better" for lowered cars? like on low springs an/or coilovers??
This is true, that was me who posted that. Tim said the only different is the bolt hole location.