Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

passenger’s side intermediate driveshaft mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah you're right... you just argued for a week that everyone that disagreed with you was an idiot, but then when you finally realize you're wrong, you want everyone to just forget it all.

funniest thing was that 2 posts up you still say you have to "hear enough negative things from a few reliable sources" for you to realize that chopping your springs is an idiotic idea. I guess no one here is qualified enough to tell you that even after half of this website argued with you on what you supposedly knew and what we didn't.

it's a sad day when you realize there's no santa claus
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

I will get this low again, just not with chopped springs. There's a few people I trust on this forum and it's certainly not you or like...2 other people that talk a lot of **** to me. I don't expect you to forget it but what the **** man I was trying to understand it for myself before I go modding my car the way YOU want me to. I can now pick apart the entire suspension system on this car and what other way to learn than to **** it up and rebuild it? sure I'm an ******* for defending myself because you guys were calling me a moron and ****, that doesn't help the situation at all. if you would have explained it correctly, I would have agreed right away! but instead you're taking credit for something that you never even pointed out in the first place! so quit it please.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

what do you mean i never pointed out the issue in the first place? i told you on page #1 you would break the expensive axles just like your oem ones did. verified that on page #2. mocked you on page #3 for it, explained about not having the clearance specifically a few posts after that on page #3 and of which 3 posts later you claim we had no idea what we were talking about because we didn't agree with you

i can go on and on, but it doesn't matter because you are too dumb to listen to anyone that knows what they're talking about
Old 11-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Banned

I'm done arguing, I'm onto fixing my car now, not this ****.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Good luck with the intermediate shaft. Some have had an easy time with taking it out. Mine was a bitch and required a torch and cutting lol. Make sure you top your transfer case up with oil if you lose any after removing the shaft.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM

i've replaced mine twice on my redline

first one was at 30k miles, mostly stock but i had a lot of autox and launch's on them so i thought it was from wheel hop

second was at 70k with only highway a dd useage.. 100% no abuse but i had bwoody solid motor mounts and no wheel hop.

i can find nothing as to why they do this my second one i had welded full in the back to try and help stiffen it up. still broke!

i'm on stock suspension, stock wheels, stock sway bars, stock end links, stock struts

you also wont need to replace the abs sensor and mount since only the 04 rl have that part.. every other LSJ has just the shaft.. they run around $450.. might as well replace your tranny fluid while your at it since you loose some when u pull out the shaft

http://www.******************/forums...-car-into.html

problem comes from the bearing.. it goes bad and the intermediate shaft starts to wobble which at highway speed turns into quite a constant vibration that just makes the mount crack

if i can find the video i'll post it.. the shaft has roughly .040 of play from side to side while it was still in the mount.. i'll bet you pink slips yours is the same way

Last edited by crazybrew609; 11-12-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

yes, it done have quite a bit of play. I thank you for that information. I am now sure this is not a direct result of the axle failure. I have had the vibrations for quite some time now I thought it was because my hub was so worn. I replaced the hub and it was still there, 2 days later my axle broke. This is interesting, I still have some angle finding to do to figure out what the deal is with the cv's actually bottoming out but this may prove previous theories wrong. and I just changed my trans fluid! it never freakin' ends! btw do you work at a machine shop? looks like you have access to a block boiler and a tig welder :jealous:
Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deep breath:
the axles breaking are generally a function of hop. You have OTT mounts and new axles. Good.
The intermediate shaft bearing can wear out in normal service if there is salt and moisture around, the bearing is not that well protected. As someone pointed out only the 04 RL has the vss on this shaft. Crazy brew has it figured out...

The bracket can break, the shaft can weld itself (spin the splines) in the diff case, all sorts of bad things can happen.

Lowering the car too much doesnt help. Dont cut your shafts, please. I dont think you are too low but its hard to tell the car may be sitting on the bump stops all around, cant tell from piktars

The intermediate shaft is expensive over a 100 bucks; the bearing about 60 bucks. make sure the intermediate shaft boot is in place and assemble the splines with some never seize when you put it back together.

There are other issues. The upper mounts, and what shape they are in is important. When you assemble your new OTT mounts, take some weight off the motor under the trans/pan with a piece of wood to spread the load, and balance the motor so the cross bolts on the rotated mounts slide in and out easily. To acheive this you need to loosen the three bolts on each of the upper mounts so they can move enough to take up the rotation. There is just enough movement there.

Your drivers side mount may be damaged. Stay tuned in about a week or so OTTP will have a solution for that long term mount issue that few folks have recongized.

Dont lock up the upper mounts or install the lower mounts without relaxing the upper mounts/

If you need a set of stock springs I can send you some free plus shipping./

Best bet is to buy Pedders from OTTP on the group buy and be fast and somewhat lower than stock.

Good luck and thanks for calming down. The forum can be your friend. Not everyone , however will steer you straight so you gotta be careful. Especially if you come across as a jackass, which may have happened in the beginning.

Enjoy your ride...
Old 11-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Banned

why thank you very much. I've been researching the hell out of this. I used a bottle jack and a 2x4 to get the mounts in, took me about an hour for both mounts if even that. the mount is already ordered it's expected by tuesday. I'm gonna have to rock the chopped springs cuz I emptied my wallet on that ottp stuff so I'll just drive like a grandma and not even boost til I'm on some real suspension. bags are looking very good right now since I have some connections for that. coils are most likely to happen. I'll get it sorted out. I am just sutbborn and want to be rly low. my problem, call me crazy just don't call me late for dinner.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:23 PM

you need some chevy non chopped springs out of a yard stat. when are you gonna learn?
Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

never.