Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF

Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
This thread needs to get cleaned up and moved to the how-to section.
this I agree with, not sure why its not in how-to to start with.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cause there already is one. i do like johns pictures though. i should have taken more.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Steal them for yours, lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

i stuck this one so it'll be at the top of the drivetrain page. and it actually pulls up more often from searching than mine comes up.

added a link to it at the top of mine as well
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Steal them for yours, lol.
i'm not in to the whole stealing thing..
Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the LNF mounts on my 07 LSJ, and I have vibrations. I did not support the engine from the bottom when I removed the old mounts, so I know things shifted. I jacked up the trans to get the new mounts to line up with the cross bolts. If the engine/trans shifted side to side, how do I move it back and get everything lined up right? I now have 4 jack stands so I can support it in 4 corners to keep the car level.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
start the process again. support the motor; loosen the top mounts. relax the rear and then the front mount. remove one bolt from the passenger side top mount and look at its relative position, that will tell the story. Go to the first page of this thread, second last photo, will show you the correct positioning of that mount, which should tell the story. Understand this DOES NOT apply to LNF replacement mounts front and rear, ONLY Powell rotated mounts.

good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 PM

When I loosen the bolts on the top engine mount, I loosened the center bolt long enough to see its orientation. It is angled facing the right. Should it be perpendicular to to the plate with the oversized holes? Does this indicate how the motor/trans is out of balance and which direction I need to correct? I tried redoing it yesterday, and I also loosened the transmission side upper mount. I supported the bottom with a jack, but was not sure if I should jack up the trans until there is no weight on the mount or just enough to support the trans?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by freeman
When I loosen the bolts on the top engine mount, I loosened the center bolt long enough to see its orientation. It is angled facing the right. Should it be perpendicular to to the plate with the oversized holes? Does this indicate how the motor/trans is out of balance and which direction I need to correct? I tried redoing it yesterday, and I also loosened the transmission side upper mount. I supported the bottom with a jack, but was not sure if I should jack up the trans until there is no weight on the mount or just enough to support the trans?
go to picture 9 on the first post. Thats what it should look like. It is entirely possible, as the drivers side upper mount has no capability of resisting fender side to fender side movement for the engine trans unit to slide towards the passenger side.

support the trans/engine with a jack and a piece of wood, doing your best to balance it equally by placing the jack and wood under the trans by the engine pan slightly rearward.
Then loosen the top bolts and the lower mount cross bolts, and use a prybar to move the motor back by levering between the passenger side rail and the engine. Dont pry on the tensioners, or the pullies or the alternator etc.

read the how to again?

hope this helps
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM

question... can you use the ttr engine mount with these? or is the stock mount the better option? right now i have the ttr installed, but i have an extra stock mount i can put back on.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor

its best to use the stock mount as it has extra large holes that permit rotation. If you use a non stock mount you are best to machine the engine mounting block for the mount. that requires some careful dimensional changes, so we just make a new block and it is not cheap to make. stock mount is best. any other mount will increase vibration and may eventually cause some damage to the other mounts .
Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 PM

ok cool thanks. stock mount it is!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
NOTE: there are four mounts on any delta. The front and rear ones are quite firm, rubber inserts with voids.

the top mounts, are actually referred to as “torque axis” mounts. The passenger one is quite firm the drivers side is very soft. Very soft.

so when on jack stands, its possible for the motor to slide over to the soft side and compress the new front mount to one side.
Is there a way to avoid this? Can I put a second jack under the engine for support? I'm going to order the rotated mount soon and going to do the install myself but I don't want to screw up everything. Also, would you recommend the mount with coilovers?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SS89
Is there a way to avoid this? Can I put a second jack under the engine for support? I'm going to order the rotated mount soon and going to do the install myself but I don't want to screw up everything. Also, would you recommend the mount with coilovers?
I prefer the car to be on four jack stands to avoid this issue. Regardless of coil overs dropped up down or inside out, rotated mounts on the manual shift delta platform cars really helps fix power hop.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
I did it on 2 stands but had a jack under the oil pan the entire time to make sure the engine didn't move. I think I had to push the engine a bit up top with a prybar... can't remember, was too busy ripping out OTTP's garbage instead of remembering the exact steps. lol

The rotated mount w/ the LNF rear trans mount is da bomb diggity. Really helps the car put the power down without breaking things...
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

I Installed my stage 1 John Powell Mount yesterday and I am getting a lot of vibes under 1000 RPM. If I accelerate at low rpm's or in reverse I feel the transmission shaking. We tried loosening all the bolts and tried rebalancing the motor and it seems to have helped but there are still a lot of vibes under 1000 rpm.

Is that normal or should I keep trying to rebalance the motor?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor

impossible to tell. does it change a/c on/off? Hard not to be
worrying about the install or other things - exhaust contact with body etc.

These mounts are not stock and the NVH is different as the absorption capability is different with a smaller harder insert.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM

It does make a difference with the a/c on... it makes it vibrates more. When I am driving I don't get any vibes. It is when I am idling that I get a lot more vibes then before. When I am baking up I get vibrations and when I release the clutch slowly at low Rpm that will make the car vibrate.

Would those thing be considered normal with the new mount?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor

a/c on/off yes. Clutch release vibration? no clue. Check driver mod, install, clutch. clutch should only be released slowly to the point of take up at that moment on its a switch, and for all forward gears beyond first.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM

My Mechanic friend recommended not to jack under the oil pan so we jacked the right side of the motor and I think that might have caused the motor to be slightly off balance. I will try loosening all the bolt again while putting the jack under the oil pan to rebalance everything.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kap_Kayaker
My Mechanic friend recommended not to jack under the oil pan so we jacked the right side of the motor and I think that might have caused the motor to be slightly off balance.

Umm, obviously jacking on an aluminum oil pan is a bad idea, but did you miss this?

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
1. First job is to get the car properly secured , well up in the air and on jack stands. Then using a piece of wood to spread jacking load, gently support the engine at the transmission differential area.

Now go up top and release a couple/three turns the top passenger side mount bolts. (15 mm socket)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Haha nope that is how we did it. But I was thinking maybe if I would of supported the passenger side a little more while all the bolts were loose I would be getting less vibrations.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor

There is no doubt that the motor and transt can shift sideways during the install particularly if you jack the car up at the front only. Good luck
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 PM

I just got stage 2 rotated mounts from a member on here and installed them yesterday at work using a lift. I had terrible vibrations however I did not see this how-to. I then got online last night and read I needed to loosen the top 3 engine mounts bolts to let it settle and then retorque, I did this at work today and I still have vibrations. After skimming through this thread, and I mean really skimming, I think the solution would be to re-rack the vehicle, loosen all of the lower rear mount bolts including the through bolt, front mount bolts including through bolt, and the top 3 engine mount bolts then re-torque following the sequence in the how-to. Am I wrong in thinking this or is this correct? Hopefully John can advise.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Former Vendor

^^^ yupper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF