Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF - Page 4 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Drivetrain
Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF >

Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF

Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF

Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 PM
  #76  
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 01-27-11
Location: Fort Wayne, IN. USA
Posts: 402
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Thanks John!
smitzk01 is offline  
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-15-12
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,979
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Since im getting my gmpp clutch and cabs installed soon, do you think the mounts are a job my mechanic could do without seeing this how to? Im not too confident with this install knowing that the engine and trans could shift. And mine are for a lnf so to loosen the top bolts I would have to remove my intake, correct?
tuned08ss is offline  
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-15-12
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,979
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
^anyone
tuned08ss is offline  
Old 05-17-2014, 02:34 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
chris88z24's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: In the garage patching rust holes
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Yes, easily.
chris88z24 is offline  
Old 05-17-2014, 02:37 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-15-12
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,979
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24 View Post
Yes, easily.
My mechanic wouldnt have a problem is what you're saying, correct?

Is this the same way u would install stock tranny mounts?
tuned08ss is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM
  #81  
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-28-13
Location: CT
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed the rotated mounts and honestly believe they are backyard engineered. The front mount was dimensionally the same as the stock - hole to hole. The rear mount was approx. a 3/8in taller. I had to loosen the upper mounts and jack up the motor and still the rear mount was forced together. The upper mounts support the weight of the motor. The lower mounts prevent rotation. Simply increasing the height of the rear mount causes much weight of the motor to be transferred to that rear mount. How many of you have had these mounts installed for more than a year. I suspect the rear mount bushing or the mount itself will fail due to overload.

I ended up removing my rotated rear mount and installed GM part 20814995. This mount is superior to the original and there is no need to force things together. I kept the aftermarket front mount. This configuration is obviously not rotated but certainly stiffened the entire drivetrain. I experienced minimal vibration with the rotated mounts and none with the GM rear mount.

The whole idea of loosening the upper mounts to let the bolts fall to one side of the oversized holes is clearly ill conceived. You can swing the motor front to back by redesigning the lower mounts but lifting the motor with the rear mount is just wrong. Clearly the mounts being sold are the cause of your vibrations.

Sorry but I cannot recommend the rotated mounts.
mjtct is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM
  #82  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-25-11
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 6,199
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
It's hard to know where to start replying to your post. As we say the rear mount is raised and the front is lowered and as a result the middle torque axis mounts must allow the motor to move forward ( that is very logical up 10 mm rear dorm 10 mm front) you then day "ill conceived"
So how do you figure that? We are not moving the engine a whole lot. We first made these mounts with stock housings. Then expensive alloy. Now less expensive steel TIG welded in
A jig fixture and powdercoated. Over the years since 2004 we have made hundreds of mounts. Occasionally someone comes along like you. Calls it not good then sticks the rear spacer in a stock mount setup. That's just sad. My take. Yes I developed these mounts in 2004 and the logic the work and the validation was done inside a GM performance division race program
That they hired me and paid me to produce. By all
Accounts it was successful

And here I am driving a delta with rotated mounts and living the good life everyday without wheel
Hop. SMH
Powell Race Parts is offline  
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM
  #83  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-25-11
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 6,199
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mjtct View Post
I installed the rotated mounts and honestly believe they are backyard engineered. The front mount was dimensionally the same as the stock - hole to hole. The rear mount was approx. a 3/8in taller. I had to loosen the upper mounts and jack up the motor and still the rear mount was forced together. The upper mounts support the weight of the motor. The lower mounts prevent rotation. Simply increasing the height of the rear mount causes much weight of the motor to be transferred to that rear mount. How many of you have had these mounts installed for more than a year. I suspect the rear mount bushing or the mount itself will fail due to overload.

I ended up removing my rotated rear mount and installed GM part 20814995. This mount is superior to the original and there is no need to force things together. I kept the aftermarket front mount. This configuration is obviously not rotated but certainly stiffened the entire drivetrain. I experienced minimal vibration with the rotated mounts and none with the GM rear mount.

The whole idea of loosening the upper mounts to let the bolts fall to one side of the oversized holes is clearly ill conceived. You can swing the motor front to back by redesigning the lower mounts but lifting the motor with the rear mount is just wrong. Clearly the mounts being sold are the cause of your vibrations.

Sorry but I cannot recommend the rotated mounts.
Just re reading your post here. When did you get these mounts? Recently?

And who's mounts are they?
Powell Race Parts is offline  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM
  #84  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
I've been running Powells S1 mount with rear SS/TC mount since 2010.

No vibrations & wheel hop next to none. They work.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
chris88z24's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Location: In the garage patching rust holes
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Same here. That guy needs to go do some more measuring. First of all, the bolt hole dimensions are always going to be the same, otherwise the mount won't bolt to the trans/frame. Secondly, the upper mounts do prevent rotation, which is why the ingalls torque dampener was so effective when these cars first came out.
chris88z24 is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM
  #86  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 13,454
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've reccomended these to anyone who asks.

Although mine were not purchased from Powell, they are still his design, and a fantastic part.
I noticed a difference almost immediately - although it's hard to remember what the difference was because I have been runnign them for so long.

IMO, mjtct is either an outright tool, or looking to discredit a fantasitc part for some sort of round about gain.
soundjunky is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM
  #87  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky View Post
I've reccomended these to anyone who asks.

Although mine were not purchased from Powell, they are still his design, and a fantastic part.
I noticed a difference almost immediately - although it's hard to remember what the difference was because I have been runnign them for so long.

IMO, mjtct is either an outright tool, or looking to discredit a fantasitc part for some sort of round about gain.
I went from SS/TC mounts w/ Ingalls TD to Powell's S1 mount w/ rear SS/TC mount, and never looked back.
Staged07SS is offline  
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM
  #88  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,145
Thanked 369 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by mjtct View Post
I installed the rotated mounts and honestly believe they are backyard engineered. The front mount was dimensionally the same as the stock - hole to hole. The rear mount was approx. a 3/8in taller. I had to loosen the upper mounts and jack up the motor and still the rear mount was forced together. The upper mounts support the weight of the motor. The lower mounts prevent rotation. Simply increasing the height of the rear mount causes much weight of the motor to be transferred to that rear mount. How many of you have had these mounts installed for more than a year. I suspect the rear mount bushing or the mount itself will fail due to overload.

I ended up removing my rotated rear mount and installed GM part 20814995. This mount is superior to the original and there is no need to force things together. I kept the aftermarket front mount. This configuration is obviously not rotated but certainly stiffened the entire drivetrain. I experienced minimal vibration with the rotated mounts and none with the GM rear mount.

The whole idea of loosening the upper mounts to let the bolts fall to one side of the oversized holes is clearly ill conceived. You can swing the motor front to back by redesigning the lower mounts but lifting the motor with the rear mount is just wrong. Clearly the mounts being sold are the cause of your vibrations.

Sorry but I cannot recommend the rotated mounts.
Who's mounts are you talking about?

I've been on Powell's mounts for over a year and no vibe, no wheel hop, but I also installed them correctly following Powell's install guide.
ECaulk is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 01:27 AM
  #89  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 10-23-12
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 5,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Powell front mount and rear LNF mount has been awesome. Yeah slight vibrations but only at idle and with load (say AC on). Don't know what that guy is even talking about.
andrewcarr1993 is offline  
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 AM
  #90  
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member
iTrader: (25)
 
Staged07SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-30-07
Location: NEPA
Posts: 14,331
Thanked 191 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
My Powell front mount and rear LNF mount has been awesome. Yeah slight vibrations but only at idle and with load (say AC on). Don't know what that guy is even talking about.
He either....

A. Didnt install them correctly
B. Doesnt understand how they actually work
C. All of the above

I vote C.
Staged07SS is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Staged07SS For This Useful Post:
Powell Race Parts (02-12-2016)
Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: 10-23-12
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 5,142
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
D. Doesn't actually have rotated Powell mounts.
andrewcarr1993 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewcarr1993 For This Useful Post:
Powell Race Parts (02-12-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 PM
  #92  
Moderator
Platinum Member
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-18-14
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 14,641
Thanked 429 Times in 403 Posts
Bump and subd
Snail_SS is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Snail_SS For This Useful Post:
Powell Race Parts (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 PM
  #93  
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: 04-25-11
Location: Port Perry
Posts: 6,199
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
the naysayer disappeared into the ether
Powell Race Parts is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Powell Race Parts For This Useful Post:
07MetallicSC (02-14-2016)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ThoR294
Wanted - What to buy - All categories
4
10-04-2015 09:44 PM
justinchinn
General Cobalt
3
10-02-2015 01:18 PM
OrangeCoba
Suspension
1
10-01-2015 11:00 PM
importkiller
Problems/Service/Maintenance
11
09-30-2015 08:18 PM
nathan112i
Featured Car Showcase
41
09-30-2015 08:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotated mount installation M35 LSJ/LNF


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.