Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Rough running 2.4 under load at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough running 2.4 under load at low rpm

Ok so to start out the car is a 07 ss 2.4 auto with about 95k on it. Also it has a cone filter and intake. So here’s what it’s doing. After the car warms up it will start stuttering and stalling at low rpm under load. In neutral/park it’s pretty much fine, turn on the AC and it starts running rough. Then when you drop it in gear it coughs and ends up dying. If I’m careful I can coax it past it sometimes then once it gets past 1-1.5k it’ll smooth out and have full power (almost hopped a curb playing with it). When it’s cold it doesn’t do it. It’s started and then progressively got way worse over the last 4-6 times driving it.

So far I cleaning the TB, then hit the pull-a-part and grabbed a TB, MAP, and MAF and swapped em out and that didn’t help ether. Thinking it through is there any common vac leaks like manifold gaskets or anything? I’m about to go get some starting fluid and spray it down and see if I find any and I’ll post back with results.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Well, first thing are you getting any codes? With your symptoms it seems like you should have a Check Engine Light (CEL). In my experience with my own 2.4l, it sounds like you at least have some vac leaks somewhere. Go to your local autozone, advanced auto...etc and ask them for a code scan, its free.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 AM

I completely forgot to mention the best part being that it still hasn’t thrown a CEL. The bulb still works when you turn the key on during the guage check. But I have yet to ever get a CEL. I have one of those Bluetooth obd2 adpators and have been meaning to check it anyway but I can’t find it after our resent move. It’s getting bad enough that I can’t convince the wife to let me drive anywhere anymore ether.

as far as vacuum leaks I didn’t get a chance to work on it last night but I’ll make sure to get to it today.

Last edited by Oldchevy4x4; 09-30-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Well half a can of either later the mistery has yet to be solved. I let it warm up till it started to run rough with the A/C on and sprayed around the intake gasket area as best I could, evap lines, air cleaner/intake joints, sensors, TB. Never got a reaction out of it. So I’m back to the drawing board. Thinking about it a little more would it make sense to pull the evap hose off the intake and plug it just to full out a leak there?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Check/change you plugs you're almost at 100k so it isnt going to hurt to do that anyways.

The running rough down low and smoothing out when higher rpm you might get your battery and alternator tested to verify they're good and not putting additional load.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:09 PM

The plugs are new. I did the timing chain about 2k again and also replaced the plugs with bosch. So I cleaned out the area under the TB where the map and pcv are connected too. Then I cleaned the gasket and the slot it sits it. I also swapped the old tb back on that i cleaned (got lazy when I swapped on the second tb and didn’t clean it first). Started it up and waited around with the ac off to let it relearn the tb. Then I put it in reverse and tapped the throttle and it died again. Restarted and did it again and it fluttered a little bit but stayed running. Couple more times got progressively better till even with ac I couldn’t get it to do it at all. So I drove around the apartment complex and couldn’t get it to do it anymore. So unless it comes back I’m starting to think I had a combination of problems. The best I can come up with is I’ve known the battery is on its last legs and between that having the alt working hard, the ac on, and the dirty everything it just didn’t have the torque right off idle and would stall.

So I need to go actually give it a good drive and make sure but it seems to be good and I guess I’ll finally cave and get a new battery.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldchevy4x4
Ok so to start out the car is a 07 ss 2.4 auto with about 95k on it. Also it has a cone filter and intake. So here’s what it’s doing. After the car warms up it will start stuttering and stalling at low rpm under load. In neutral/park it’s pretty much fine, turn on the AC and it starts running rough. Then when you drop it in gear it coughs and ends up dying. If I’m careful I can coax it past it sometimes then once it gets past 1-1.5k it’ll smooth out and have full power (almost hopped a curb playing with it). When it’s cold it doesn’t do it. It’s started and then progressively got way worse over the last 4-6 times driving it.

So far I cleaning the TB, then hit the pull-a-part and grabbed a TB, MAP, and MAF and swapped em out and that didn’t help ether. Thinking it through is there any common vac leaks like manifold gaskets or anything? I’m about to go get some starting fluid and spray it down and see if I find any and I’ll post back with results.
Is this an issue that got worse over time or happened all the sudden one day?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:08 PM

It started one day but would smooth out after a little bit and got worse until it was almost undrivable. I drove it this morning to work and after I was almost there it decided it had enough and started doing so bad it stalled 3 times just trying to get though the gate and parked. BUT, it finally threw codes and a CEL!. So after work it started fine (only does it hot) and I quickly got to o’reillys and had them scan it. It had numerous codes including camshafts position sensor A. Replaced that in the parking lot and now it finally runs like a dream again!