Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Sticking in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticking in gear.

My brother and I installed a new clutch about a week ago and ever since my car seems to be sticking in gear. Like while getting off an off ramp and I try to through it in neutral I can't just tap it down out of 5th it sticks and I have to use some force behind it. It seems like it sticks more the faster I'm going in the gear... My question is what is causing this? There is no air in the clutch and my brother thinks it's something happening this my tranny just a coincidence that it started after the clutch install..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, the clutch is drragging. I bet engagement is very close to the floor also. I had the same issues and it got worse in cold weather the fall after I put a clutch in. Vac bleeding didn't get all the air out even after several times. Manually bled it from the fitting on top of the clutch housing several times and it finally got all the air out.

It gets trapped in the slave and until it works it's way up the line, you can't get it out. Best solution would be to pressure bleed it at the slave when changing the clutch I suppose.

Keep bleeding it on top of the housing every few days until you get it.

Put a hose on the fitting into a jar of clean fluid, open the fitting, depress the clutch, close the fitting, raise the pedal. Repeat until you are pleased and repeat a few days later.

I hope you put in the proper trans fluid and not some GL-5 LSD crap. Our tranny's need a GL-4 fluid like the GM LNF fluid (Castrol SynTrans) or Redline MT-85. The wrong fluid will also make the gears 'sticky' like a dragging clutch does.