Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Torque steer like a mofo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque steer like a ****!

Alright guys I need you help once again, I did a quick search but didn't really find the answer i'm looking for.

Every since I got the car tuned the torque steer is crazy with the numbers I have, so crazy that it has almost caused me to wreck the car more than once. Its pretty scary when you step on the gas and the car heads for the middle median.

Are there any products out there that help reduce or possibly eliminate torque steer, or does anyone have any idea what might help? I am looking into a 300+whp daily driver and do not want to add anymore power until I solve this problem. What happens if my dad decides to pass a car and the steering wheel gets yanked out of his hand, thats what I'm worried about. I know to expect it but no one else does.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

thought you were getting rid of the balt?

you could also accelerate slower
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by brickerenator
thought you were getting rid of the balt?

you could also accelerate slower
No I made 4 payments on it to shut the bank up, so i'm good for the time being. I had to borrow off my 401k but its all good i'm not worried about it.

Most of the time I drive like a normal person and accelerate pretty normal but when I do decide to get on it its hard as hell to controll the car.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I always wondered if drag bags would help with torque steer. If torque steer is caused by less weight on the front tires it should help to shift the weight back to the front.

Oh and I don't think it will get better with that 50 shot you are proposing to add
Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwhitten
No I made 4 payments on it to shut the bank up, so i'm good for the time being. I had to borrow off my 401k but its all good i'm not worried about it.

Most of the time I drive like a normal person and accelerate pretty normal but when I do decide to get on it its hard as hell to controll the car.
4 payments at once? or over 4 months? because if you pay any extra in one month, usually you still owe the next month.

as far as torque steer, it's one of the side effects of having a front wheel drive car. tell you father about it if he's going to be driving the car, and show him how bad it is so he knows what to expect.

i don't remember ever seeing any discussions on ways to cut it down. it's something that comes along with a fwd car with some power.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
4 payments at once? or over 4 months? because if you pay any extra in one month, usually you still owe the next month.

as far as torque steer, it's one of the side effects of having a front wheel drive car. tell you father about it if he's going to be driving the car, and show him how bad it is so he knows what to expect.

i don't remember ever seeing any discussions on ways to cut it down. it's something that comes along with a fwd car with some power.
I paid 4 payments at once, but it was almost 2 months behind because of the hurricane that hit down here and the extra 2 payments are just a fallback I already checked with the bank and they said I can do it that way I still intend on making every payment from now on but assuming something comes up I will have that saftey net for at least 2 months.

Now back to the question at hand the torque steer is unbelieveable if I cannot figure something out then I will not be adding anymore power to the car.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of torque steer on front wheel drive cars. If you stiffen the suspension up a bit and lower it that will help, but you can't get rid of it. The main reason for torque steer is because one axle is shorter then the other due to the motor being mounted transversely.

I watched a girl wreck a brand new SS/SC at the dealership. I was getting service done and waiting for my car. She just got done signing the papers on the car and as she pulled out of the dealership lot she floored it and the torque steer took her right into the guard rail.

My advice is to not let anyone drive your car. If you do let someone drive it, make sure you tell them what will happen if they try to get on it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of torque steer on front wheel drive cars. If you stiffen the suspension up a bit and lower it that will help, but you can't get rid of it. The main reason for torque steer is because one axle is shorter then the other due to the motor being mounted transversely.

I watched a girl wreck a brand new SS/SC at the dealership. I was getting service done and waiting for my car. She just got done signing the papers on the car and as she pulled out of the dealership lot she floored it and the torque steer took her right into the guard rail.

My advice is to not let anyone drive your car. If you do let someone drive it, make sure you tell them what will happen if they try to get on it.
I didn't figure I could get rid of it but any little bit of it that disappears is good I was planning on lowering it around 2" with coiloves all the way around it and then a solid engine and tranny mount or at least poly mounts. Do you think this will help or hurt it? I just have to remind my self when I'm driving it hard that its going to pull really hard to the left.

What if I shim 1 side of the engine up a little? I read somewhere that that would help.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Your dad would floor it to make a pass? Jezz sounds a little unnecessary. Are you really not strong enough to hold the wheel straight?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by INDColtsFan18
Your dad would floor it to make a pass? Jezz sounds a little unnecessary. Are you really not strong enough to hold the wheel straight?
I siad I can handle it if I remember to expect it when you have 286hp to the wheels of a FWD car then you can judge me and call me weak but until you drive a cobalt with that much power then lay off you have no idea what I'm talking about. I can floor in in second and the first thing the car does is head for the meadian I can controll it but its not esasy thats the whole point of this thread I spend allot of energy tryin gto keep the car straight when I should be focusing on driving. Oh and yes my dad will floor it to pass someone he is in hios 50's but he drives like hes in his teens when hes behind the wheel of my car. I don't mind it because hes having fun and if anything breaks he will fix it.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't know the torque steer we with 280+whp have...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't figure I could get rid of it but any little bit of it that disappears is good I was planning on lowering it around 2" with coiloves all the way around it and then a solid engine and tranny mount or at least poly mounts. Do you think this will help or hurt it? I just have to remind my self when I'm driving it hard that its going to pull really hard to the left.

What if I shim 1 side of the engine up a little? I read somewhere that that would help.
I don't know if you can shim the motor or not. You would have to look and see, but you don't want to put an angle on the shaft or you could cause more problems then you would fix. Putting in solid mounts should help a little bit as well. After I put my Ingals on my torque steer was quite a bit better.

Originally Posted by SSdan
I can only imagine how the torque steer is. I am probably at like 240 ~ 245 at the wheels and even at that the torque steer can be pretty rough...

Last edited by rnjmur; 10-28-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Well damn I was under the impression the torque steer us LS/LT guys were dealing with was due to no limited slip diff..
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
Well damn I was under the impression the torque steer us LS/LT guys were dealing with was due to no limited slip diff..
I got the ss/tc but I do not have the LSD thats might be some of the problem naybe I should look into getting a LSD installed.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Best thing to do is keep your hands on the wheel and make sure you have a decent set of tires, thats all there is to stop it. Drag bags will only help with wheel hop or at least it did for me.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM

I got the ss/tc but I do not have the LSD thats might be some of the problem naybe I should look into getting a LSD installed.
um yeah. LSD would be the only extra option I would get. I suggest you get it asap. I don't see why anybody would turn it down especially for it's affordable price.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

hate to tell you but lsd doesn't help at all with tq steer, least it did nothing for me
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
Best thing to do is keep your hands on the wheel and make sure you have a decent set of tires, thats all there is to stop it. Drag bags will only help with wheel hop or at least it did for me.
Well i agree they are generally for wheel hop, but I think keeping some weight forward my relieve some of the problems.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Didnt for me just took wheel hop and turned it to spin.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SSdan
I've been in cars with more then that to the wheels. It's really not that bad from what I've seen. Maybe the Balts are worse. I have no intention of going over 300hp in a fwd car anyways. I'd buy a rwd v8 if I feel the need to go faster.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:40 AM

get wider, stickier tires. I didnt notice torque steer until I went to regular DD tires and it is annoying as hell. Im going back to my old ones. (when i can find wtf they were). You are probably pushing around 275ish hp like me so it is a lil rough.

Otherwise, get the lsd
Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM

um yeah. LSD would be the only extra option I would get. I suggest you get it asap. I don't see why anybody would turn it down especially for it's affordable price.
Thats because when I bought my car the one I origionally wanted with the LSD and sun roof was sold 30min before I got there...So there was no option for me I got the last SS on the lot for a month it was the last 08 to. Because of this I only paid 18K for my car.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM

lsd is more help when your turning not in a straight line, i had a little experience with power and lsd.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
hate to tell you but lsd doesn't help at all with tq steer, least it did nothing for me
Thats nice to know
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

I don't know too much about how to reduce torque steer, but things that make sense to are:

1. Torque Dampener
2. Solid/Poly Mounts
3. Wider/Stickier Tires
4. Some type of front lip spoiler to give the front end more traction?
5. I noticed your tuned, maybe the tune eliminated the software the car came with that reduced torque steer, which if the case maybe you can get it back and the problem wont be as bad)

Quick Reply: Torque steer like a mofo!