Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Torque steer like a mofo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just FYI I have LSD in my car and I still have issues w/ torque steer.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM

i know what you mean about the torque steer. . it's just really noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears. . in which case if you're putting that much power to the front wheels at that time you'll be struggling with traction anyway. just put a warning in your car.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigTizzle903
I don't know too much about how to reduce torque steer, but things that make sense to are:

1. Torque Dampener
2. Solid/Poly Mounts
3. Wider/Stickier Tires
4. Some type of front lip spoiler to give the front end more traction?
5. I noticed your tuned, maybe the tune eliminated the software the car came with that reduced torque steer, which if the case maybe you can get it back and the problem wont be as bad)
YOu mean the Power Management swoftware? That only limits boost in 1st gear. The SS/SC's don't have any kind of traction control or anything like what the new SS/TC's have...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM

actually hpt can control boost in all gears for our year cobalt

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
lsd is more help when your turning not in a straight line, i had a little experience with power and lsd.
he speaks the truth. lsd wont help you if your going straight.

Originally Posted by BigTizzle903
I don't know too much about how to reduce torque steer, but things that make sense to are:

1. Torque Dampener
2. Solid/Poly Mounts
3. Wider/Stickier Tires
4. Some type of front lip spoiler to give the front end more traction?
5. I noticed your tuned, maybe the tune eliminated the software the car came with that reduced torque steer, which if the case maybe you can get it back and the problem wont be as bad)
I was going to meantion the torque dampener and mounts too. i don't own any yet but people say they help. cobalt have some harsh torque steer and wheel hop.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
YOu mean the Power Management swoftware? That only limits boost in 1st gear. The SS/SC's don't have any kind of traction control or anything like what the new SS/TC's have...
Yea I wasn't completely sure what it was called or what it did, I just remember reading before the TC came out that they were going to have some type of software to limit torque steer. I know that wouldn't effect SC guys, but the OP has a TC so maybe it's something to consider? Like I said, I don't know all that much I'm just throwing out suggestions and maybe someone else will think of something based on what I said. Lol. I need to stop rambling, having a Chem Lab to write up and zero motivation is bad.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

They all help with wheel hop, i have ran all of them and they all performed the same when it comes to tq steer.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomSS
get wider, stickier tires. I didnt notice torque steer until I went to regular DD tires and it is annoying as hell. Im going back to my old ones. (when i can find wtf they were). You are probably pushing around 275ish hp like me so it is a lil rough.

Otherwise, get the lsd
Actually its 286.7WHP and 328.9WTQ to the wheels on a load bearing dyno.... Tires are in my near future I want some good ones becasue the contis suck I was thinkinf BFG Gforce but I am not sure yet.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM

you could also try a WOT box.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM

I own HPT and have been tuning the boost in 1st and 2nd I don't really spin the tires anymore but it still pulls really hard to the left lol, I guess the warning sticker on the dash would be the best bet but what should it say?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really get that much torque steer during regular driving and when it does happen it's usually when traction is limited due to a poor road surface. I think it's kinda fun when the wheel starts tugging. IDK I do have lsd and mounts though. Maybe a trip to the gym would help you?!

BTW the car has equal length axles...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maxim_X
I don't really get that much torque steer during regular driving and when it does happen it's usually when traction is limited due to a poor road surface. I think it's kinda fun when the wheel starts tugging. IDK I do have lsd and mounts though. Maybe a trip to the gym would help you?!

BTW the car has equal length axles...
I don't need a trip to the gym I can hold the wheel but I would sure like to focus on shifting on time and the road and not the pull of the steering wheel It scares the crap out of everyone who rides with me when they see me fighting with my steering wheel all the way to 3rd. Once I shift into 3rd its fine there is no more TQ steer but 1st and 2nd you better hold on for the ride.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM

the LSD wont help you, it will actually cause more of a left-right tug on the steering wheel. it might actually make the torque steer seem worse than without it.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM

I all most have my boost dialed in where I have no spin so its not a lack of traction either.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM

I have the LSD on mine, (It's completly stock), but I made a U-Turn with it in first, and about 3/4's of the way through the turn, I romped on it, it pulled left, than pulled right & it's pretty damn scary! It was pulling hard both ways. Tuning is the only way I could see you solving this problem.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Yes you're right. LSD will simply yank you back and forth. It happens to me when the roads get wet. It's not as much fun as the LSD in my Camaro LOL
Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 PM

X3 on the LSD yanking you both ways!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rnjmur
Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of torque steer on front wheel drive cars. If you stiffen the suspension up a bit and lower it that will help, but you can't get rid of it. The main reason for torque steer is because one axle is shorter then the other due to the motor being mounted transversely.

I watched a girl wreck a brand new SS/SC at the dealership. I was getting service done and waiting for my car. She just got done signing the papers on the car and as she pulled out of the dealership lot she floored it and the torque steer took her right into the guard rail.

My advice is to not let anyone drive your car. If you do let someone drive it, make sure you tell them what will happen if they try to get on it.
OWWWWWWWWNED I NEVER let anyone drive my car. Then again no one I know can drive stick so....

Originally Posted by jwhitten
I don't need a trip to the gym I can hold the wheel but I would sure like to focus on shifting on time and the road and not the pull of the steering wheel It scares the crap out of everyone who rides with me when they see me fighting with my steering wheel all the way to 3rd. Once I shift into 3rd its fine there is no more TQ steer but 1st and 2nd you better hold on for the ride.
TROOF!

Last edited by chevy cobalt 08; 10-28-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM

The only person besides me who drives my car is my dad and he cosigned for it so if he wants to have a little fun then so be it but in the end if something breaks he will fix it or get me a new one.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by chevy cobalt 08
OWWWWWWWWNED I NEVER let anyone drive my car. Then again no one I know can drive stick so....
Next time post something useful. Next you'll be telling us that all that blue stuff under your hood and the crazy ass trim kit you have reduces torque steer. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation then DON'T POST.

Originally Posted by chevy cobalt 08
TROOF!
Speak English!!! Besides you drive a pretty much stock (performance wise) Cobalt SPORT (not an SS like you like to tell everyone)! You wouldn't even begin to know what torque steer is...

Originally Posted by JPizzle
X3 on the LSD yanking you both ways!
I actually think it's a bit scarier than torque steer when the LSD is yanking you back and forth since you never know when the LSD's gonna pull you the other way. I can pretty much tell after having my car for almost 3 years when I'm gonna have an issue with torque steer and I can be prepared for it. The LSD has a mind of it's own LOL

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 10-28-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM

I actually think it's a bit scarier than torque steer when the LSD is yanking you back and forth since you never know when the LSD's gonna pull you the other way. I can pretty much tell after having my car for almost 3 years when I'm gonna have an issue with torque steer and I can be prepared for it. The LSD has a mind of it's own LOL
Lol. Yea, that's what I'm saying. You don't know where it's gonna pull ya!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 PM

As long as you keep two hands on the wheel and have a nice road surface you will be fine. I made 330 whp all day long and never was swerving lanes
Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 PM

I like the LSD in the winter though
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Next time post something useful. Next you'll be telling us that all that blue stuff under your hood and the crazy ass trim kit you have reduces torque steer. If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation then DON'T POST.

Speak English!!! Besides you drive a pretty much stock (performance wise) Cobalt SPORT (not an SS like you like to tell everyone)! You wouldn't even begin to know what torque steer is...

Let's not go bashing other people because it's the reason so many threads have been locked lately and people banned.

Quick Reply: Torque steer like a mofo!