Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Transmission fluid change on 05 SS/SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um 75w90 is the weight of the gear oil needed to be used

the drain and fill plug are different

**** this stuff I know

what I want to know is will this ATF in my trans for three days with light driving and lets say a total of 60 miles **** up my tranny? Moron mechanics.... and would it be appropriate to tell my mechanic he used the wrong stuff and to replace it free of charge?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
its not really 75w90, although some people have run fancy synthetic stuff with mixed results. best bet is still the oem manual tranny fluid.

driving for a few days with atf isnt going to hurt, but leaving it in there will. atf is quite thin and in a tranny designed for a thicker gear type lubricant the oil is able to drain out of the bearings quicker and wont provide the lubricity needed to keep that tranny alive. you will end up with excess heat and accelerated wear.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
its not really 75w90, although some people have run fancy synthetic stuff with mixed results. best bet is still the oem manual tranny fluid.

driving for a few days with atf isnt going to hurt, but leaving it in there will. atf is quite thin and in a tranny designed for a thicker gear type lubricant the oil is able to drain out of the bearings quicker and wont provide the lubricity needed to keep that tranny alive. you will end up with excess heat and accelerated wear.
kinda what i was thinking/hoping

thanks man,
Old 09-20-2009, 01:32 AM

sorry, must suck having a front licence plate, only rear in pa

Originally Posted by SSchargedSS
hey guys i got my tans fluid changed and they used ATF? The trans feels fine, actually really smoother and quiet but uh is this ok?
Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by irishredheadpa
sorry, must suck having a front licence plate, only rear in pa
If i take the front plate off, I get rolled. If i leave it on, i get away with tint, loud ass exhaust, and driving like an ass on the occasion lol yes i hate it
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Someone take a pic of the fill hole please...I can only find the drain.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharkey
the owners manual says atf but my owners manual has an added in page saying its not atf. likewise, alldata says dexron III, however thats incorrect.

in an ss/sc or ss/tc you NEED to run the special gm fluid.
YES

Ok this mechanic I went to for the first time did ATF (I think he thought I upgraded a cobalt all on my own? lol) Now im worried. So i need part # 21018899 from searching around. Does anyone have any official GM documentation on a 05 ss/sc needed fluid for the trans? Im going to have to call them and have them replace it and really dont want to be bull ****'d or whatnot... and would like to provide info from an official source that I could print out or whatever
YES!!

Originally Posted by stacy_dammit
i thought u didnt have to change ther trans oil cuz it was sealed???really??
NO!

Originally Posted by rallyracer
Do you fill out of the same hole you drain?
NO!

um 75w90 is the weight of the gear oil needed to be used

the drain and fill plug are different

**** this stuff I know

what I want to know is will this ATF in my trans for three days with light driving and lets say a total of 60 miles **** up my tranny? Moron mechanics.... and would it be appropriate to tell my mechanic he used the wrong stuff and to replace it free of charge?
They'd better change it for free.

Originally Posted by rallyracer
Someone take a pic of the fill hole please...I can only find the drain.
Take off your driver tire and there should be the fill hole somewhere above the drain hole. Need an extention to get to it.

Ya know I started a thread titled "Dealer almost destroyed my transmission" with alot of useful informaton last week. But some douchebag fucksocks were being trolling assfucks saying ******* **** and I deleted it.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
YES

YES!!

NO!

NO!

They'd better change it for free.

Take off your driver tire and there should be the fill hole somewhere above the drain hole. Need an extention to get to it.

Ya know I started a thread titled "Dealer almost destroyed my transmission" with alot of useful informaton last week. But some douchebag fucksocks were being trolling assfucks saying ******* **** and I deleted it.

LOL

damn trolling ass *****, lol

why cant people get our trans fluid correct? Like, how hard is it to run a VIN and find out what fluid to use? ****!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:18 PM

so i called my mechanic monday said I have the wrong fluid, they say its right.. the next day I go in, they give me a print out of Dexron III, i go home read it over and realize it WASNT for the F35 (MU3) call em back up leave message, still saying wrong fluid. They get a hold of a gm dealership, they tell them Dexron III. My mechanic asks what part is 21018899 they say "theys gear oil we dont even carry that"..."oh wait hang on give us a few minutes" they come back saying "oh ya its the fluid for the F35 in the SS/SC" my mechanic calls back, they ordered the fluid and will have it today.

Seriously
Another fat point for Css.net!!!!! thanks sharky and Jhohnny for your responses!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That part number is for Saturn Manual Transmission Fluid.

Don't waste your time at a Chevy dealer, 99% sure they won't have it, just go to a Saturn dealer
Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM

pic of fill hole?