Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Weird reverse lockout issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird reverse lockout issue?

So basically ive searched and searched and cant find a fix to my problem, my car starting yesterday will not go into reverse almost as if its completely blocked out and wont even go into gear when the car is turned off. Ive readjusted the left shifter cable several times and have had no luck either.
its a stock shifter and after adjusting the shifter every one of my gears goes in extremely smooth except no reverse, from my knowledge id think that if it had anything to with shifter cables itd affect 2,4, and reverse? and if it happened to be a syncro itd affect another gear such as 5th as well?
could it possibly be an issue with the shifter itself and the reverse lockout mechanism?

i really appreciate any input, this happened so randomly and i dont want to have to keep pushing my car out of a snowy driveway
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM

have u looked at the shifter itself? thats the only thing i can think of if its something small. look to see if the little clip gets over the wall so that it can go into reverse. heres a question. does the shifter go far enough over to get into reverse?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM

well i briefly looked but wasnt sure what to look for and when i unclip the left shifter cable and i can lift the lockout and move it into reverse, when the cables clipped in i cant move it far enough right even with the lockout lifted
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Anybody? Hate to buy a new shifter and it not fix the problem
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Also when the clip is loose it gets over the yellow plastic wall and can get into reverse when it's clipped I cant
Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED: the little rubber/plastic piece (about 4 inches long) that cover the shift cable on the bracket came loose the plastic piece being out of place wouldnt let me pull my shifter into reverse, easily fixed with a ziptie glad this was a simple fix!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by stevenferris1
PROBLEM SOLVED: the little rubber/plastic piece (about 4 inches long) that cover the shift cable on the bracket came loose the plastic piece being out of place wouldnt let me pull my shifter into reverse, easily fixed with a ziptie glad this was a simple fix!
Is there any way to get a pic of this piece????
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem but mins happened wot shifting had to zip tie mine until i got to the dealer and got a whole new cable and shift assembly under warranty
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM

its pretty hard ill try but it might be awhile temp out here is about -15 with the windchill lol, its just a little piece of rubber tube about 6 inches long that covers the cable from the shift bracket to the trans mission, that piece is loose and moves around chances are the plastic ring on there will block you out of reverse
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Nfamous60
i had the same problem but mins happened wot shifting had to zip tie mine until i got to the dealer and got a whole new cable and shift assembly under warranty
My cables n shifter were both replaced under warranty also n i still go thru tha same problem...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

its pretty hard ill try but it might be awhile temp out here is about -15 with the windchill lol, its just a little piece of rubber tube about 6 inches long that covers the cable from the shift bracket to the trans mission, that piece is loose and moves around chances are the plastic ring on there will block you out of reverse
Im not that much of a rush to fix it.....i'll catch you on a warmer day..lol
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nevacme
My cables n shifter were both replaced under warranty also n i still go thru tha same problem...
ONE THING i noticed with my car not sure if u tried it with your when my car doesnt go into reverse if i put it in first and let it creep half a inch then try it goes in smoothly, other times i have to slap her in and its a real nasty clanking sound. so whenwever i go in reverse i try to have a lil forward motion, and its fine.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Did it warm up enough yet to take that pic?

Mine's doing the same things. Have to wrench on the shifted with both hands, slamming it to the right, until I get lucky and it gets in there.

I've tried adjusting the cables every which way, and all other gears are fine, and it's not a lock out issue, as with the boot up, I can clearly see I'm clearing the lock out no prob.
Just like the cable won't let me go far enough to hit reverse.
Looking at ordering cables now, but if this is something that can be fixed with a zip tie...
I'll have to have a look in the morning and see if I can see what you mean.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by nutty21
Did it warm up enough yet to take that pic?

Mine's doing the same things. Have to wrench on the shifted with both hands, slamming it to the right, until I get lucky and it gets in there.

I've tried adjusting the cables every which way, and all other gears are fine, and it's not a lock out issue, as with the boot up, I can clearly see I'm clearing the lock out no prob.
Just like the cable won't let me go far enough to hit reverse.
Looking at ordering cables now, but if this is something that can be fixed with a zip tie...
I'll have to have a look in the morning and see if I can see what you mean.
That post was from 2013. The user is likely no longer active.

Is it the cables that aren't letting you or the transmission? Can you never get it into reverse? I usually go first then go to reverse because sometimes the transmission won't let me go from neutral directly into reverse after sitting.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 AM

I'd say cables. I have to slam it over hard as I can with both hands, and might get it in there.
Just been getting worse and worse. Adjusting the cables does nothing. Seems like what they were mentioning where the cable just isn't letting it get all the way there.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 AM

Yeah, confirmed cable.
Disconnected both sides of the cable and it was still a bitch to try to move.
Tried greasing and working both sides. A little better, but not great by any means.
Guess I'll just keep giving it a shot of grease each time I get in, and hope it works it's way through it over time. Working for now, and cheaper, and less work than the alternative.
If it gets worse guess I'll have to break down and buy new cables, but the price for just a stupid cable is... well... stupid. Same with most parts though I guess..