Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Whine while cruisin, can't determine what it is. help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whine while cruisin, can't determine what it is. help plz

Hi all. I did a search for 'whine, cruising, deaccel' you name it a bunch of searches, couldn't find a problem relating to my exact scenario so I made a post, sorry if this has been answered many a times but here goes;

My 07 SC whines a bit under light acceleration and deacceleration, 0 on up to 40ish. then it's too high a whine to really hear it. It is completely dependent on whether the engine is torqued back hard enough, because on decent accel, the engine is torqued back applying power, no whine. Under light accel, something whines... the whine is proportional to the speed im traveling, not the gear im in or rpm, so i assume it's a noisey wheel hub or cv joint. I then can coast in neutral from 40-0 and i have the whine. So it happens under light-load accel, and deaccel. 1st assumption is wheel hubs (can't tell if i hear if from just the front right or from both...) 2nd guess is cv joint, i don't have any other ideas.

I have filled tranny mounts, but i'm getting the polys for xmas and the upper engine mount. hoping this'll keep my engine stiffer, eliminating this problem and the once-in-a-blue-moon wheel hop i get. Every1 has got the engine bounce i assume, when ya shift into 2nd at about 2500 rpms or so, so ur at about 1300 rpm in 2nd, apply more than 1/3 throttle and the engine does a lil rocking or 2 before stabilizing and applying smooth power... it whines while it does that.

Any definate answers? Only mods I have are small ones, the filled tranny mounts and a air box mod where i drilled a lot of holes into the bottom of the air box cover for a bit more airflow. Any1 know if the stealership will hassle me about the whine because i have modded my mounts? tia.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's how the tranny sounds... also, you shouldn't be giving that much gas that low in the rpm range. if you want to accelerate quickly, run higher into the rpm range. if you're shifting at 2300, there's no reason to give anymore than maybe an inch of gas pedal.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Yep. Mine has some mean gear whine if I am in 3rd gear.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by SprChrg4Life
Hi all. I did a search for 'whine, cruising, deaccel' you name it a bunch of searches, couldn't find a problem relating to my exact scenario so I made a post, sorry if this has been answered many a times but here goes;

My 07 SC whines a bit under light acceleration and deacceleration, 0 on up to 40ish. then it's too high a whine to really hear it. It is completely dependent on whether the engine is torqued back hard enough, because on decent accel, the engine is torqued back applying power, no whine. Under light accel, something whines... the whine is proportional to the speed im traveling, not the gear im in or rpm, so i assume it's a noisey wheel hub or cv joint. I then can coast in neutral from 40-0 and i have the whine. So it happens under light-load accel, and deaccel. 1st assumption is wheel hubs (can't tell if i hear if from just the front right or from both...) 2nd guess is cv joint, i don't have any other ideas.

I have filled tranny mounts, but i'm getting the polys for xmas and the upper engine mount. hoping this'll keep my engine stiffer, eliminating this problem and the once-in-a-blue-moon wheel hop i get. Every1 has got the engine bounce i assume, when ya shift into 2nd at about 2500 rpms or so, so ur at about 1300 rpm in 2nd, apply more than 1/3 throttle and the engine does a lil rocking or 2 before stabilizing and applying smooth power... it whines while it does that.

Any definate answers? Only mods I have are small ones, the filled tranny mounts and a air box mod where i drilled a lot of holes into the bottom of the air box cover for a bit more airflow. Any1 know if the stealership will hassle me about the whine because i have modded my mounts? tia.
Hate to say, they might hassell you over the mounts. I had a similar problem, whining (other than the sc) under accel, and deccel, when I was completely stock. My input shafts were not lubed properly, and then ended up putting in a new trans. I have an 07 SC btw.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM

thanks for the info, all. d4u2s0t, i don't from 1st to 2nd that low unless i'm going slow. i did it just to simulate the engine bounce, and see if when the engine was bouncing if it created the noise and it did. i prefer 3-3500 shifts.

it just seems odd it only whines under light load, and not moderate to heavy load. I'm gonna do the turbo tech mounts after christmas, only because I definately need to kill wheel hop, it's embarrassing and potentially dangerious... plus, if my mounts aren't gonna be stock, i'd rather have em look like I put a modded mount in than what I have now... beige urethane construction adhesive! does the job for the most part.

my whine is the same in any gear though not just 3rd. like is said I also get it coasting in neutral. of course i can't hear the whine going 15-20mph in 1st cuz that's around 3-4k rpms, but 2nd to 5th, 15-40mph i hear the whine. gear selection and rpm are irrelevant... speed is, and load is. could it be input shaft as well? i'll get the mounts then see if it goes away, then hope chevy will fix it up. if they don't and/or won't, at least they have to look at it under warranty, saving me the hassle of diagnosis.

if i go about 20 mph in 2nd with light throttle to maintain the speed, the whine is very loud and it's a lower, slower pitch than say 30 or 40mph. I can hear a very faint oscillation in volume like a WAAaaAAaaAAaa sound.

ok thats all the info i have on the matter. will changing the tranny fluid help? i drive hard, and just hit 25k miles, so it's doubtful...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine has the same, got under the car and i was leaking fluid out of the output shaft going to the passanger side....i also think the bearing is about shot...so tomorrow i am getting them both done.
Just changed the tranny fluid today over to RP 75w90 max gear...