Dyno Results Dyno pictures, videos and dyno results.

Dyno issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Dyno issues

So I hit the dyno in my SS/TC for the first time around an hour ago and I had some issues. An SS/SC went before me without issue. When I was on the dyno I shut off the traction control, then I did the calibration run, then I shut off the ESC just to be sure and attempted my first pull. When I was doing the calibration run the ABS light came on, but I figured that was normal. On the first run I pulled from just under 2K rpm up to around 4K when I felt the car/dyno jump a bit so I let off right away. The operator figured it was just the dyno reloading itself at 4K so I did a second pull. At 4.5K this time the car just kinda shuttered and I lost boost and the rpms weren't raising so I stopped. We pulled the car off the dyno after that and I figured I would come on here to see if anyone would have an idea as to why this happened. Also, he operator didn't have the lookup sheet for 2009 so he used the load rating for a 2007, so I'm not sure if that could have been an issue as well. I took it for a ride on the highway after and the car pulled just fine up to 6k. Any ideas?

Mods: K&N sri, and that's it.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im a witness of this phenomenon on the dyno (a mustang dyno btw). bump for answers!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would make sense that the abs got confused because the front wheels were spinning while the emergency brake was engaged. why dont you just do the pull without the brake on? i'm pretty sure they should have your car properly strapped down and secure. then again i never used my emergency brake on a dyno before.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor

Ive ran plenty with or without the E Brake on without issue. You sure you had ESC OFF?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Sounds kinda like what my car was doing. But I didint have the ebrske on. Dounds like trsction control is engaging
Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 06SS ALL DAY
it would make sense that the abs got confused because the front wheels were spinning while the emergency brake was engaged. why dont you just do the pull without the brake on? i'm pretty sure they should have your car properly strapped down and secure. then again i never used my emergency brake on a dyno before.
I suppose that I could have ran it with the E-brake off because we had it strapped down nice and tight, but since its the school's dyno I think the rule is you have to run with it on for safety.

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
Ive ran plenty with or without the E Brake on without issue. You sure you had ESC OFF?
Yep, I held the traction button down until it said ESC Off. The abs light was already on though when I shut the ESC off since I only had tracton control off for the calibration run. After the first run where I shut it down, the DIC read: Service ABS, Service ESC, Service Traction Control. So the car was kinda freaking out but I just wrote the warnings off as a result of the rear wheels not moving. This is the first car I've ever had on a dyno, let alone the first time I've been around a dyno during operation.

Originally Posted by bogalusahondakiller
Sounds kinda like what my car was doing. But I didint have the ebrske on. Dounds like trsction control is engaging
The more I think about it the more I think it was due to my car rather than something with the dyno. Would the traction control engage with the E-Brake on though?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Former Vendor

Yea, those are just warnings, I keep cancelling them out and they go away for the pull. Never tried it with leaving the messages.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks BYT and everyone for the responses.

So far it sounds like the general consensus is:
  • E-Brake can be on or off, it doesn't matter.
  • The ESC needs to be off before the car even hits the rollers. (Traction control off isn't enough)
  • Clear out any messages. (Ex: Service ABS, ESC, Traction Control, etc.)

I probably won't be able to get on the dyno here again before the semester ends, but the next time I do get on the dyno I will bump this thread and let everyone know if this solved the problem. Thanks again.