Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

2007 SS - Passenger Headlight Keeps Blowing - How to Troubleshoot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SS - Passenger Headlight Keeps Blowing - How to Troubleshoot?

Hello. I have a 2007 SS which keeps blowing a passenger side headlight bulb (Lowbeam). It has been blowing every 2 weeks. Sometimes it will come back on mysteriously. But other times I have to change the bulb and it comes back on.

I've searched and found a few threads and have a few ideas, but can someone help me with a surefire method for troubleshooting to help narrow down the problem? I do have a multimeter if needed.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I will start off by letting you know you only have one headlight bulb, But it has 2 filaments.

This is a strange issue, I am curious if there is anything else on the car that isn't working?

I would swap relay around to see if there is a connection or relay problem and same with fuses see if the problem follows, Maybe there is some dirt in the connection.

Then I would inspect the wiring for cracks,pinches or anything out of the ordinary.

Then Check the headlight harness connector and the headlight connector too, look for corrosion or bent pins or anything like that.

If all this fails then I would replace the bulb and back probe it with your meter and shake the wiring and
check for any spikes or any loss in power or drops.

This should help get you start, Hopefully someone else can chime in as well.

Good luck, Keep us posted
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM

Thanks T Fog. That's a good start, I appreciate it. Yes, very weird that the low beam filament is the one blowing and not the whole bulb. At least in such a short time span.
Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
when the lowbeam fuse blows does the high beam work?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 PM

The fuse doesn't blow at all. But yes, the high beam still works even though the low beam does not.

I'm leaning toward corrosion in the connectors or an open in the wiring of the harness.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 PM

i have the same issue, my fuses are good but my passanger side headlight is tempermental about when it wants to come on (which is when it wants to). i have looked around and i think its the blue three prong connector, one of the prongs looks burnt/corroded. i havnt bought a new harness for it yet, have you checked that?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by T-fog
I will start off by letting you know you only have one headlight bulb, But it has 2 filaments.

This is a strange issue, I am curious if there is anything else on the car that isn't working?

I would swap relay around to see if there is a connection or relay problem and same with fuses see if the problem follows, Maybe there is some dirt in the connection.

Then I would inspect the wiring for cracks,pinches or anything out of the ordinary.

Then Check the headlight harness connector and the headlight connector too, look for corrosion or bent pins or anything like that.

If all this fails then I would replace the bulb and back probe it with your meter and shake the wiring and
check for any spikes or any loss in power or drops.

This should help get you start, Hopefully someone else can chime in as well.

Good luck, Keep us posted
Could you point out which ones are the relays to swap please? I have sort of the same issue but I blow fuses on the driver side and the harness seems to be intact.