Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

2009 USB Radio in a 2007 SS S/C

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 2009 USB Radio in a 2007 SS S/C

Just thought I'd post this up since I wasn't sure it would work. Luckily it did.

Vehicle: 2007 Cobalt SS S/C
Original Radio: RPO US9 (6-disc mp3 + aux)
New Radio: RPO UUI (single disc, usb + aux) (p/n 20758187)

The radio was locked after the initial swap, like so:

So I called a buddy of mine at the dealer. He said he had attempted this swap with another guy before.

Apparently he was able to unlock the other guy's, but no audio came out of the speakers. I asked if I could bring the car in anyway.

I showed up this morning and he told me the BCM did not have the part number for the radio listed, so we essentially were screwed. He said hold on, I have an idea. He took the radio out, got what he referred to as a part number off the back (although it may have been something else ?), and somehow managed to add it to the list of available radios.

Once he did that, blamo! '09 USB radio in an '07!

I'm stoked, especially since my GM Personal Audio Link (p/n 19201522) still works.

Now I can have almost my entire mp3 collection on the 80GB iPod in the drivers side cubby hole, and "cherry picked" music on the USB port for when I don't feel like fumbling around searching for music on the ipod.

Hope this helps anyone considering this swap.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IBTL

jk I really want to see it next time we hang. I'm glad it worked for you. I am slightly jealous about you have a music method that's basically a music hard drive, but doesn't have the cord having to stick out of the faceplate. I like having the mass storage+USB stick option too.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few quick questions? Did your XM radio work once this was done if you have XM? Also, did you also get the bluetooth setup installed or were you just hooking up the new H/U for the USB? I would like to do this but I want to get the bluetooth working as well and not loose my XM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Awesome man! I've been wanting to do this too. So if we did the swap would that p/n # be the same for me/us to get the new radio unlocked and working?

And is it just a direct swap? And I assume the steering wheel controls still work fine too, right?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks, and Tofu if/when you read this: I honestly hope we can still be friends.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Could you provide any more information with this? Like:

What is necessary to install the new radio
The P/N for the '09 radio
Estimated cost of the new radio
Any other caveats that need mentioning.

I would like to do this on my '08 so I can get bluetooth and the USB input.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SKCobalt
I have a few quick questions? Did your XM radio work once this was done if you have XM? Also, did you also get the bluetooth setup installed or were you just hooking up the new H/U for the USB? I would like to do this but I want to get the bluetooth working as well and not loose my XM.
I'm not an XM subscriber, but I still get the XM preview channel even after this swap, so that should indicate that XM is working. (Click the Band button three times to switch between XM and iPod)

^ That was already in place before this H/U though. It is a separate piece of hardware, and XM is added back into the loop by a dealer flash of the BCM.

I mainly got this H/U for the USB functionality.

Bluetooth would have been nice, but that is a separate module somewhere else in the car, and I have a feeling it would have been more difficult to integrate/activate.

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
Awesome man! I've been wanting to do this too. So if we did the swap would that p/n # be the same for me/us to get the new radio unlocked and working?

And is it just a direct swap? And I assume the steering wheel controls still work fine too, right?
My guess is yes for the p/n.

Direct Swap. Steering wheel controls all work. Nothing lost, only gained.

Originally Posted by Rusty
Could you provide any more information with this? Like:

What is necessary to install the new radio
The P/N for the '09 radio
Estimated cost of the new radio
Any other caveats that need mentioning.

I would like to do this on my '08 so I can get bluetooth and the USB input.
All you need to install the new radio is:

A couple of hands and a 9/32 (or 7mm? someone please correct me) socket/screwdriver bit.

The dash trim can literally be pulled off with your hands. The radio is secured by four screws.

Dash trim pieces incldue (in order of removal, from left to right):
  • Black panel at the driver's knees. Place each hand at each end of the bottom of it and pull towards you. It will be loud and scary when it snaps off, but will not break.
  • Silver trim piece with traction control button on it. Just pull like hell. It comes off.
  • Long silver trim piece above the glove box. Just pull.
  • Silver trim for center console. insert fingers in the top two notches that were previously covered by the other trim pieces and pull.
  • Unscrew the four screws that secure the radio
  • Depress the little tabs on each radio harness connector in back, then pull.
  • Just pull on the power connector

Part number is in the first post, it is a link to GM Parts Direct and will show you exactly how much you can expect to spend. BE WARNED though, I think GM is now shipping black radios instead of silver, as evidenced by all new 2010 balts coming with black radios.

No caveats I can think of. It is a very straight forward process. Teardown and reassembly should take 10 minutes barring any troublesome dash panels that refuse to come off. In that case I would suggest a butterknife or something made of hard plastic to help wedge them out.

Hope thats good.

Last edited by Pyros777; 01-27-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 AM

I did the same swap. I love it!

Yeah the tech had to "trick" the BCM into seeing the newer radio. he got it within 45 minutes though.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
Bluetooth would have been nice, but that is a separate module somewhere else in the car, and I have a feeling it would have been more difficult to integrate/activate.

Part number is in the first post, it is a link to GM Parts Direct and will show you exactly how much you can expect to spend. BE WARNED though, I think GM is now shipping black radios instead of silver, as evidenced by all new 2010 balts coming with black radios.
The bluetooth is integrated with the later OnStar boxes.

Correct about the radios. Only black ones available from here on out.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 AM

I did this swap like shortly after the 2009s came out. Installing the radio was easy as hell, and I just had to drive down to my dealer to have them unlock it. They didn't mention anything about having to trick the BCM into seeing the radio, they just weren't sure the programming would work because of the year difference. They tried anyway and it worked so hey cool. I also noticed that as soon as I plugged the 2009 deck in, my turn signal clicking noise changed to a different sound. Yours probably did too, if you haven't yet noticed.

I love the fact that this swap works, cause I haven't used a single CD since I put this thing in. I just pop in my 4GB flash drive and poof instant music.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM

nice bro!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the P/N reference man, I totally missed it in the first post. It's actually not as expensive as I thought it would be!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM

I wonder if a 2009 onstar module swap would work to make the bluetooth compatible.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

That is what i was looking to find out. I talked to my local dealer and they made some calls. They told me that it wasn't possible but I'm not convinced. I'm thinking there is some sort of work around to get it to work.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SKCobalt
That is what i was looking to find out. I talked to my local dealer and they made some calls. They told me that it wasn't possible but I'm not convinced. I'm thinking there is some sort of work around to get it to work.
Well it's been done, so the answer is yes.

It sounds like you have to get the radio added to the BCM list and possibly have the radio reprogrammed with the VIN from your car. Then you're good to go.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Is this possible with an '05 that has no onstar or XM? Im just interested in the USB and/or AUX port.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mrfitz
I wonder if a 2009 onstar module swap would work to make the bluetooth compatible.
I'm glad that whole radio thing worked out for ya
Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Would you think it would work for an 06?? If not, I'll just add the aux input through the XM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chinelli3589
I'm glad that whole radio thing worked out for ya
Yeah thanks man! Works like a dream.

Would you think it would work for an 06?? If not, I'll just add the aux input through the XM.
Nah, the wiring harnesses are different in 06. Try the aux input through xm.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Thats kind of a yes/no/maybe question.

To date, only one person (on ss.net) has posted about putting an 07+ radio in an 05-06.

Here is the thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/electronics-audio-video-49/2007-hu-does-work-05-06-vid-47419/

In short:

The 07+ radio will work, but steering wheel controls will not, and it is a lot of work. It also requires a trip to the dealer and a tech that is willing to figure it out.

Originally Posted by mrfitz
I wish I could try it. Hope someone does it eventually.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM

OK, this is very interesting! I have a 2007 SS with no onstar and no XM, but I do want that little USB port! If I were to do the swap, would XM be available also? I'd have to add an antenna of course, but that would be no problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM

The radio is only part of the equation. You'd still need the XM/onstar module, which is mounted somewhere on the rear deck behind the back seat.

I imagine the USB feature would be sufficient though.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
Thats kind of a yes/no/maybe question.

To date, only one person (on ss.net) has posted about putting an 07+ radio in an 05-06.

Here is the thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47419

In short:

The 07+ radio will work, but steering wheel controls will not, and it is a lot of work. It also requires a trip to the dealer and a tech that is willing to figure it out.

I wish I could try it. Hope someone does it eventually.
Thats alot of work for just an AUX jack........
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM

ok i need that usb port.... i cant stand driving and then having to manually change the song on the ipod, its almost caused an accident twice.... IM JUST TRYIN TO LISTEN TO MY TUNES YO!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by recklessactn
ok i need that usb port.... i cant stand driving and then having to manually change the song on the ipod, its almost caused an accident twice.... IM JUST TRYIN TO LISTEN TO MY TUNES YO!
Hey man, I still have to change discs!!

Its sad, I can use my iPhone for music in my 10 year old Mustang but not in my 5 year old Cobalt..... Tape deck FTW!!

Quick Reply: 2009 USB Radio in a 2007 SS S/C