Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Anyone install the Isimple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone install the Isimple?

Has anyone installed the Isimple ipod integration into their cobalt that doesnt have XM radio? I want to get my ipod hooked up to my 2006 cobalt ss but I never had XM radio and wanted to know if it is still possible to install without XM?

Heres the link:
http://www.icarkits.com/product_info...oducts_id=3406
Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to iSimple, that is not compatible with our cars.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM

i heard you can tune to like a radio station that picks up your iPod?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Do_WorkSS
i heard you can tune to like a radio station that picks up your iPod?
You can get stuff to do that, that's not what this thread is about though. The link in the OP was about a hard wired media gateway..
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM

just asking.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokey
According to iSimple, that is not compatible with our cars.
lol iWouldnt be surprised. apple tends to install the iMnotcompatablewithanything software on all their iProducts
Old 05-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol iWouldnt be surprised. apple tends to install the iMnotcompatablewithanything software on all their iProducts
bahahahahahahahaha niceee
Old 05-11-2010, 11:21 AM

I bought this isimple kit about a month ago at future shop and i returned it after a week...

First you need the isimple kit and the PGHGM3 harness.

I have a 2005 cobalt LS with the pioneer sound system.

How it works is kinda simple... once you've install the harness and the isimple... u have to press band until you see XM ...once your on XM it will display ipod, and it will allow you to change your songs on your factory head unit.

It was pretty good until it kept crashing on me... first time i was listening to a song very loud, all of a sudden the radio switch to FM mode ... i was like WTF ... kept on doing that radomly...

Then i realise that everytime i press button #1(was the ipod folder button) on the head unit, the sound was changing, i discovered that everytime i pressed on "#1" the EQ was chaging from Custom to classical ...this was enough

so i bring back that shitty isimple to futureshop and had a refund... the PGHGM3 was bought on ebay for 30$...i'm stuck with it.

So my advise is , don't buy this piece of crap... maybe it's working good on other models , but for cobalt it's total crap !

I end up buying a new headunit and the SWI-JACK from pac-audio to keep my steering wheel control. Lol

so rocco11189... don't buy that ...btw i didn't have XM in my car and it still worked,,,as long as you have a band or xm button ... but like i'm telling you, don't buy that. haha

Have a nice day

stevie
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by stevie
I bought this isimple kit about a month ago at future shop and i returned it after a week...

First you need the isimple kit and the PGHGM3 harness.

I have a 2005 cobalt LS with the pioneer sound system.

How it works is kinda simple... once you've install the harness and the isimple... u have to press band until you see XM ...once your on XM it will display ipod, and it will allow you to change your songs on your factory head unit.

It was pretty good until it kept crashing on me... first time i was listening to a song very loud, all of a sudden the radio switch to FM mode ... i was like WTF ... kept on doing that radomly...

Then i realise that everytime i press button #1(was the ipod folder button) on the head unit, the sound was changing, i discovered that everytime i pressed on "#1" the EQ was chaging from Custom to classical ...this was enough

so i bring back that shitty isimple to futureshop and had a refund... the PGHGM3 was bought on ebay for 30$...i'm stuck with it.

So my advise is , don't buy this piece of crap... maybe it's working good on other models , but for cobalt it's total crap !

I end up buying a new headunit and the SWI-JACK from pac-audio to keep my steering wheel control. Lol

so rocco11189... don't buy that ...btw i didn't have XM in my car and it still worked,,,as long as you have a band or xm button ... but like i'm telling you, don't buy that. haha

Have a nice day

stevie
But you can still use the PGHGM3 from PAC that you have right? just as an AUX input for the head unit, and control the ipod manually, would sound just as good, you just need to mount a holder for the pod or something...

That's what I'm planning to do.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Not sure if it's possible, one end goes to the factory radio , the other end has to be connected to the mediagateway(isimple PXAMG)... I'm pretty sure that the pxamg was doing the job of converting the signal and allowing the XM feature to show up on the factory radio.

Maybe i'm missing the point...

Have a look on the pghgm3 instructions ... http://www.pac-audio.com/PacProductD...ons_050108.pdf
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM

all the time.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by stevie
Not sure if it's possible, one end goes to the factory radio , the other end has to be connected to the mediagateway(isimple PXAMG)... I'm pretty sure that the pxamg was doing the job of converting the signal and allowing the XM feature to show up on the factory radio.

Maybe i'm missing the point...

Have a look on the pghgm3 instructions ... http://www.pac-audio.com/PacProductD...ons_050108.pdf
isimple and PAC audio are two different companies that make products that go together, I think, I could be wrong.. The link there is instructions for the media gateway, that as I understand adds functionality to the harness that PAC makes. yet, the product numbers don't make sense. I've seen three products now with PGHGM3 that are all different, but same numbers....

Do you have something that looks like this?

technically that is GM11b I guess, but it has on the info page as posted above the item PGHGM3 on it too.

In that PDF you posted, it has a diagram on page 3, where the harness connects up to the gateway, it seems the gateway is malfuntioning, that is the controller for the media devices I gather.

ok, a little more seraching

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...keyword=pghgm3

This shows the three items that are all PGHGM3.

One is a $20 harness, and two other items 'replace PGHGM3' There are two others, that I was refering two (new product numbers GM11B and GM11b), they both come with that harness as well as a blue box that the audio inputs connect into. One even comes with an ipod cable, but I'm just guessing with that setup the ipod cable does nothing more than a direct audio out with no HU controls of the ipod, as well as charging it.

So I think to get the controls, you use PAC's harness to hook up the iSimple gateway to control and process the ipod... Am I making sense at all? Maybe I'll know more when mine comes in, supposed to be in tomorrow afternoon, but I think I'm getting the one that has the blue box with two cables with RCA and 3.5mm connections on the ends...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys. Im still researching this as of right now. Do our cars have that XM harness or do we need to buy it? If I dont have one does this PAC audio aux input (not the isimple one) still work?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM

the isimple aka peripheral. is the same as PAC. although some of isimples products have additional features the the pac may not vice versus. So make sure you check the packaging and compare the products before you buy them... I sell both at my shop.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by rocco11189
Thanks guys. Im still researching this as of right now. Do our cars have that XM harness or do we need to buy it? If I dont have one does this PAC audio aux input (not the isimple one) still work?
I took my radio out the other night as I don't have xm to see what was there. As expected there is no harness on mine, but the empty plug is there on the back of the stereo to accept a harness such as these ones.