Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Factory Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Radio Question

ok I gotta 2006 Cobalt SS/SC.. ok it comes with the Factory 7 speaker Pioneer system.. now the only Dash kit I can find for my car is one with the LAN system in it... if I'm thinking correctly. that's dealing with the "Oil Life, Fuel Range, Fuel Capacity, Fuel Economy, Coolant Temp.. etc" IN The actual radio Right? in my friend's G6 he scrolls through his actual radio to get to all that. BUT Mine is all in my dash.. the only thing on my radio is the initial audio, XM option (which is turned off), and my Onstar (Which I NEVER use).. Do I Need to get the GM1593 Installation Kit (which has the Lan system) or What? I could use some help lol
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 AM

hang on what are you trying to do, aftermark deck or what... im confused on what your doing
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 AM

There are going to be two kits IIRC one will still allow the DIC to work (along with door chimes), the other will not! But I don't know actually what is involved with them.

Sorry I can't help more!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM

The only thing you are going to lose is your door chimes and blinker sound. You do not need the one with the DIC, as it will not be affected. There are pontiacs (the g6) that would need that.

I know the 07s only need a 15 dollar walmart harness. I suppose the 05 and 06 models only need the same. What you need is the basic dash kit and the simple harness.

If you want your chimes then you may purchase a module that will retain the chime sound and supply it through the speakers, and it may be found on crutchfield.com

I'll look more into this walmart harness.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM

awesome.. Thanks man. I dont care much about the door chimes or blinker sound, they annoy me anyway. so I found the dash kit and 15 dollar GM harness at Crutchfield.. one more question.. the factory amps.. I was told without bypassing those i'll get a noise.. do I need to bypass them?

Also I'm pretty sure the steering wheel controls will be lost as far as the radio is concerned... thats ok. but what about my cruise control.. will that still work?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_ChikMagnet
awesome.. Thanks man. I dont care much about the door chimes or blinker sound, they annoy me anyway. so I found the dash kit and 15 dollar GM harness at Crutchfield.. one more question.. the factory amps.. I was told without bypassing those i'll get a noise.. do I need to bypass them?

Also I'm pretty sure the steering wheel controls will be lost as far as the radio is concerned... thats ok. but what about my cruise control.. will that still work?
I have a hissing noise when the volume is low cause if you don't bypass the amps your amping the signal twice so your also amping any static as well but once I get the volume to about 1/4 volume the hiss is gone, and it's really loud and clear by the time you get to half way, just depends on weather you listen to the stereo low, only time it kinda annoys me is when I'm listening to like talk radio cause you'll here the hiss a bit when they are not talking.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:20 PM

You don't need to bypass the amp, however, this may cause issues down the road. Logically you are outputting an amplified signal into another amplifier, and amplifying it again. You may have some gain or noise issues, and in theory this may lessen the life of the amp. There is a 150 dollar harness that will bypass it, but the trend seems to be screw that and go with the harness.

You will not lose your cruise control.

The steering wheel audio controls will be lost, however they can be recovered with yet another harness, hah.

Would you mind posting a link to the harness you purchased?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 PM

does any one kno what i need to have my onstar ad phone working with an aftermarket deck on my 07 ss/sc???????? i tried 4 different harnesses from fm audio video and all were wrong so i got them to look it up and do it them selvs and now onstar and phone will not work also they ran red wire to fuse..... this i do not like one bit!! is it normal on these cars or are they just as punched as i think they are???????????? if u know how to solve this problem send me an e-mail @ darcylegere@hotmail.com its greatly apprecheated thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
to retail onstar you need the expensive kit period
Old 09-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_SC_ChikMagnet

cruise still works