Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

First major system mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First major system mod?

Ok, so I picked up my brand new yellow SS last week and I can say I have nothing to complain about except the stereo. Yes, I am aware that it has a 7 speaker Pioneer "upgraded" sound system which sounds good don't get me wrong. Anyways, I am going all out for this stereo like I did with my other 2 cars. Here is what we are looking at:

2005 Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Player
Infinity 6X9 Coaxial Speakers
15" Kicker L7 in a custom built vented box
1600 watt Kenwood mono amp
Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp
4 gauge wiring kit
Optima Yellow Top battery

So, I am having the dvd player installed professionally because of the Onstar, XM, and steering wheel controls. My main question is what kind of adapters am I going to need to make this all work? Here is a brief list of things I am concerned about and don't fully understand:

1.) I know I need a dash install kit which is $20 no big deal
2.) Onstar harness? I heard they can run about $150 anyone know which exact harness I need?
3.) Steering wheel control interface? I saw one that PAC maked for about $60 but has anyone used it?
4.) I want to keep the XM and use the factory antenna so what kind of adapters will I need to make this work? Should I buy an XMDirect kit for an Alpine unit?
5.) GM AM/FM antenna adapter is cheap

That's basically my list of concerns about the system. One thing I have heard is that the Pioneer amp is under the dash so I guess when they install it they will have to run the speaker wire to the trunk so I can hook the fronts up to that 4 channel amp.

How much do you think all this is going to cost?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by stealththx
Ok, so I picked up my brand new yellow SS last week and I can say I have nothing to complain about except the stereo. Yes, I am aware that it has a 7 speaker Pioneer "upgraded" sound system which sounds good don't get me wrong. Anyways, I am going all out for this stereo like I did with my other 2 cars. Here is what we are looking at:

2005 Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Player
Infinity 6X9 Coaxial Speakers
15" Kicker L7 in a custom built vented box
1600 watt Kenwood mono amp
Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp
4 gauge wiring kit
Optima Yellow Top battery

So, I am having the dvd player installed professionally because of the Onstar, XM, and steering wheel controls. My main question is what kind of adapters am I going to need to make this all work? Here is a brief list of things I am concerned about and don't fully understand:

1.) I know I need a dash install kit which is $20 no big deal
2.) Onstar harness? I heard they can run about $150 anyone know which exact harness I need?
3.) Steering wheel control interface? I saw one that PAC maked for about $60 but has anyone used it?
4.) I want to keep the XM and use the factory antenna so what kind of adapters will I need to make this work? Should I buy an XMDirect kit for an Alpine unit?
5.) GM AM/FM antenna adapter is cheap

That's basically my list of concerns about the system. One thing I have heard is that the Pioneer amp is under the dash so I guess when they install it they will have to run the speaker wire to the trunk so I can hook the fronts up to that 4 channel amp.

How much do you think all this is going to cost?
get smart and install it yourself...if u need help ask me...i installed the head unit yesterday and hooked up the system earlier today. its not hard at all but takes some time. whatever u put into it is what you will get out of it. if u install it yourself your saving at least $120 on speaker installation....$50 on head unit.....another $70 to run system wires and hook ups.... which is a good chunk of change and one more thing you need to purchase is the head unit mounting kit. which i bought offline for $7 so thats pretty cheap. and make sure u buy the correct harness, i bought 2 wrong ones and messed up my guages but finally went to American(pro installers) and got the correct one and works like wonders...
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by co-yellow-balt
get smart and install it yourself...if u need help ask me...i installed the head unit yesterday and hooked up the system earlier today. its not hard at all but takes some time. whatever u put into it is what you will get out of it. if u install it yourself your saving at least $120 on speaker installation....$50 on head unit.....another $70 to run system wires and hook ups.... which is a good chunk of change and one more thing you need to purchase is the head unit mounting kit. which i bought offline for $7 so thats pretty cheap. and make sure u buy the correct harness, i bought 2 wrong ones and messed up my guages but finally went to American(pro installers) and got the correct one and works like wonders...
I pretty much have a good idea how to put all the stuff in but does anyone know if there is an ONSTAR harness out yet for the GM-LAN system?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Hey can you send me the link of where you got the harness for 7 bucks. Just bought my new pioneer deck and want to install it ASAP. Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 04:13 AM

Can anybody followup if there is an Onstar harness available for the Cobalts yet?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by stealththx
Can anybody followup if there is an Onstar harness available for the Cobalts yet?
yes it should be out there or if not check with the nearest installers, they might carry it. it should be like a universal onstar since most cars have it. i think it might run ya about like $70. but other than that lemme know if u need help, if u got aim/aol....my sn is ihavewhiteeyes.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 AM

I need to know what kind of alarm system should I get if I have the manual door locks.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 AM

I don't know...I installed my 2 Inifiny 10's with my 800 watt Pioneer amp into my already Pioneer optioned Cobalt SS and it sounds really good. Only if it had an aftermarkt headunit it would probably be alot clearer. That's really all it lacks. but it's not bad for a basically stock system. I just don't want to install my aftermart headunit and it looks like ass.

Anyone have a picture of one with a headunit?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Suggestion for you,buy a big capacitor and 2 more amps for yours speakers your sub is just too powerful for your setup