Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

i hate wiring.. advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate wiring.. advice?

alright, so lets first start off by saying what i all have. under dash led's, boost/oil/AF gauges, pioneer avic d3, after market power window kit. i had originally had the windows. had one hot wire from the trunk.. as i got things i got lazy and spliced it in.. well the avic d3 is the most recent.. once i installed it my power windows stopped working and i kept popping the fuse.. friend got the bright idea of upping the fuse.. well didnt turn out great. i now have a glob of wires that need rewired. wanna do it right this time. what gauge wire should i use.. im getting frustrated... also is there any better place to run wires besides above the pedals? sunday we ripping the seats out and peeling the carpet back and going at it.. just need lots a wire connecters and inline fuses..
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by klutch814
alright, so lets first start off by saying what i all have. under dash led's, boost/oil/AF gauges, pioneer avic d3, after market power window kit. i had originally had the windows. had one hot wire from the trunk.. as i got things i got lazy and spliced it in.. well the avic d3 is the most recent.. once i installed it my power windows stopped working and i kept popping the fuse.. friend got the bright idea of upping the fuse.. well didnt turn out great. i now have a glob of wires that need rewired. wanna do it right this time. what gauge wire should i use.. im getting frustrated... also is there any better place to run wires besides above the pedals? sunday we ripping the seats out and peeling the carpet back and going at it.. just need lots a wire connecters and inline fuses..
Use the same size wire that was there stock, get a relay and wire the supply leg with 16 gauge wire and a 30amp fuse directly to the battery, then the circuit switch leg of the relay to the wires you burnt up, and then of course you have a ground to wire up and the output from the relay which will go to the things such as the power windows that need power fed to them. This way you won't burn up any more wires. I tried to dumb it down as much as possible. I am an Electrical Engineer so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

wait can you explain that better? and like a list of **** i need?
sorry im stupid at wiring obviously lol
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Step 1: Replace wires you burnt up with the same size wire.

Step 2: Run a 16 gauge wire directly from the positive terminal on the battery to where ever you tied into the wires that you previously burnt up. You will have to put a fuse line in between the battery and that 16 gauge wire with a 30 Amp fuse installed. Do not hook the 16 gauge wire up to those wires you had burnt up, just run it to that location so you have easy access to all the wires you need for the relay.

Step 3: You need a 30 Amp general purpose relay for lights and etc., you can get them for like $5 at an autoparts store in the electrical section.

Step 4: There will be 5 pins on the relay. Buy some female spade crimp connectors for the larger size ones so you can fit them on the pins of the relay (I recommend the weatherproof ones as they are insulated and covered better) and check for the gauge of your wires because they have different size crimp connectors for different gauges of wire.

Step 5: On the back of the relay package, there will be a diagram something similar to this: Refer to that diagram for what I am about to tell you.

Step 6: Wire your fused 16 gauge wire that goes to the battery to pin 30 or the supply pin on the relay. Keep in mind the spade crimp connectors, they make this job easier and cleaner.

Step 7: Wire pin number 86 of the relay to the wire that you previously burnt up, it doesn't really matter what size wire you put to pin 86 as it will not be pulling hardly any current. What pin 86 does is when it gets power it activates the relay which causes pin 87 to output power.

Step 8: Wire pin number 87 to your power windows and everything else that you need to supply.

Step 9: Wire pin number 85 to the body of the car/ground(note: for this portion, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a ring terminal crimp connector to make it look neater).

Now that you have done all of this, you now will never burn up those wires again and your power windows and etc. will still get power only at the times they did before you burnt up the wires. You are pulling power directly from the battery with a dedicated wire for your windows and other things so depending on if you expand your electrical equipment later on down the road or not, you may want to upgrade that wire to something more like 12 gauge, or you can just run another relay with another wire feed from the battery just like I told you here.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 04-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

thank you so much