Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Neutral Safety Switch-Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch-Remote Start

So my roomate was installing a Security/Remote start in my 2006 SS/SC and he realized there is no Neutral Safety Switch. I thought this was really odd. The option to get it to work correctly would be to install a switch to the button on the clutch so i can disengage it while driving so i can still use my cruise control. Thoughts on this.. good or bad idea? Besides the safety part of accidentally leaving the car in gear any other things we should be aware of?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not installing a Remote Start on your Manual Transmission car would be the Safest Part...
Old 12-21-2008, 02:49 PM

I was thinking of doing this on my car as well. Did you find a kit that would work for the SS??
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
Not installing a Remote Start on your Manual Transmission car would be the Safest Part...
Why?There are remote starts designed for manual transmissions.

As for bypassing the clutch,its easy.Your gonna have to wire up a relay to energize the clutch wire in order for it to start.No need to install any switches on the clutch switch.I hope your friend knows what hes doing cause installing a remote start on these cars is not easy.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 AM

A remote start on a manual car is Illegal in some places. By law you are not allowed to have one. You better check that out. Its prob. not the safest thing to do so be carefull.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:33 AM

Of all manual transmissions guys, those on this board should be the ones not thinking of doing this cause it means parking in neutral, and with the shitty e-brakes in Cobalts you wanna not park in gear? No thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
lol i normally park in neutral. mainly a habit thing. Im getting better but not by much
Old 12-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i park in neutral as well, if someone hits me, it doesn't break things in the car. that being said, its habit as well, probably a bad one, but i check me e-brake, and have it inspected every other month just about.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Banned

i think compustar or some other company makes a remote start pager system specifically for manual. you must have the car in nuetral and have the ebrake up before you turn off the car or the remote start will be disengaged. i'm getting one for my next car for sure.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 AM

I Install compustar and have done so in a number of manual transmissions as well as had mine for over 2 years (as long as I've owned this vehicle). These are some of the easiest vehicles in terms of dealing with the clutch..... if you want more info I can be specific but I don't want to see anymore posts about stupid push buttons or whatever ideas the uneducated people that feel the need to post are talking about...

Originally Posted by Unforgiv3n
So my roomate was installing a Security/Remote start in my 2006 SS/SC and he realized there is no Neutral Safety Switch. I thought this was really odd. The option to get it to work correctly would be to install a switch to the button on the clutch so i can disengage it while driving so i can still use my cruise control. Thoughts on this.. good or bad idea? Besides the safety part of accidentally leaving the car in gear any other things we should be aware of?
You should be very fearful of letting your roomate continue to work on your vehicle especially if he came up with this switch idea.

Last edited by raptors_67; 12-24-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptors_67
I Install compustar and have done so in a number of manual transmissions as well as had mine for over 2 years (as long as I've owned this vehicle). These are some of the easiest vehicles in terms of dealing with the clutch..... if you want more info I can be specific but I don't want to see anymore posts about stupid push buttons or whatever ideas the uneducated people that feel the need to post are talking about...

You should be very fearful of letting your roomate continue to work on your vehicle especially if he came up with this switch idea.
so how is compustar's system....is it safe etc.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 AM

I have the CompuStar Pro P2W9000FMR
Its a bit of a bitch to get to work on the 07's but other than that it rocks.
The Canadian version has longer range than the US model (4500 feet compared to 3000 feet) so if you can see if you can get the international model
Your going to have to force it to learn the tach, and make sure you get the november 28 update for the idata link modules or its going to cause issues going into reservation mode
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM

what a canadian version? damn i need that then
Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
I have the CompuStar Pro P2W9000FMR
Its a bit of a bitch to get to work on the 07's but other than that it rocks.
The Canadian version has longer range than the US model (4500 feet compared to 3000 feet) so if you can see if you can get the international model
Your going to have to force it to learn the tach, and make sure you get the november 28 update for the idata link modules or its going to cause issues going into reservation mode
You have to "force" every compustar to learn tach.... lol unless you're going to use voltage sense or one of the other engine running detection modes.... you're just asking for problems using these other methods, go to an injector wire or even one of the coil packs for your tach signal (injector wire is preferable in cold climates... more consistent at varying temps). Not sure what update you're speaking of, If there was an update on the 28th I havent put it on mine as it's been in the car for over 2 years now. The 07's are actually an easier install than pre 07's.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
what a canadian version? damn i need that then
I sell the Canadian versions.... had no idea about the range difference but I have heard the US was not allowed to operate on the same frequency as Canadians for these starters.

Last edited by raptors_67; 12-26-2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-26-2008, 02:54 AM

lol want to install it for me too? im gonna see what all i can do this yr at ces hopefully pick em up
Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 AM

Its actually called the "international" model, but since we don't get very many Euro or Mexican posters here I figured it mainly applied to Canadians, but yeah any where out side the US.

The numbers on it are 1500 meters compared to 3000 feet
So 3.33 feet to every 1 meter, 1500x3.33= 4995 feet.

Don't get me wrong 3000 feet is still a good distance but close to 5000 is much better, even without the remote start the added distance for the 2 way paging system is an added bonus.

Its not often that we Canadians get the better end of anything so I guess we take them where we can get them
Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 AM

lol i normally park in neutral. mainly a habit thing. Im getting better but not by much
your not suppose to park in neutral?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 AM

You have to "force" every compustar to learn tach.... lol unless you're going to use voltage sense or one of the other engine running detection modes.... you're just asking for problems using these other methods, go to an injector wire or even one of the coil packs for your tach signal (injector wire is preferable in cold climates... more consistent at varying temps). Not sure what update you're speaking of, If there was an update on the 28th I havent put it on mine as it's been in the car for over 2 years now. The 07's are actually an easier install than pre 07's
I stated before that security is just not my area of expertice, stereo's I know alarms are like the dark side the moon for me. I do know what problems they had installing mine so thats the info I passed on
I just had mine updated, so check Idata link or Compustar support for the update, other than I can't tell you much.

I am however blowing fuses for the remote start left right and center, and as much as I love the guys who did my stereo work they kinda screwed the pouch on this alarm, any idea's on why i'd be blowing fuses.I'm sure its an install issue but what part of the install would do this
Also there is an issue with a voltage drop in one of the modules around the ignition, its supposed to put out 12 but it cycles anywhere from 3-9 volts sometimes. Have you every run into this problem and if so how did you fix it

BTW- I think they did go to the injector wire but tried the other way first this is what caused the issue with the forced tach
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
your not suppose to park in neutral?
not really. i actually had my old camaro roll out in the road in the middle of class when i used to go to college. felt weird be called on the intercom like in high school

You have to "force" every compustar to learn tach.... lol unless you're going to use voltage sense or one of the other engine running detection modes.... you're just asking for problems using these other methods, go to an injector wire or even one of the coil packs for your tach signal (injector wire is preferable in cold climates... more consistent at varying temps). Not sure what update you're speaking of, If there was an update on the 28th I havent put it on mine as it's been in the car for over 2 years now. The 07's are actually an easier install than pre 07's.

I sell the Canadian versions.... had no idea about the range difference but I have heard the US was not allowed to operate on the same frequency as Canadians for these starters.
any chance you can pm me a price?

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 12-26-2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 AM

I'd be willing to bet that they are blowing fuses because they are trying to trigger a start as you would do with pretty well every other vehicle out there, you dont need to do this on the cobalts. These cars actually do not have a wire that goes 12volt to trigger the starter to crank (as im sure everyone has noticed they dont have to hold the key forward to start the car) . These cars actually start after the ignition wire goes from 12 volts to 0 volts at the column. I can't recall if the 06 and previous years are the same but I know the 07's are for sure.

not really. i actually had my old camaro roll out in the road in the middle of class when i used to go to college. felt weird be called on the intercom like in high school

any chance you can pm me a price?
I will PM you a price tomorrow if I remember to look it up at work. I would have to order one in for you which takes a few days as we've been goin crazy on sales of these 2-ways since it's such a cold winter here this year.

Last edited by raptors_67; 12-27-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-27-2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Unforgiv3n

the neutral saftey switch your refering to .......is your clutch pedal !

just in case no one has pointed that out to you
Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 AM

I'd be willing to bet that they are blowing fuses because they are trying to trigger a start as you would do with pretty well every other vehicle out there, you dont need to do this on the cobalts. These cars actually do not have a wire that goes 12volt to trigger the starter to crank (as im sure everyone has noticed they dont have to hold the key forward to start the car) . These cars actually start after the ignition wire goes from 12 volts to 0 volts at the column. I can't recall if the 06 and previous years are the same but I know the 07's are for sure.

I will PM you a price tomorrow if I remember to look it up at work. I would have to order one in for you which takes a few days as we've been goin crazy on sales of these 2-ways since it's such a cold winter here this year.
its all good im not planning on spending any unnecessary money before ces.... theres going to be a 5.1 audio booth again and last year i just happened to pick up 2 disks (whihc was all i could really afford) this year im planning on having enough to get as many as i want. I probably wont find anything special but hey they might have the missy album
Old 12-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Yeah,my 06 is like that.